We need to find a few ways to generate money for travel costs, servers and such. Please add.
whom to ask
- NLnet (up to 30.000 EUR sponsoring for open-source projects/events)
One possibility is this: instead of doing our yearly month-of-october fundraiser, we do an extended period "amarok 2 fundraiser". we could start it in october, like the roktober fundraiser, but extend it to the release of amarok 2. the key reasons are:
- make it unique. if we have "another roktober", people see it as just another yearly request for funds, and are less likely to donate. if we can individualize this as a one-time fundraiser, more donations (big and small) will come in.
- tie this to amarok2. we have been working on amarok2 for a while, and whats more, people *know* that we have been working on it for a while. it already has publicity and a positive image, so if we link this to the fundraiser, people are again more likely to donate (i'm thinking bigger donors especially).
- longer == more money :)
comments? ideas? --lfranchi
- This sounds wonderful. I'm all in! Rok2ber? --Emunkki
Everybody who contribute money joins the lottery for a nice price:
- I-Pod with engraved Amarok logo (can be done at my work, have to ask for costs) --serenity
- nah, bad idea, makes user think we raise money to spend it for one user --apachelogger 21:07, 19 August 2007 (UTC)
- but last Roktober an ipod was given out "As a thank you to our supporters, we will be entering everyone that donates $10 US (or equivalent) or more in a random drawing for a cool new 2GB iPod Nano." --serenity
- 3D model of the logo (same here) --serenity
- better that sounds--apachelogger 21:07, 19 August 2007 (UTC)
what to ask for
- sponsoring of specific trips to a conference
- hardware for development
- hardware for hosting
(please keep in mind that it might be easier to get one-time funding for a specific goal than a long term commitment without a visible outcome)
what we can give in return
- prizes for users giving money at the fund raiser (like an IPod)
- official sponsor status
- namedropping in talks and on conferences
- naming and linking in news and press releases
- official sponsor of amarok: and then a small badge on the website?
- banners inside amarok itself
- no - but maybe something similar to current magnatune situation or a new sponsors page in the about dialog
what we can not give in return
- banner on website
- not if it's non-non-profit ... KDE dislikes that, so we could do that only for getamarok.com since the e.V. owns amarok.kde.org
- more of us need to become eV members (please fill out http://ev.kde.org/resources/ev-questionnaire.text and talk to markey so we can get more expenses for conferences paid by the eV)