Different efforts are currently being led to make building Kdenlive on Microsoft Windows possible. The most successful one is with Craft, as described in the Building and Distributing Kdenlive on Windows and Mac article
Compiling on Windows using Craft (Recommended method)
- Set up Craft as described here. (Choose MinGW as compiler)
- Start building kdenlive. You can simply run
craft kdenlive. If it fails because of zlib, simply run
craft zliband retry. Note that if you want to compile kdenlive in debug mode, you can do so by running
craft --buildtype Debug kdenlive
Compiling on Windows in MSYS2 bash shell
- Download MSYS2 (x86_64 preferred) and install this unix-like environment for Windows.
- Then download our build script to the directory where you want it to work.
- From a mingw64 shell, "cd" to that directory and run the script ("./kdenlive-msys2.sh")
- Answer "yes" to package manager questions (pacman) to update build system and download dependencies
- Wait for MLT & Kdenlive to build
- Run Kdenlive from "/mingw64/bin/kdenlive"
Cross compiling on GNU/Linux using MXE
You should first follow the steps necessary to build Kdenlive on GNU/ Linux.
Getting and configuring MXE
Then, on the level where you cloned the kdenlive repository, you should clone a special version of MXE (M cross environment):
git clone https://github.com/vpinon/mxe.git
Then create a settings.mk file with the following command (copy/paste the whole block)
cat >mxe/settings.mk <<EOF MXE_TARGETS := x86_64-w64-mingw32.shared.posix override MXE_PLUGIN_DIRS += plugins/multimedia plugins/kdeframeworks plugins/apps kdenlive_SOURCE_TREE := $PWD/kdenlive EOF
Installing MXE dependencies
MXE requires the following dependecies (many of which should already be on your system, since you built the GNU/Linux version):
sudo apt install \ autoconf \ automake \ autopoint \ bash \ bison \ bzip2 \ flex \ g++ \ g++-multilib \ gettext \ git \ gperf \ intltool \ libc6-dev-i386 \ libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev \ libltdl-dev \ libssl-dev \ libtool-bin \ libxml-parser-perl \ make \ openssl \ p7zip-full \ patch \ perl \ pkg-config \ python \ ruby \ scons \ sed \ unzip \ wget \ yasm \ xz-utils
Building kdenlive with MXE
cd mxe make kdenlive make gdb #for debugging plugins/apps/deploy_kdenlive.sh
In case of crash, look for kdenlive PID in the task manager, start gdb:
And in gdb:
Porting the MLT framework to CMake
To be able to compile Kdenlive with MSVC (Microsoft Visual C++ compiler and libraries toolset). (Elie).