2nd Marble Developer Weekend Sprint, October 19-21 2012
We'd like to invite all people who are interested in Marble Development: may it be through coding, graphics design, promotion, packaging, documentation, website or other areas.
The Marble Developer Weekend Sprint will be held at the OpenSUSE Conference 2012 in Prague.
You have an interesting story to tell about Marble? You'd like to make Marble a great educational tool? You've built some software based on Marble? You're a Marble newbie and you'd like to get involved with KDE-EDU or Marble development? You dream of Navigation and Routing with Marble? -- We'd like to see you at the sprint!
The Marble Weekend Sprint is sponsored by the KDE e.V.. Thanks a lot for supporting Marble!
The Marble Sprint will be held from October 19-21, with the following basic schedule:
- 19.10. arrival, starting from 16:00 local time (Friday). I suggest we meet at the Cafe Traverza. That will be the same place where the openSUSE conference welcome party takes place. See:
Jens-Michael and me will arrive at about 21:00 at this place. We could then meet there. Once everybody has arrived we could decide whether we stay in this place or whether we move to a different place in order to have dinner.
- 20.10. sprint (Saturday), Lightning talks after noon.
- 21.10. sprint (Sunday) and departure starting from 18:00 local time.
- 22.10.-23.10. Marble Hacking Marathon
Location & Accomodation
The 2nd Marble Developer Weekend will be held at the OpenSUSE Conference 2012 in Prague. We will get a special dedicated room for our Marble sprint.
For Accomodation the same suggestions apply as for the OpenSUSE conference: See the webpage Accomodation on the openSuSE Conference website for more details.
Hotel Krystal is one of the primary addresses there and costs about 40 EUR for two persons per night.
How to get there
The column "Sponsoring needed?" is to know if you need sponsoring from the KDE e.V. or if you pay the travel/stay by yourself.
|Name||Arrival||Departure||Airport||Flight||Train||Food preferences||Estimated travel costs||Sponsoring needed?||Work||Special|
|Torsten Rahn||rahn AT kde DOT org||19.10.||21.10.||none||none||?||No apples ;-)||90 € + accomodation||yes||Marble Core Developer||Event organization|
|Dennis Nienhüser||earthwings at gentoo dot org||19.10. 16:30||21.10. 15:30||none||none||yes||none||120 € + accomodation||yes||Marble Core Developer||yes|
|Friedrich W. H. Kossebau||kossebau at kde dot org||19.10. 13:26||21.10. 16:29||none||none||yes||none||90 € + accomodation||yes||Calligra map shape||no|
|Utku Aydın||utkuaydin34 (at) gmail (dot) com||19.10 20:15||21.10 19:05||PRG||yes||none||veg. & no alcohol||295 € + accomodation||yes||Contributor||no|
|Bernhard Beschow||bbeschow at cs dot tu dash berlin dot de||19.10.||21.10.||none||none||yes||none||€ 70,25 + accomodation||yes||Marble Core Developer||no|
|Jens-Michael Hoffmann||jmho at jmho dot de||19.10.||21.10.||none||none||?||none||100-130€ + accomodation||yes||Marble Core Developer||No photographs of me allowed|
15:00-18:00 Arrival at the hotel
Starting at 9:00 We'll have a set of short presentations:
- "Let's get the Marble rolling ...", Torsten Rahn - "Research Projects using Marble (you probably didn't expect)", Dennis Nienhüser
- Workshops, coding and discussions
In the evening: Dinner
- Coding and discussions
- Summary, press release preparation
In the evening: Departure
To be discussed: Since we will only have little time available for presentations and workshops we thought about having some short lightning talks on saturday or sunday.
Feel free to make suggestions. State of :
- Android / Plasma Active port (Marble Touch). - UI (desktop/small devices) - Routing - OpenGL - ESA SoCiS
- Tiles - GeoPainter / drawing - GeoData / ModelView - Plugin APIs - Architecture/Design/APIs - Coding Style - Maps: Natural Earth
Protocol from the 2nd Marble sprint in Prague. Saturday, 2012-10-20
T: task I: information S: suggestion
- I: __Server__ needed for satellite tiles, routing data, osm vector data
- I: Format/data need of osm vector data yet unknown
- I: current routing data is about 30 GB, RAM > 2 GB would be ideal for conversion
- I: No existing KDE server available, __funding__ needed
- T: Approach KDE e.v. and ask for funding to get started
- T: Ask community for funding (permanent possibility, e.g. donations via the website, optional payed (donate) versions of mobile apps)
- T: Determine organizational needs of funding (own account? sub-account of KDE e.v. possible?)
- I: OsGEO might be an alternative as well
- PR/Marketing: How to make users and developers aware of Marble?
- I: Communications with people on fairs suggests that Marble is still quite unknown
- I: Articles (e.g. ct, ix), more presence on fairs would help
T: Redo the edu.kde.org/marble front page, update wikis (wikipedia openstreetmap)
- I: kde-edu website is not ideal for our purpose (too much distraction in the header)
S: Place content on marble-globe.org and keep only kde edu specific parts on kde-edu.org/marble
- T: Bug 310059 Open .kmz files
T: Open .gpx files
- T: Bug 310058 Different user-agent strings for mobile versions
- T: Generate a list of papercuts (and fix them)
- Marble + Automotive: Online at []
- OpenGL: Current state in github opengl branch
- Foursquare: Current state in master
sok-2012 branch, to be merged
- Satellites Plugin
Events / Student Programs
- Student Programs
- GCI 2012
- I: Rules changed. No more money for students, task length always 2 hours
- (done) T: Collect ideas in KDE ideas page
T: Move junior jobs wiki page to bugzilla tasks
- Socis 2012
- I: Nearly finished, great results
- GSOC 2013
- GCI 2012
- I: Feature Freeze (soft: 2012-10-25, hard: 2012-11-08)
- (only partly done) T: Merge branches
- Use Case: Partial Map Import/Export
- e.g. storing the visible region of the map shape in an odf file and opening it on a different system without Internet access
- S: Possible implementation: Tile pyramid, .kml creation, merge into .kmz file. Remark: Not easy to implement
- S: Possible alternative: Tile pyramid, store tiles with odf file, insert tiles into local cache on opening .odf again
- Notification of all data being loaded/available
- e.g. to create a snapshot, print a map
- S: as a workaround (hack) one could monitor the download queue to become empty (this approach has obvious problems)
- GPS Data Model
- T: Proper representation of tracks with timestamps (done already), speed, accuracy in KML
- T: (Bug 303071) Export of tracks to .gpx (keeping all useful information from GPS devices)
- API for Vector Model
- Shapefiles (shp)
- Access to GeoData Model
- Importing Data
- GPS Data Model
- Threaded TileLoading
- Blending Extension
- Embedding Tiles into Document
- Interactive Layers
- Layers in CreateMap Wizard
- Vector Rendering
- Render on Done
- Marble Clock (Timers!)
- Android, Mobile support
- Docs + Examples
- Build System
- T: (Bug 310378) Feature summary in cmake runs
- Option to build examples
- Coding Style
- Use Cases: Travel
"Around" vs. global
- not only planet wide but also local overview