- Mandriva 2006
- Mandriva 2007
- SUSE (guru)
Fast Forward to 1.4
The amaroK team has cut the brake lines in their eternal quest to bring you the BEST audio experience ever, and there's no turning back! The most eagerly anticipated event of the 2006 multimedia calendar has finally arrived -- amaroK 1.4 "Fast Forward" is officially off the leash, and racing to a distro near you.
Those of you who have helped us test the new amaroK via beta versions and SVN will have had a sneak peek at the new features, but for everyone else, here's the lowdown.
- Tagging support for all major audio formats (OGG, MP3, MP4, FLAC and RM)
- Enhanced media device support (iPod® IFP/IRiver®, generic devices)
- Reworked tagging dialog for better management of the collection
- Non-KDE users are now able to set their default browser without installing KDEBase
- Consistent and independent icon set
- Option to view wikipedia articles in another language by default
- Gapless playback for the xine engine
- User-based rating system
- More options to configure the sidebar
For a full-featured guide of hottest new stuff, including screenshots, have a look at the What's new in 1.4 page.
As this is the probably last series before amaroK 2.0 which will be based on Qt 4.x and aims to be released at the same time as KDE 4.0 we hope you like the Fast Forwarding amaroK. Though if you experience problems we would be really glad if you could do a bug report at http://bugs.kde.org so that 1.4 becomes roK stable, as an amaroK actually should be.
The amaroK team have announced the official release of amaroK 1.4, and the launch of the 'Fast Forward' series -- cheeky successor to the well-received Airborne series. Fast Forward comes with improved media device support, featuring enhanced iPod® support that handles the latest iPod® devices, support for IFP®/IRiver® devices, a new plugin for generic media devices, and the ability to handle as many of these devices as you'd like.
The amaroK artwork department has worked hard to present you with a custom icon set, so that 'roK looks good when you're not using the default KDE icons. Changes to the way song lyrics are fetched mean you're now able to write scripts for your favorite lyrics site. The collection scanner has moved to its own process, keeping amaroK more responsive and stable. One of the most requested features, user-chosen song ratings, has made it into amaroK 1.4 Fast Forward as a complement to the automated score system, allowing you to set a song's quality from 1 to 5 points, as well as the ability to use these ratings when creating Smart Playlists.
Rediscover more of your music! amaroK now has tag support for OGG, MP3, MP4/AAC, FLAC and RM, allowing all these music formats to be added to your collection.
Check out all the new features in the What's new in Fast Forward Guide and get futher information about this new amaroK release at amarok.kde.org. A list of current available packages is online in the amaroK wiki.
The amaroK developers today released version 1.4 of their audio player and jukebox for KDE. The announcement is pointing to the most important changes and how to get amaroK. Among the longest changelog in project history the most noticeable items are tagging support for all major audio formats, sciptable lyrics support and also gapless playback. Improvements have been made to podcast and media device integration. An overview can be found in the amaroK wiki, check it out!
- diariolinux.com: http://diariolinux.com/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=7328
- caliu.cat: http://caliu.cat/index.php/2006/05/16/amarok-140/
- digg.com: http://digg.com/linux_unix/KDE_audio_player_amaroK_1.4_released:_Fast_Forward
- dot.kde.org: http://dot.kde.org/1147903679/
- reddit.com: http://reddit.com/info/64wu/details
- lwn.net: http://lwn.net/Articles/184152/
- desktoplinux.com: http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS5207106964.html
and subtopic http://forum.ge/?f=32&showtopic=33652841
- pro-linux.de: http://www.pro-linux.de/news/2006/9712.html
- linux-community.de: https://www.linux-community.de/Neues/story?storyid=19947
- golem.de: http://www.golem.de/0605/45399.html
- pc-magazin.de: http://www.pc-magazin.de/common/nws/einemeldung.php?id=45399
- kde.pl: http://kde.pl/?page=news&id=92
- linuxnews.pl: http://hedera.linuxnews.pl/_news/2006/05/19/_long/3855.html
- linuxportalen.se: http://www.linuxportalen.se/node/1954
- linux.org.ua: http://linux.org.ua/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1147900885
stuff that ran random
- forgot to organize the klik package
- shots for osdir got out too late (should be possible to get them at release date published)
- approving for the news' ran totally random and unorganized -> need to keep track on the howto release thingy which is in work User:Apachelogger
- need to collect a proper list of news sites in languages we can support natively
- need to get in better contact with translators - they should know when to start promotion
- disallow new stuff in time - it just focus ressources at the wrong thing
- better coordination between hemispheres is needed
- don't write too much articles at the same time
- prepare imporant pages (such as download) completely for the release
- osdir.com should get screenshots some days _before_ release, so that they are available at release day
- Write articles
- find releasepic
- collect at 1.4_artwork