It's been discussed that the promo team should have a list of goodies like shirts, hats, mugs, pens, stickers, etc. It was decided that we could achieve this with the creation of a KDE storefront that sells these things.
What's been done
- Sebas and others have registered a storefront on Spreadshirt which you can see at http://gearwear.spreadshirt.com
- Sebas designed 2 shirts and posted them
- Sebas asked for volunteers to help with getting this going and Justin agreed to lend a hand
- Justin sent out several calls for help in designing shirts in blog entries on Planet KDE but got little to no response
- Jos spurred a discussion about the status of this in which Stu suggested brainstorming for ideas on specific designs which we could then ask artists to act upon for us
|Idea||Description||Proposed by||Designs submitted by||Approved?|
|PC v Mac v KDE||3 people standing next to each other saying, "I'm a PC" (or "I'm Windows" in box w/ window, "I'm a Mac" tied up in mouse cord/ipod earphone cable, "I'm free" standing happy/unbound. Add KDE logo and "Be Free" slogan.||Stuart Jarvis||n/a||n/a|
|What is KDE?||Konqui, looking confused, asking "What is KDE?" with KDE.org and/or "Ask me"||Stuart Jarvis||n/a||n/a|
|I am KDE||"I am KDE" (optionally with "are you?") + some KDE logos or konqui||Stuart Jarvis||n/a||n/a|
|KDE logo "in progress"
||KDE oxygen logo, with part starting out as a "blueprint" design (no colors, etc), but you have parts of the logo colored in and then part that is totally finished w/ gradient colors/details/etc. Transition of "in progress" to finished product type of idea.
|KDE art past and present
||Chronological design that showcases KDE artwork past & present
||p.daniels (@teeahr1) on Identi.ca
|Application Specific||Designs including app-specific logos or text (perhaps get feedback from each team)||Justin Kirby||n/a||n/a|
|Team specific||Designs geared towards certain teams in community, e.g. Promo team shirts or Artist team shirts, etc||Justin Kirby||n/a||n/a|
Work in progress designs to be built upon
- PC vs Mac vs KDE. Obviously needs a lot of work from someone who can do computer graphics (that's supposed to be an apple next to the second guy). We can change sex/race etc. Alternative metaphor for Mac would be to put the guy in a big rain coat. We want to avoid direct use of words like Windows and Mac or any of the trademarked logos.
What still needs to happen
- Identify artists willing to create designs based on these ideas (or based on ideas of their own)
- Collect these designs here on the wiki
- Obtain e.V. Board approval on proposed designs
- Upload them to Spreadshirt
- Ensure accounting/billing details are properly arranged and configured
- Advertise the existence of the store to the community
Longer term plans
- Work with sprint/conference organizers to provide event related designs
- Work with event sponsors to get them to order KDE gear through our store rather than going through some other channel to have them made