For the amaroK 1.4 series we are again in need of a good series name, like 'Airborne' was for the 1.3 series. The name should be an adjective (in some cases a noun might also be acceptable), it should be catchy, and allow for a variety of associations, which can eventually lead to images for the release announcements.
Hint: A thesaurus is very helpful for finding good names.
Final theme chosen! Thanks everyone for the contributions!
Add your name ideas and associations here:
- amarok X-pression, amaroK welded
--x-pression is a mean of impression: more than mp3 list administrator -- welded give a sence of summarized, joined, linked.
--it is a strange word. Translated to german means "gefühlvoll" as like emotional or sentimentally
-- it is a simple liric musical composition.
--it is may be to long but give a sence of "unity". Even the verb "compound" is nice I like the declination "compounded" as a meaning of linked, summarized. Also "Fusion" or "alloy"
-- looking for words related with the word "view" I found bird's-eye view. So I changed into eagle's-eye
--it is a simple, full music related word. I like the sound in spanish, but also the english translation in plural "melodies".
-- this is a nice spanish word related with fire, force, efficiency. It is similar to "fama" which translation is related with "famous"
-- It means "son" in ancient italian. It remembers "fidelio". Also "feeljo".
-- Something to top 'Airborne'
-- This struck me when looking at the top 4 rated (Dawn, Sunrise, Revelation, Vivid)-- AEnertia --Awakening has a nice sound to it... and can be used in so many more ways than the others. Means much wider variety of pics could be found. --Danglewtf
--We could make up a new superhero for each release, like "Intractable Man" or other silly things. It could be really fun. Tightcode could draw us a picture for each release.
--Totally not into comic heroes --Markey -- Agreed -- AEnertia
--Which is why we make up the heros. This could be endlessly funny/gimmicky. just see my "4 your pleasure" (previously 4q force) entry --illogic-al
--If the 1.3 series got us airborne, 1.4 is time get down to some serious daredevil stuff. pvh
--This term is just too obscure for non native speakers.. I actually had to look it up. Thought it meant like "storm in a barn", or a misspelling of Brainstorming ;) --Markey 14:38, 9 December 2005 (EST)
active, animated, bright, brilliant, clear, colourful, definite, distinct, dramatic, dynamic, eloquent, energetic, expressive, flamboyant, gay, glowing, graphic, highly coloured, lifelike, lively, lucid, meaningful, memorable, picturesque, powerful, pumping, realistic, resplendent, rich, sharp, shining, spirited, stirring, striking, strong, telling, theatrical, true-to-life, vibrant
--I love 'vivid' Christie
--There is some similarity to Vista, which might be a prominent term at that time, more than we'd imagine now --Markey 20:53, 7 December 2005 (EST)
--Hrm maybe not assume Vista will detract from Vivid... I like the name quite a lot, it would definitely mean we would have to live up to the name tho ;-) -- AEnertia
- Arcane --Sounds like a mix between a 1950's pinball table and an old man's cane... Seb 18:11, 7 December 2005 (EST)
magical, spellbound, supernatural
-- Me like supernatural theme.... <bold> Shaman </bold> is my addition to this list -- AEnertia
- Ascension --I think Ascension sounds very cool, and has a good connotation. But it's quite similar to Airborne. What images to use? Stairs? Rising up? --Markey 18:26, 7 December 2005 (EST) -- Ascension sounds a bit poncy, and reminds me of a roleplaying game I used to play --AEnertia
staircase, escalator, elevator, ladder, <insert rock-climbing terms here>
The following sound a little too chaotic --Seb 18:11, 7 December 2005 (EST)
tempest, cyclone, wind
Might scare off new users... ;) --Firetech 19:26, 7 December 2005 (EST)
Overflowing (in response to Firetech's IRC comment, "Overkill would be a cool, but repelling name for amaroK 1.4 :P") Harmonious symphonic, symphonious, tuned, tuneful flourish, metamorphose, approximate, prosper
sounds like being of one piece --Crash 23:54, 8 December 2005 (EST)
aroused, enthusiastic, excited, fervent, frenzied, fuming, heated, impassioned, incensed, passionate, raging, stimulated, turned on, vehement
Quicksilver and Sunset are two nice tracks from Oldfield's 'Light + Shade' album. Imho, we should stick with the Oldfield associations... --Firetech 19:26, 7 December 2005 (EST) --Wow, Quicksilver sounds pretty cool I think --Markey 19:39, 7 December 2005 (EST) --Quicksilver sounds pretty cool to me too, is a earcandy word for a release which will be having cool eyecandy stuff --Crash 23:56, 8 December 2005 (EST)
--Sounds cool, but not very unique. Everyone and their mom is called Quicksilver. (book, brand of clothing, application launching application, ...) --Illissius -- Yeah quicksilver is not really unique nor catchy, just cool sounding -- AEnertia
decent, delightful, fair, far out, groovy, hip, trendy
- Spirits -- How about Spirit ? Rather than Spirits AEnertia
Aqueous (Relating to, containing, or dissolved in water) Ideas for images: Bodies of Water, Rain, Marine Animals (Dolphins?), A drink with condensation (Martini?)
