KDE hosts a variety of websites, from the highly dynamic to info, documentation, and promotional sites. Volunteering involves very different aspects ranging from:
- writing content
- moderating in the forum
- coordinating announcements
- staying in contact with KDE developers to be aware of latest changes
- administering dynamic sites like forum, wikis
- watching out for spammers in those
- enhancing functionality of the codebase
- styling/designing the look of our sites
- etc etc
The web team works closely with the promo and the sysadmin teams to make sure that KDE has a nice-looking and functional web presence.
There are a variety of options to get involved. KDE websites use either its own framework (Capacity, see below), or one of the well known frameworks around the web. This includes:
KDE's web needs steadily change, and there is always room for coders who are able to contribute HTML, CSS or PHP.
Discussion about kde websites
- IRC channel: #kde-www
- Matrix channel: #kde-www
- Mailinglist: kde-www See http://kde.org/mailinglists/ for details
Setting up kde.org or other capacity based website on your computer
In order to do any development you will want to have a local version of the websites to test before committing. The instructions for how to set this up are here: Local Website Setup.
Documentation for MediaWiki
KDE's MediaWiki instance are using the family setup.
The theme is located at Aether-mediawiki gitlab and the extensions are the following:
- And the translation bundle
Documentation for the Jekyll theme
Documentation for the cdn export (webpack)
The code is available at websites/aether-sass.
Websites using this theme:
- The wikis: userbase, techbase and community
Documentation for Capacity
The current default framework for many *.kde.org domains is the /media-framework, aka Capacity. Any documentation about this should go here:
Working with Wordpress on kde.org
Note: this is not reflective of the current state of kde.org but will be helpful once kde.org has been ported to neverland and wordpress. Wordpress Help
- Discussion for a new site here