Amarok/Archives/Meeting2005-10-18

  • next meeting needs a schedule
  • cms for promo interaction with users and discussions
  • space on ako or somewhere else
  • find out where swedish users get their information
  • ask translators if they would translate news and annoucments
  • inform packagers of various distros about the release one day before
  • make 1st steps in usability testing (get ideas from betterdesktop.org)
  • mailing list: [email protected]
  • next metting: 2005-11-15


Downlaodable version at http://krohlas.de/amaroK/rokymotion.meeting-2005-10-18.log (if anyone is interested)

[18.10.2005 22:01] =-= apachelogger has changed the topic to `` --> roKymotion Meeting <--''
[18.10.2005 22:01] <hydrogen> Where We are--- Where we are going
[18.10.2005 22:01] <hydrogen> The livecd hype is currently dying down...
[18.10.2005 22:01] <Firetech> exactly
[18.10.2005 22:01] <hydrogen> and probably no more big promotion until 1.4
[18.10.2005 22:01] <hydrogen> as minor releases don't deserve it IMO
[18.10.2005 22:01] <sven423> i'd say: linux guys know amaroK, other people don't. generally
[18.10.2005 22:02] <Firetech> right now we don't have much "real" stuff to do
[18.10.2005 22:02] <hydrogen> however, this would be a good time to work on a nice article for linux.com
[18.10.2005 22:02] -->| tackat666 ([email protected]) has joined #rokymotion
[18.10.2005 22:02] <tackat666> hiho
[18.10.2005 22:02] <apachelogger> aloha tackat666
[18.10.2005 22:02] <Firetech> shh, we're having a meeting ;)
[18.10.2005 22:02] <apachelogger> hydrogen: what do you imagine?
[18.10.2005 22:02] <tackat666> aloha apachelogger
[18.10.2005 22:02] <hydrogen> a review of amaroK or an interview of the developers, and a synopsis of amaroK
[18.10.2005 22:02] <hydrogen> where it is/where it is going/stuff like that
[18.10.2005 22:03] <apachelogger> we could make usability tests ... to make version 2 more useable than ever before
[18.10.2005 22:03] <sven423> how to do usability tests?
[18.10.2005 22:03] <Firetech> I'd still like to bring up the ever-so-talked-about spreadamarok idea, it woud be quite cool, and not too much work.. PostNuke has what we wants, I guess
[18.10.2005 22:03] <apachelogger> sven423: wathing the videos from novell and get some ideas ;-)
[18.10.2005 22:03] <hydrogen> postnuke is ugly.
[18.10.2005 22:04] <tackat666> just my shameless plug here: Systems fairs will happen during the next week and I'm searching for some people from Germany who want to show off amarok and KDE in Munich :) Anybody volunteering?
[18.10.2005 22:04] * apachelogger can't
[18.10.2005 22:04] === tackat666 <[email protected]> ``Torsten Rahn''
[18.10.2005 22:04] === tackat666: member of #rokymotion, #kde-artists, #amarok.de, #suse, #scribus, #amarok, #koffice, #kde-devel, and #kde-users
[18.10.2005 22:04] === tackat666: attached to irc.freenode.net ``http://freenode.net/''
[18.10.2005 22:04] === tackat666 is identified to services 
[18.10.2005 22:04] --- End of WHOIS information for tackat666.
[18.10.2005 22:04] <Firetech> hydrogen: you can skin it...
[18.10.2005 22:04] <hydrogen> but i think something we can all do is work on is Filling in the <whatsthis> tag, and the description tags in amaroK for 1.4
[18.10.2005 22:04] <hydrogen> the backend is ugly.
[18.10.2005 22:04] <apachelogger> Firetech: I think hydrogen is right, it's just ugly
[18.10.2005 22:04] <sven423> tackat666: who are you and in what way are you connected to the Systems?
[18.10.2005 22:05] <hydrogen> also, working on feedback from amaroK dev's to the community wouldn't be a bad idea
[18.10.2005 22:05] <tackat666> sven423: I am KDE's event guy ;)
[18.10.2005 22:05] <Firetech> ok, there are better community backends than postnuke... how about mambo?
[18.10.2005 22:05] <sven423> oh, ok ;)
[18.10.2005 22:05] <tackat666> sven423: Torsten Rahn
[18.10.2005 22:05] * hydrogen is going to setup a "1.4 features page" later
[18.10.2005 22:05] <apachelogger> Firetech: has been renamed ;-)
[18.10.2005 22:05] <hydrogen> in wiki
[18.10.2005 22:05] <apachelogger> hm
[18.10.2005 22:05] <apachelogger> we need some kind of user backend
[18.10.2005 22:05] <Firetech> apachelogger: what?
