Kexi/Security/Add password protecting to Kexi database files
Status: assigned to W. Kosowicz <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Target: 3.?, Wish #300625
Ability to encrypt .kexi database files (SQLite-based) with a password.
- User shares the .kexi files (e.g. via email) but want reasonable security.
- He prefers to use passwords instead of public/private keys.
The choise of encryption solution for SQLite
- Selection of password protection solutions for SQLite. SQLCipher and botansqlite3 looks interesting (and FOSS).
- It's not clear if using QCA gives any benefits.
- SQLite Encryption Extension (SEE) is an official but non-FOSS solution.
- R1. Password is used for a single session with Kexi, when database is closed the password is no longer in memory.
- R2. When database is closed, it's stays in an encrypted form.
- R3. .kexi files are not encrypted by default.
- R3.1. User can set password after successfull openining of .kexi file (encrypted or not encrypted).
- R3.2. Setting password to empty, effectively removes encryption.
- R4. The Kexi app should be able to detect that the .kexi file requires password on opening.
- Related discussion on Kexi Forum
- See also Add password protecting to individual objects in Kexi database file
- Related: Since 3.8.7 SQLite supports user authentication: http://www.sqlite.org/src/doc/trunk/ext/userauth/user-auth.txt
This page was last edited on 8 January 2015, at 10:21. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.