This page describes the plans to develop Plasma Mobile from a high-level. Day-to-day development and planning is done in KDE's Phabricator system.
We have defined a number of Milestones which will be followed "mostly" in this order. You can follow the process in more detail on the Plasma Mobile Workboard.
Plasma Mobile 0.1 "Prototype" (finished)
The Plasma Mobile prototype shows the viability of Plasma on a handheld device. The prototype boots a reference device, is able to make phone calls, select contacts from an address book and contains partly functional outlook on how handset running Plasma could look like. <embedvideo service="youtube">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auuQA0Q8qpM</embedvideo> Plasma Mobile 0.1 provides:
- Phone stack definition (libhybris if necessary, Frameworks 5 and Plasma on top)
- Basic proof-of-concept Plasma Shell providing the handset UI, including:
- App launcher
- Draggable top panel
- Task switcher
- Settings application
- Proof-of-concept set of apps
Plasma Mobile 1.0 "Feature Phone" (WIP)
Plasma Mobile 1.0 provides an end-user ready experience with a minimal, useful feature set. This includes the underlying OS and plumbing layers, a workspace to launch and manage apps, some basic system functions to set up the network, show connection status, etc. Functions that a 1.0 should provide:
- Answering and initiating phone calls
- Contacts / Address book
- Sending and receiving SMS, possibly other IM service as SMS is pretty old fashioned
- Input: good virtual keyboard with several layouts support, localization and right-to-left layouts support
- Hardware functions:
- Volume control
- Network control (wifi and Mobile), incl. airplane mode
- Basic settings
- Language / Locale
- Clock / Timezone
- Ringtone / Notification sounds / Do-not-disturb
- Mobile network functions and settings
- Data Limits
- Web browser with basic functions (possibly 3rd party)
- SDK: A software development kit allowing to hack on Plasma Mobile core and 3rd party apps
- Appstore, installing, updating and removing apps
- Photo / Video camera: allows recording photos and videos
- Image / photo gallery
- Video player
See Plasma Mobile 1.0.
Plasma Mobile 2.0 "Basic Smartphone"
Plasma Mobile 2.0 builds upon the basic functionality provided in 1.0, and provides more functions:
- Personal Information Management
- Email reading and sending
- Listening to audio / music
- Mobile file manager
- Accessing files through MTP (or equivalent protocol)
- Applications ecosystem
See Plasma Mobile 2.0.
Plasma Mobile 3.0 "Featured Smartphone"
- Cloud storage integration
- Cool apps
- working Android emulation