[18.10.2005 22:06] <apachelogger> let the users know what we are working on
[18.10.2005 22:06] <apachelogger> what they can expact, and when
[18.10.2005 22:06] <sven423> so, generally a roadmap?
[18.10.2005 22:06] <apachelogger> Firetech: the free version has been renamed
[18.10.2005 22:06] <Firetech> oh
[18.10.2005 22:06] <hydrogen> yea
[18.10.2005 22:06] <apachelogger> sven423: roeadmap is the wrong word imo
[18.10.2005 22:06] <hydrogen> well, kind of
[18.10.2005 22:07] <apachelogger> yup
[18.10.2005 22:07] <Firetech> we should have had some kind of schedule for this meeting :/
[18.10.2005 22:07] <hydrogen> probably
[18.10.2005 22:07] <hydrogen> should we plan on monthly meetings anyways?
[18.10.2005 22:07] <apachelogger> why not
[18.10.2005 22:07] <sven423> good idea
[18.10.2005 22:07] <Firetech> let's select some kind of order of things, it's all kind of blurry talk right now, and we do that outside the meetings :P
[18.10.2005 22:07] <hydrogen> okay
[18.10.2005 22:07] <Firetech> yeah
[18.10.2005 22:08] <hydrogen> with 4 people there isn't much need for structure
[18.10.2005 22:08] <hydrogen> we can let it evolve as we go... and see what we end up with :)
[18.10.2005 22:08] <hydrogen> what would be _really_ cool
[18.10.2005 22:08] <hydrogen> and probably impossible
[18.10.2005 22:08] <hydrogen> is to convince the big computer distributors to offer amaroK live for people who don't buy windows :)
[18.10.2005 22:08] <hydrogen> dell.. HP.. gateway.. places like that
[18.10.2005 22:09] <sven423> markey and mayself had the idea to start a call for promotion ideas in the public
[18.10.2005 22:09] <apachelogger> public = ?
[18.10.2005 22:09] <Firetech> for the next meeting, we'd need a schedule, let's add some kind of template to the wiki after the meeting
[18.10.2005 22:10] <sven423> people who read news on amarok.kde.org?
[18.10.2005 22:10] <hydrogen> we already have the wiki page about rokymotion
[18.10.2005 22:10] <apachelogger> wiki doesn't fit our needings
[18.10.2005 22:10] <apachelogger> we need a cms or something
[18.10.2005 22:10] <apachelogger> wiki just becomes a big mess
[18.10.2005 22:11] <sven423> ack
[18.10.2005 22:11] <Firetech> apachelogger: ok, one thing settled then :P
[18.10.2005 22:11] <apachelogger> one step closer to Firetech's idea of spreadamarok :P
[18.10.2005 22:11] <Firetech> yay
[18.10.2005 22:12] <Firetech> wasn't my idea from the beginning, I'm just pushing it along
[18.10.2005 22:12] <hydrogen> cms where though..
[18.10.2005 22:12] <Firetech> hydrogen:
[18.10.2005 22:12] <Firetech> whoops
[18.10.2005 22:12] <Firetech> wrong button
[18.10.2005 22:12] <apachelogger> rokymotion.kde.org
[18.10.2005 22:13] <Firetech> I guess we can have some spare space on a.k.o otherwise
[18.10.2005 22:13] <apachelogger> finding a hoster in the community shouldn't be a problem at all
[18.10.2005 22:13] <sven423> so doing it like spreadfirefox (build a site, build a community and make them help spread the beast) could be a working concept. if the community is large enough
[18.10.2005 22:14] <Firetech> sven423: look at the number of users in #amarok
[18.10.2005 22:14] <apachelogger> hm, do we need a community for rokymotion?
[18.10.2005 22:14] <Firetech> then multiply that with at least 2
[18.10.2005 22:14] <sven423> there are many, I know
[18.10.2005 22:14] <hydrogen> has anyone talked to the kde PR people to see if they have any input on how to promote amaroK?
[18.10.2005 22:14] <Firetech> apachelogger: we could integrate that into spreadamarok... "roKymotion corner"
[18.10.2005 22:15] <apachelogger> hydrogen: I'm subscribed to the list, but they are far away from us :/
[18.10.2005 22:15] <Firetech> apachelogger: more advanced you mean?
[18.10.2005 22:15] <apachelogger> err
[18.10.2005 22:15] <apachelogger> look at spreadfirefox
[18.10.2005 22:15] <apachelogger> mozilla.org and spreadfirefox are far away from each other
[18.10.2005 22:16] <apachelogger> it isn't one community there are two
[18.10.2005 22:16] <Firetech> I know
[18.10.2005 22:16] <apachelogger> which means twice work, and twice interessts
[18.10.2005 22:16] <sven423> mozilla.org is no community... the development is very strange
[18.10.2005 22:16] <Firetech> roKymotion isn't driven by the amaroK devs either?
