Plasma KDE SC 4.5 Goal Setting Meeting
- Aaron Seigo
- Chani Armitage
- Marco Martin
- Fredrik Hoglund
- Artur de Souza
- Ivan Cukic
- Jacopo de Simoi
- Alessandro Diaferia
- Will Stephenson (minutes)
- New activity chooser needed for 4.5
- CA: to write up activities design from Tokamak4
- Sources at trunk/playground/base/nepomuk-kde/libactivities
- Needs splitting into kded module and nepomuk service
- AS: mobile important because changes here affect the rest of the platform
- MM concentration on mobile over polish for 4.5
- AS: 4.5 to include Mobile Shell Tech Preview
- How can the polish be coordinated? Wiki?
- Workflow needed to make regular progress visible and know who is working on what.
- JS: general performance and responsiveness improvements needed - valgrind
- AS: yes, but target specific components
- AS has been polishing extenders
- MM would like to be able to detach extenders to separate view windows, and make extendergroups real parents of their group items.
- Exec dataengine should become a Service
- AdS: 4.5 will be compared with 3.5 by everyone. Therefore Plasma needs as much polish as possible for 4.5.
- JS: solid and dolphin notifications could be moved to the normal framework, for more consistency
- JS: would like to enable DnD of devices to the desktop
- AS: could somehow use semantic tagging to route all these notifications
- FH considering getting rid of the listview popup in folderview, and show the icon view in the popup instead, better with vertical panels
- FH: when you toggle compositing the margins in all toplevel plasma windows are screwed up afterwards. MM to handle
- FH: kpixmapcache has a crash when when you change the color scheme, plasma theme, wallpaper, toggle compositing, enable/disable a desktop effect
- MM: big bug of randomly freezing event loops
- AS: KRunner hits need paging, Amarok runner may return 40000 hits, creating 40000 ResultItems, very slowly.
- Quicksand KRunner interface is basically unmaintained
- AdS: Move it back to playground?
- AS: leaving it unpolished may encourage someone to contribute
- AS: Widget Explorer needs polishing
- Remote Widgets
- MM: Need a way to migrate configuration of remote widgets
Drag and Drop
- CA: plasmoid DnD sucks
- FH: there is an outstanding merge request for adding alpha support in drag & drop pixmaps
- New features for JS
- plasmoid improvements
- AS: could use help but can manage if none is forthcoming
- AdS: would like to get Sharebin in 4.5 but may not have time. Uses scripted plugins, like how Comic plasmoid works.
Notifications and Systray
- MM has been focusing on this for 4.5, the broad features are basically done
Dataengine caching between boots
- MM would like DataEngines to be able to cache old query results, giving content on reboot when network is down
- AS: could be a job for Plasma::Storage
This page was last edited on 26 July 2010, at 23:40. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.