KDE at FOSDEM 2013
FOSDEM 2013, 2-3 Febuary, ULB Campus Solbosch, Brussels, Belgium
- KDE will be part of the cross desktop devroom on Saturday and Sunday, talks needed, Pau Garcia i Quiles organising, see below
- KDE will (probably) have a stall (REQUESTED BUT NOT YET CONFIRMED)
Cross Desktop Room with Enlightenment, Gnome, Razor, Unity and XFCE.
Accepted talks are in the schedule.
Please add your name if you can help on the stall over the weekend
|Helper Name||When available|
|John Layt||Saturday and Sunday, but I would like to see some talks this year :-)|
|Adriaan de Groot||Saturday and Sunday.|
|Ingo Klöcker||Saturday and Sunday. (Partially. I'd like to attend some talks this year.)|
|Lydia Pintscher||not sure yet|
|David Edmundson||Always ready to help|
Stall To Do
|Name badges||Jonathan Riddell||Arrived|
|Work out what to demo||XXX||XXX|
|Table cloths - 2 x large blue||John Layt||Arrived|
|Swag (T-shirts, etc)||Claudia||Ordered|
|Posters||Jonathan Riddell||JR getting a poster stand. more would be good.|
|Manifesto Business Cards||John Layt||Ordered 500, should arrive in time|
|Join The Game forms||Lydia||???|
|Krita DVD's & Books||Boud||Bringing|
|Distro CD's||???||JR unable to provide Kubuntu CD's, awaiting word from Jos for openSuse|
|21" wide Touchscreen monitor||John Layt||Bringing from UK, possibly use as large Plasma Active demo|
|17" standard monitor||John Layt||Able to bring from UK if needed|
|2 x Acer Nettops, 1 with KDE Windows||John Layt||Bringing from UK|
|Wetab Tablet with Plasma Active||John Layt||Bringing from UK if needed|
|MacBook with KDE MacPorts||John Layt||Bringing from UK|
|computer for KDE Windows||XXX||XXX|
People and Accommodation
FSFE is booking hotel and will let KDE people tag along. Contact Claudia for details asap.
FOSDEM will hold the usual beer event at Delirium again on the Friday evening. See you there, please try to wear something KDE to raise our visibility (also: a badge with your name will make identification easier!)
Post Event Review from 2011, to be considered for 2012
Awesome event, thanks all for helping. Add any thoughts so we can improve for next year:
- Stall had no large KDE sign, get a poster stand or cloth flag (hall of flags did good ones for Akademy 2007) with KDE logo for next year
- Better table cloths / KDE signs to go on front of tables.
- Saturday night was good but should plan ahead with printed directions. Schedule/book for 8pm, 7:30pm was unachievable.
- larger screens for demo machines would be cool (like openSUSE had), needs better transport. Perhaps hire locally or arrange for openSUSE to transport on their bus with their large ones??
- No way to sign up to Join the Game on the day, we should have forms and accept cash for this.
- print off crossdesktop dev room timetable to put on 2nd room door and stall (also any other KDE talks elsewhere)
- KDE stickers good but libreoffice looked very smart in jumpers, matching KDE jumpers would be awesome. The bright blue t-shirts work well, just need to be different to any on sale.
- Some kind of attract-mode animation / slideshow / deskcast to play on large screen(s) when not in use
- I have access to a digital projector (aka beamer), Mozilla were using one but I'm not sure how useful it was given the limited space.
- New t-shirt designs
- Wider variety of swag to give away or sell?
- Contact more distros in advance for KDE CD's to hand out, Fedora were keen as were Pardus, perhaps also Mageia and one of the *BSD's?
- KDE on Windows was very popular, perhaps talk to the Windows team about an installer CD to give away? I have been trying to find a sponsor but neither Microsoft USA nor Microsoft Spain are interested -- Pau
- Formal dressing (suits) at the stall? Postgres and others do that and it makes the project look more professional. Maybe a mixture of informal dressing and suits to make sure every visitor will feel comfortable?
Post Event Review from 2012, to be considered for 2013
- Awesome event, lovely KDE people, good stall, good devroom
- Needs overall coordinator, 2011 had Jonathan for stall but lacked energy and Pau for devroom who did a nice job
- stall needed good posters, well thought about marketing points
- we need a driver to carry equipment and people to and around brussels
- swap telephone numbers before so we can stay in contact
Post Event Review from 2013, to be considered for 2014
- New venue from 2012 now allows posters to be stuck on glass walls
- No ethernet in new venue, make sure all hardware has working wifi
- Tablets popular as flashy "attract-mode" gadgets, but ExoPC's became unstable from prolonged use.
- Flag made a good impact, was hung from string cellotaped to glass walls (masking tape too weak)
- Mostly worked that people pitched in when about, but would have been nice to have a list of attendees who were able to be more coordinated. Asking people to commit to a whole days booth duty is too much, asking for just 1 hour may get a better response.
- Use G+ Events to try invite and co-ordinate people
- More announcements 2-4 weeks before via the Dot and social media and to call for volunteers
- Perhaps enable use of @kdecommunity twitter and G+ account by someone in attendance to post messages during event
- Swag sold out too quickly and new products popular, discuss with Claudia around numbers and variety as to what is feasible. Needs someone coming by car or local to Brussels if we want more swag, otherwise too hard for one person.
- Make sure have FLA and JTG forms
- Any printing needs lead time of 2-4 weeks to keep costs down, so needs to be decided at least a month out. Any planning must start in November/December
- Was good to have Qt booth next door, lots of mutual traffic and help
- 2014 will be a good chance to have KDE Frameworks 5 as the focus, push their cross-desktop nature, maybe feature a couple of key apps. One suggestion is a live-drawing demo with Krita, maybe sell digital caricatures?
This page was last edited on 4 February 2013, at 14:58. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.