kdepimlibs Splitting Epic
The KDE PIM community has outlined the following plan for splitting kdepimlibs into Frameworks libraries
- Wait for the kdelibs split to be completed and the preview release to be made
- A frameworks branch to be created in kdepimlibs and Qt5 / KF5 basic porting to be performed here mostly by the Frameworks team (old frameworks branch to be reviewed and deleted)
- Once work is started here no more style fixes to be applied to Master
- Code relying on qt3support and deprecated libraries will be removed as part of the porting
- Once porting is completed then kdepimlibs will be spilt into separate frameworks
- Once split the maintainers of each framework will take over work to make any API and code changes required
- PIM Frameworks will be released as and when they are ready, we do not need to release them all at the same time
- PIM Frameworks will be prioritised depending on usage, i.e. libraries needed by KDE Workspaces and Kolab should be released first
- kdepim-runtime will be split between PIM Framework and kdepim
The kdepimlibs specific policies are:
- Modules that use qt3support are to be removed
- Deprecated API is allowed to be removed
- Source compatibility requirements are relaxed due to fewer clients, but major rewrites are discouraged. Instead port the old library and create a separate new library (e.g. KHolidays and QHolidays).
- Most libraries will aim for Tier 2, but some may be able to target Tier 1.
- The initial KF5 port may rely on kde4support to enable the port to be performed by non-experts, but no Framework released may rely on kde4support so the maintainer must remove all usage. In particular all KDateTime, KTimeZone and KLocale usage must be removed and the Qt replacements throughly tested for regressions and behaviour changes.
Maintainers as per the MAINTAINERS file, please change if not correct.
|TODO||akonadi||Tier 2?||Dan Vratil|
|TODO||gpgme++||Tier 2?||Marc Mutz|
|TODO||kabc||Tier 2?||Tobias Koenig|
|TODO||kalarmcal||Tier 2?||David Jarvie|
|TODO||kblog||Tier 2?||Christian Weilbach|
|TODO||kcalcore||Tier 2?||Sergio Martins, Allen Winter|
|TODO||kcalutils||Tier 2?||Sergio Martins, Allen Winter|
|TODO||kholidays||Tier 1||John Layt, Allen Winter||Split and basic port, will be replaced later by OpenHolidays. Will need internal copy of KCalendarSystem|
|TODO||kldap||Tier 2?||Szombathelyi György|
|TODO||kmbox||Tier 2?||Bertjan Broeksema|
|TODO||kmime||Tier 2?||Volker Krause, Marc Mutz|
|TODO||kontactinterface||Tier 2?||Allen Winter|
|TODO||kpimtextedit||Tier 2?||Thomas McGuire, Stephen Kelly|
|TODO||kresources||Tier 2?||Tobias Koenig|
|TODO||ktnef||Tier 2?||Michael Goffioul|
|TODO||microblog||Tier 2?||Tom Albers|
|TODO||qgpgme||Tier 2?||Marc Mutz|
|TODO||syndication||Tier 2?||Frank Osterfeld|
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.