KDE at FOSDEM 2011
FOSDEM 2011, 5-6 Febuary, ULB Campus Solbosch, Brussels, Belgium
- KDE will be part of the cross desktop devroom on Saturday and Sunday, talks needed, BCoppens organising, see below
- KDE has a stall, jriddell organising, see below
Cross Desktop Room with Gnome and XFCE.
Saturday, Febuary 6, KDE: 1230-1900
Room Host - BCoppens(?)
Sunday, February 7, Cross Desktop Room
Room Host - BCoppens(?)
We're looking for developers, users and contributors to submit talks for inclusion on the program. We are specifically looking for topics that are of interest to the users and developers of all desktop environments.
Please submit your proposals to: [email protected]
Please include the following information when submitting a proposal:
- Your name
- The title of your talk (please be descriptive, as titles will be
listed with ~250 from other projects)
- A short abstract of one to two paragraphs
The deadline for submissions is Wednesday 22nd December 2010. FOSDEM will be held on the weekend of 5 and 6th February 2011.
Please add your name if you can help on the stall over the weekend
|Helper Name||When available|
|Jonathan Riddell||Saturday and Sunday|
|John Layt||Saturday and Sunday (just not the whole time this time, eh?)|
|Milian Wolff||Saturday and Sunday|
|Claudia Rauch||Saturday and Sunday|
|Victor Cărbune||Saturday and Sunday|
|Kenny Duffus||Saturday and Sunday|
|Frank Karlitschek||Saturday and Sunday|
|Lydia Pintscher||Saturday and Sunday|
|Irina Rempt||Saturday (but at 80% efficiency, still recuperating from surgery)|
|Harald Sitter||Saturday and Sunday|
|Maximilian Fellner||Saturday and Sunday|
|David Edmundson||Saturday and Sunday|
Stall To Do
|T-shirts||Claudia||Designs to be ordered (how many?)|
|Contributor [leaflet]||Claudia||to be printed|
|Laptop lock cables||Claudia||2 from e.V. office|
|Contributor Badges||Claudia||Large KDE badges for contributors|
|Money box and float||claudia|
|Vertical poster stand||Jonathan||I have a Kubuntu poster I can bring if appropriate|
|CDs||Jonathan||ordering to send to Bart Cerneels|
|Demo machines||various||see below|
|Power extension cables||??||needed. UK and Europe|
|Blu tac||Jonathan||will bring|
|Project Neon/Calligra/Owncloud?||JRiddell||my laptop, to be installed, .docx file to be found, owncloud to be setup|
|N9||leinir||to bring, to install KDE bits/calligra|
|Kolab||Paul Adams||his computer, jriddell monitor, to be installed|
|Plasma Active||Claudia||her touchpad, to be installed/calligra active installed|
People and Accommodation
Let us know you're coming. Claudia has booked accommodation for KDE people who requested it here. If you still want accommodation there are many central Brussels hotels available for around 60 Euro via booking sites such as hotels.com and laterooms.com.
|Name||Flight No/train time||Please book me accommodation|
|Jonathan Riddell||don't know yet||Yes|
|John Layt||Arrive Fri on Eurostar at 9:42, depart Sunday at 18:50||Booked at Hotel Astrid|
|Milian Wolff||don't know yet||Yes|
|Claudia Rauch||probably Friday morning||yes|
|Kenny Duffus||thursday evening||no (staying at Génération Europe hostel)|
|Pau Garcia i Quiles||Friday morning (Charleroi)||no (staying at EuroCapital Hotel *)|
|Irina Rempt||Friday night (but not at events)||no (staying at Novotel with Boudewijn)|
|Frank Karlitschek||don't know yet||Yes|
|Victor Carbune||Friday morning (Charleroi)||No|
|Paul 'padams' Adams||Arr: Friday, 1735 (BRU)||No, ta!|
- Note: EuroCapital is a great hotel, inexpensive if booked online, clean, friendly, excellent breakfast included; but do bring your own power strip (only one free outlet in single room) and a long network cable (they do lend cables to plug into the phone for free wired internet, but those are only 2 feet long).
FOSDEM will hold the usual beer event at Delirium again on the Friday evening. See you there, please try to wear something KDE to raise our visibility.
Anyone know any vegan friendly restaurants? House party maybe?
Pataya might be a possibility it is a nice central Thai restaurant that some of us have been to before - Kenny
Post Event Review
Awesome event, thanks all for helping. Add any thoughts so we can improve for next year:
- Stall had no large KDE sign, get a poster stand or cloth flag (hall of flags did good ones for Akademy 2007) with KDE logo for next year
- Better table cloths / KDE signs to go on front of tables.
- Saturday night was good but should plan ahead with printed directions. Schedule/book for 8pm, 7:30pm was unachievable.
- larger screens for demo machines would be cool (like openSUSE had), needs better transport. Perhaps hire locally or arrange for openSUSE to transport on their bus with their large ones??
- No way to sign up to Join the Game on the day, we should have forms and accept cash for this.
- print off crossdesktop dev room timetable to put on 2nd room door and stall (also any other KDE talks elsewhere)
- KDE stickers good but libreoffice looked very smart in jumpers, matching KDE jumpers would be awesome. The bright blue t-shirts work well, just need to be different to any on sale.
- Some kind of attract-mode animation / slideshow / deskcast to play on large screen(s) when not in use
- I have access to a digital projector (aka beamer), Mozilla were using one but I'm not sure how useful it was given the limited space.
- New t-shirt designs
- Wider variety of swag to give away or sell?
- Contact more distros in advance for KDE CD's to hand out, Fedora were keen as were Pardus, perhaps also Mageia and one of the *BSD's?
- KDE on Windows was very popular, perhaps talk to the Windows team about an installer CD to give away?