KDE Visual Design Group
This is the community wiki for the KDE VDG.
What is the Visual Design Group?
The Visual Design Group is a group where designers meet, talk openly about the Plasma desktop used in many Linux computers across the world. Our group aims to bring the best designers together, find rising talent and combine them with the old guard. To help refine visuals and interface in cooperation with developers, interface designers and the KDE Marketing team – using open cooperation and collaboration as guidelines.
We follow various guidelines in order to help many developers and application designers to help them in their creation journey. If you are looking to create an application for Plasma, please look for these guidelines to aid your design efforts. In this manner, we keep Plasma looking consistent and vibrant. If you're planning to design a user interface for a QWidgets-based, desktop-only application, first consult the Classic KDE Human Interface Guidelines (HIG). For applications that run on desktop and mobile, consult the Kirigami Human Interface Guidelines (HIG).
If you want to share your ideas visually, please use our Breeze widget theme. This is a collection of SVG elements to put together your interface visually using Inkscape or any other SVG editor. We have created a Mockup Toolkit.
The primary purpose of this wiki is to capture the results of those design discussions in a permanent place for future reference.
Projects We Are Involved In
- Plasma Logo Contest
- Icon HIG clean-up project
- Calamares - a Linux installer
- Music Player - a music and media player
- Image Viewer - a tool to view, sort and apply basic manipulations to images
- Muon Discover - A software library explorer and installation manager.
- LibreOffice Breeze theme
- System Settings Application - New design work for the System Settings application. This does not include redesigns of the individual kcms - just the System Settings "container" application itself.
- Plasma 5 Desktop Configuration - Design considerations for Plasma 5 desktop configuration
- Plasma 5 Desktop Layout - Design considerations for a default desktop layout
- Megathemes - one place to control all visuals.
- Plasma Mobile - Design work for Plasma Mobile
- Plasma Activities - Design work on Activities
- Unified Login - Work on login from Grub to Ksplash
- Gestures - Design for touch-gesture input in Plasma
- Plasma Mycroft - Virtual Assistant for the Plasma desktop
The Visual Design Group is using Telegram to communicate. Please refer to these channels for any questions: