KDE Visual Design Group/Plasma 25th Anniversary Edition Wallpaper Competition
Submit your designs to the subforum we have set up for the competition.
Read everything on this page very carefully before entering your submission.
- The deadline for submissions is August 23rd, 2021, at midnight UTC time. The winning wallpaper will be announced on August 30th, 2021.
- Your wallpaper must be your original and created specifically for the contest.
- Your wallpaper must be released to KDE under the CC-BY-SA-4.0 license.
- You are allowed a max of 3 submissions.
- Images must be in PNG format.
- If asked, you should be able to provide the source files used to create the wallpaper in a non-proprietary format, like an Inkscape-compatible SVG, .blend, .kra, .xcf, etc.
- The minimum required size for wallpapers is 4K measurements (3840x2160), although 5K (5120x2880) is preferred.
- A companion phone-sized (1080x2280) wallpaper for Plasma Mobile can also be submitted.
- Image files must be hosted on an external (non-KDE) site without compression. Two sites that host images without compression for free are imgbox.com and postimages.org. You can also upload the image to your preferred cloud storage provider, such as Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive.
- Any submissions containing racist, sexist, demeaning, or inappropriate content in any way will be disqualified immediately.
- Any submissions containing copyrighted material from third parties will be disqualified and erased.
- Disqualified entries and deletions are final and cannot be appealed.
- You have to provide to us a name and an email; the name will be displayed as author in the wallpaper list and the email will be used to contact you if your wallpaper is selected as a winner, or in the future.
Design Guidance & Suggestions
- **Submitted images no longer have to be stylistically consistent with past wallpapers.**
- Do not add the Plasma version number (Plasma 25th Anniversary Edition) into your wallpaper or any other text elements.
- Any text or logos should integrate into the wallpaper design and not be used for quick identification. Text and logos should not drive attention away from the main design of your original piece.
Judges for the competition are part of the KDE's Visual Design Group and other esteemed Community members. At the end of the submission period, six finalists will be selected for a second round. The second round will last one week.
The selection team recognizes the need for selecting a quality image that will be used as a default wallpaper in Plasma 25th Anniversary Edition release. Images selected during the competition may need additional changes to attain this status. During the second round, participants may be asked for edits to their submissions to make stronger pieces. After the second round ends, the winning wallpaper will be selected.
While there will only be one winning selection, other submissions may be included as optional wallpapers in Plasma 25th Anniversary Edition, or used in future releases. The judges' decision is final.
Top 3 winners will receive 3-month subscription to Blender Cloud. That includes hundred of hours of training on Blender - ranging from animation to UV unwrapping - plus even more assets to get you started right off the bat. If you are an artist, you'll get a chance of learning more of one of the most common way of creating art - 3D rendering!
Help and Feedback
You can ask the VDG for help and feedback any time during the competition!
Also check out the discussion in the competition's subforum to get tips and feedback.