|Thread title||Replies||Last modified|
|Assistance, please. Where is the Amarok 2.6 (Beta 1) Wiki?||3||20:19, 29 March 2013|
|Questions Re: Amarok Music Player||2||20:21, 27 March 2013|
I've just downloaded the Amarok player 2.6 beta 1 from the Linux Mint Debian Edition repository. I'm trying to set up dynamic playlists using "genre" but cannot find instructions to do so. A step by step guide would be useful, but finding the 2.6 wiki would probably give me the answers. Somehow it isn't "intuitive" to me. And I have a post graduate degree. And, when I use help to find the "Amarok Handbook," I get:
'Could not launch the KDE Help Center: Could not find service 'khelpcenter'.
Assistance, please. Thanks, tlcmd (aka Dick)
First of all, why would you use a beta version? Amarok 2.6 beta was released in July 2012, and it is not a stable version. You should make sure not to use a beta release, those are meant for testing purposes only.
The current stable release is Amarok 2.7, btw., released in Jaunary 2013.
Then: if khelpcenter doesn't show the Handbook that is because something is broken on the distribution side, please file a bug for this to Linux Mint.
Normally you can get the handbook directly in Amarok through the Help menu -> Amarok Handbook, or by pressing the F1 button when Amarok has the focus.
Usually the wiki is not the ideal media for asking support questions, you should consider using the forum at http://forum.kde.org/amarok, or send a mail to the email@example.com mailing list.
I would gladly help you there with your question, if this page doesn't help you: http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/Playlist/DynamicPlaylists ( the Handbook status is for Amarok 2.7, please make sure you upgrade to that version first.
Mamorok, Thanks for the reply, and indeed, I, as a real noobie here, need help very badly. Consider that I can read and write, and use keyboard and mouse, but am otherwise virtually Linux illiterate. This is on the job training for me. I very much appreciate the assistance. I do need to install the 32 bit (i386) version.
1) I installed the Amarok 2.6 beta because it was the one in the LMDE repository.
2) Since I am running Linux Mint Debian Edition, which version of Amarok 7 should I install?
3) I did download amarok-2.7.0.tar.bz2, but as I am really new to Linux, I got lost in how to install it. Would you please give me the terminal command lines to do so if this is the easiest way to install Amarok 2.7 into LMDE.
Howdy, I'm a relative noobie to Linux. After 2 or 3 years of research and trying different Linux distros, I have select the rolling distro Linux Mint Debian Edition. I am in the process of moving from Windows XP SP3 to LMDE and need a music player. On Windows I'm running JRivers Media Jukebox which will not run on Linux even with WINE and/or Linux Crossover.
Assistance will be appreciated. Prior to installing and learning how to use Amarok 2.6Beta1 (the latest in the LMDE repository) I have a some questions:
My 11+K music files (songs) are categorized by genre, most by multiple genres.
1) Can I create dynamic playlists ("smartlists") by both single and multiple genres in Amorak?
2) Since many of my songs include the "Christmas" genre, can I set my playlists to both exclude and include a genre? Example: I have Julie London performing "You're All I Want for Christmas" which has the genres of Christmas, mood, romance, female vocal, easy listening.
3) Can I add a second or 3rd playlist to one that is "playing now" and then shuffle the combined lists?
4) If Amarok cannot do these tasks, does anyone know of a Linux Music Jukebox/media player which can?
Thanks, tlcmd (AKA Dick)
The smart playlists in Amarok are quite complete. So 1-2 is yes.
3 is yes I think. Amarok is a playlist-based player, not a collection based player. So what you want to do is trivial.
Thanks for the reply. Two last questions (I hope): 1) Can I set Amarok to exclude a genre (example: Christmas) until I wish to include that genre? 2) LMDE's repository includes the 2.6 Beta 1. Should I download this or go elsewhere for a later release? Also does the Amarok wiki's info applicable to the 2.6Beta1 release?
Thanks, Tlcmd (aka Dick)