-- This is my favourite. --Xepo 09:03, 8 December 2005 (EST) -- Maybe a little too osX and Apple branding for my liking -- AEnertia
- Sylvan (Pertaining to the forest, or woodlands)
Ideas for images: Forests, Forest Animals, A small tree (that could grow into a large forest, could be for the 1.4.0 release), A log cabin in the forest (since sylvan the noun means 'One that lives in or frequents the woods.')
- Succulence (Juicy, tasty, highly-interesting or enjoyable)
Ideas for images: Fruit, candy, Woman's lips (ooh la la), A drink, BTW, 'Succulence' is the noun for 'Succulent', but I think 'Succulence' sounds better.
- Dawn (a new beginning, a new journey,... and I like the word ;) )
Ideas : things like a sun rising over hills (?)
--I love this one! --Markey 11:51, 8 December 2005 (EST) --I really like 'Dawn', too. --Xepo 18:30, 8 December 2005 (EST) -- Dawn is good, I actually prefer Sunrise... just because Dawn rhymes with fawn and that makes me think of deer... AEnertia
-- Like this one too, but maybe a little grandiose -- AEnertia
- Imitation of Life
- amaroK 1.4 "Confessions of a Music Addict"
- amaroK 1.4 "The Bloat"
- amaroK 1.4 "Avast!"
let it shine!
- Useful Household Items (like duct tape, a wrench, detergent...)
- Cocktails (or Cocktail Party or Smoothie or something we can use different drink names for)
- Beast (could use real animals or mythical creatures)
- Ice Cream
- 4 your pleasure!
It's a super hero theme but without the PG-13ness to it. Each release would be a superhero name with a catch phrase. Like
The Dildonic Avenger - "Bringing pleasure faster than the speed of light!"
Orgasmatron - "It just makes you feel that good!"
C.U.M.tastic - "For (Cheer Up) Music that'll make you blow your load!"
BukkakO - "Taking care of all you aural/oral delights!" or
Bukkako - "Drink the deep aural pleasures!"
Huh? Great ideas eh? I got LOADS more! --illogic-al
- AmaroK BeWitched 1.4.0 [Plamen Terziev]
- AmaroK DragonFly 1.4.0 [Plamen Terziev]
- AmaroK Konquestador 1.4.0 [Plamen Terziev]
- spo0nman's list.
- Virtuoso ( A musician with masterly ability, technique, or personal style) (morden style artwork)
Aurora ( Means The dawn but its Latin and anything in latin sounds nicer) (nice sunrising art work) -- I like this --~~ Maestro (musical instument artwork) Dawn
--Rate 09:00, 8 January 2006 (EST)
- Konquestador is really cool, should be spared for the first win port(?)
- Rising Star
- Get up
- Hell (of a player)
- Areola - IRC brainstorming can head in odd directions ;) --Danglewtf
--Leinir 08:29, 13 January 2006 (EST)
- Anthology (amaroK is a wrapper around a wide range of other things... an anthology contains a number of related things)
- Digest (a play on words - a digest is another synonym for collection, but also means to well... digest food. Makes for an interesting amount of ideas for release pictures ;) ) +
- Phonocentric (centered on sound - phonically centered...) +
- Epitomy (sort of generic... but amaroK is the epitomy of a music player of course ;) ) +
- Transonic (adj : (of speed) having or caused by speed approximately equal to that of sound in air at sea level; "a sonic boom" [syn: sonic] [ant: subsonic, supersonic])
[email protected] (This is, a perfect combination of computers, art and rhythm, mathematics and internet....I like it :-) 2.natural [email protected] (I can not go out from this word, it is great) 3.Fraganza 4.Lyrical 5.Melodía 6.Earthling 7.Sunrise
1.Fast Forward 2.Superhero 3.Magic 4.Dawn (maybe sunrise?)
1.Aurora 2.Intense 3.Vivid 4.Awakening (maybe this would be better for the amaroK 2.0 rebirth?)
1.Confessions of a Music Addict 2.Avast! 3.Fast Forward 4.The Bloat 5.Flow 6.Revelation 7.Insanity 8.Ascension
1.Dawn 2.Sunrise 3.Fast Forward 4.Sunjammer
1.Dawn 2.Revelation 3.Sunrise 4.Vivid
1.Dawn 2.Transonic 3.Sunrise 4.Confessions of a Music Addict
1.Dawn 2.Confessions of a Music Addict 3.Superhero 4.Sunrise
1.Confessions of a Music Addict 2.Dawn 3.Confess! 4."I'm a roKer" 5.Blow Your Speakers! 6.The Thrill 7.No limit! 8.In the Mood
1.Dawn 2.Fast Forward 3.Sunrise
1.Fast Forward 2.Superhero