KDE at FOSDEM 2014
FOSDEM 2013, 1-2 Febuary, ULB Campus Solbosch, Brussels, Belgium
- KDE will be part of the Desktops DevRoom on Saturday only (schedule), devroom organised by Pau Garcia i Quiles
- KDE will have a stall in building K, Level 1
Please add yourself and your details if you are coming
|Name||Available to help on the stall?||Saturday meal?||Accommodation?||Phone number|
|Pau Garcia i Quiles||Sunday||Yes||Ibis Sainte Catherine||+34660149580|
|John Layt||Both days "I'd like to attend at least 1 talk for a change"||Yes||Max Hotel||+44-78-1285-2010|
|Boud + Irina||Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning (bit unsure, sorry)||No||Hotel Galia||+31 620 839 63|
|Kevin Krammer||Saturday and Sunday||Yes||NH City Centre|
|Jonathan Riddell||Saturday and Sunday but giving talk Saturday 13:30||Yes||Ibis||+447941 938 912|
|Rohan Garg||Yes ( Need to work out schedule )||Yes||Ibis||+34625112103|
|Albert Astals Cid||Yes||Ibis Sainte Catherine|
|Aleix Pol Gonzalez||Yes||Ibis Sainte Catherine|
|Àlex Fiestas||Yes||Ibis Sainte Catherine|
|Albert Vaca Cintora||Yes||Ibis Sainte Catherine|
|Lydia Pintscher||I'll be around every now and then but also need to be at the Wikimedia booth and in the devrooms and give 2 talks||Probably not||Astrid Central|
|Víctor Blázquez||Yes||Ibis Sainte Catherine|
|Claudia Rauch||Yes||Yes||not sure yet||+49 178 522 3086|
|José Millán Soto||Yes||Ibis Sainte Catherine|
|Antonio Larrosa||Maybe, I still have to check the schedule||Yes||Exe Sablon|
|Mirko Boehm||No||Yes||+49 163 635 4826|
|Martin Holec||Yes||Radisson Blu EU|
|Simon Edwards||Yes||Ibis Sainte Catherine|
|Andreas Cord-Landwehr||No||Hotel Du Congres|
|Miquel Canes Gonzalez||Yes||Adagio Brussels Centre Monnaie|
|Matthias Klumpp||Maybe||Centre Vincent Van Gogh (CHAB)|
Cross Desktop Room with Gnome, Enlightenment, LXQt and Unity on Saturday only. Accepted talks are in the schedule.
We will have a two-table stall in building K first floor
|Name badges||Jonathan Riddell||ordered|
|Work out what to demo||XXX||XXX|
|Table cloths - 2 x large blue||Claudia|
|Swag (T-shirts, etc)||Claudia|
|Amigurumi Konquis||José Millán|
|Posters||Jonathan Riddell||JR got a poster stand|
|Manifesto Business Cards||(was John Layt in 2013)|
|Join The Game forms||Claudia||(Jonathan has some, was Lydia in 2013)|
|FLA forms||Lydia||Lydia will bring some|
|Krita DVDs & Books||(was Boud in 2013 -- we sold out in 2013! And the new dvd's aren't ready yet)|
|Duct Tape or similar||To stick up stuff on glass where masking/parcel tape is not strong enough|
Got equipment for the stall? Add here
|21" wide Touchscreen monitor||John Layt||Bringing from UK, possibly use as large Plasma Active demo|
|17" standard monitor||John Layt||Able to bring from UK if needed|
|HTPC x 2||John Layt||Bringing from UK|
|Nexus 7 with Plasma Active||John Layt||Bringing from UK if needed|
|MacBook with KDE MacPorts||John Layt||Bringing from UK|
|Windows computer||jriddell||ooh KDE on Windows|
|Improv||jriddell||if it arrives in time|
|KF 5 and Plasma 2 demos||jriddell and shadeslayer||needs neon 5 image|
Got any posters? bring them!
|KDE||jriddell||poster stand arrived|
|Kubuntu||jriddell||poster stand arrived|
FOSDEM will hold the usual beer event at Delirium again on the Friday evening from 18:00. See you there, please try to wear something KDE to raise our visibility.
Jonathan has booked a pizza buffet at Mamma Roma (Dansaert 17 rue du Pont de la Carpe) on Saturday evening for 24 people from 20:30. Don't be late.
Post Event Review from 2013, to be considered for 2014
- New venue from 2012 now allows posters to be stuck on glass walls
- No ethernet in new venue, make sure all hardware has working wifi
- Tablets popular as flashy "attract-mode" gadgets, but ExoPC's became unstable from prolonged use.
- Flag made a good impact, was hung from string cellotaped to glass walls (masking tape too weak)
- Mostly worked that people pitched in when about, but would have been nice to have a list of attendees who were able to be more coordinated. Asking people to commit to a whole days booth duty is too much, asking for just 1 hour may get a better response.
- Use G+ Events to try invite and co-ordinate people
- More announcements 2-4 weeks before via the Dot and social media and to call for volunteers
- Perhaps enable use of @kdecommunity twitter and G+ account by someone in attendance to post messages during event
- Swag sold out too quickly and new products popular, discuss with Claudia around numbers and variety as to what is feasible. Needs someone coming by car or local to Brussels if we want more swag, otherwise too hard for one person.
- Make sure have FLA and JTG forms
- Any printing needs lead time of 2-4 weeks to keep costs down, so needs to be decided at least a month out. Any planning must start in November/December
- Was good to have Qt booth next door, lots of mutual traffic and help
- 2014 will be a good chance to have KDE Frameworks 5 as the focus, push their cross-desktop nature, maybe feature a couple of key apps. One suggestion is a live-drawing demo with Krita, maybe sell digital caricatures?
This page was last edited on 31 January 2014, at 15:49. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.