[18.10.2005 22:16] <hydrogen> kind of is
[18.10.2005 22:16] <apachelogger> from the non-devs ;-)
[18.10.2005 22:17] <apachelogger> which don't have to do anything else :P
[18.10.2005 22:17] <Firetech> some mozilla devs are spreadfirefox admins, tho
[18.10.2005 22:18] <apachelogger> well, I'm not talking about the administration
[18.10.2005 22:18] <Firetech> asa has written all the visible announcements
[18.10.2005 22:18] <Firetech> he's a highly positioned firefox dev
[18.10.2005 22:18] <Firetech> afaik
[18.10.2005 22:18] <apachelogger> the interaction between the moz community and the spreadfirefox community is just bad
[18.10.2005 22:19] <apachelogger> if there is one :/
[18.10.2005 22:20] <apachelogger> peeps are writing wishes to the forums or mail them or come to #amarok and tell us about, and more professional maybe file a whish item at bko
[18.10.2005 22:20] <Firetech> anyway, we have a limited userbase, while spreadfirefox have windows users too...
[18.10.2005 22:20] <apachelogger> so you have always to points
[18.10.2005 22:20] <apachelogger> Firetech: don't mind about that
[18.10.2005 22:20] <sven423> so, to make this better we would have to integrate "spreadamarok" into a.k.o?
[18.10.2005 22:20] <apachelogger> it's better to have a little than a fucked-up ;-)
[18.10.2005 22:20] <apachelogger> sven423: I think so
[18.10.2005 22:21] <apachelogger> and we shouldn't name it spreadamarok ;-)
[18.10.2005 22:21] <Firetech> for Swedish promotional efforts, that is a problem, because we don't have many linux centric magazines or news sites...
[18.10.2005 22:21] <sven423> but we also need a domain, that people can remember.. let spreadamarok.org pint to a.k.o/rokymotion/ or something like this?
[18.10.2005 22:21] <apachelogger> so where gets the swedish userbase the informations?
[18.10.2005 22:21] <apachelogger> Firetech: usenet?
[18.10.2005 22:22] <Firetech> I don't know
[18.10.2005 22:22] <apachelogger> we should try to find this out
[18.10.2005 22:22] <sven423> Firetech: where do you get your information from?
[18.10.2005 22:22] <Firetech> Most Swedish linux users either know everything or use english media (like /. for example)
[18.10.2005 22:23] <Firetech> sven423: My linux guru, and linuxsverige.se (the latter is quite small though...
[18.10.2005 22:23] <sven423> "My linux guru" <---- lol
[18.10.2005 22:23] <apachelogger> well, /professionals/ probably have more contact to english sites
[18.10.2005 22:23] <sven423> everyone should have his own linux guru ;)
[18.10.2005 22:23] <apachelogger> so we have to worry about the linux starters
[18.10.2005 22:24] <Firetech> I have got an answer about amaroK Live from one of the two linux magazines I know of. They said thanks for the tip, but he wouldn't say anything definite.
[18.10.2005 22:24] =-= apachelogger has changed the topic to `` --> roKymotion Meeting <-- http://www.betterdesktop.org/welcome/''
[18.10.2005 22:24] <apachelogger> that's another thing
[18.10.2005 22:24] <apachelogger> we shouldn't write news that promotional
[18.10.2005 22:25] <apachelogger> like the stub article is still more promotion article than news
[18.10.2005 22:25] <hydrogen> YA
[18.10.2005 22:25] <hydrogen> err
[18.10.2005 22:25] <hydrogen> caps
[18.10.2005 22:25] <apachelogger> so we would have to write a annoucement for ako and a news for news sites
[18.10.2005 22:25] <sven423> what about simply translating the announcements to other languages? in germany taht worked well for 1.3 Live
[18.10.2005 22:26] <apachelogger> sven423 done it alone btw ;-)
[18.10.2005 22:26] <apachelogger> well, I could ask the translators if they are going to do this
[18.10.2005 22:26] <apachelogger> at least for some languages
[18.10.2005 22:27] <Firetech> I can do the Swedish translations, don't bother about reaching asserhal.
[18.10.2005 22:27] <Firetech> :P
[18.10.2005 22:27] <sven423> so we try to translate announcements and mail them around? only main releases or minors also?
[18.10.2005 22:28] <sven423> or will we decide with each announcement?
[18.10.2005 22:28] <apachelogger> really dunno
[18.10.2005 22:28] <apachelogger> for example golem.de always writes a news
[18.10.2005 22:28] <apachelogger> also for minor
[18.10.2005 22:28] <apachelogger> as we have quite interessting features there too
[18.10.2005 22:28] <hydrogen> one thing we should do
[18.10.2005 22:28] <Firetech> we can have announcements on ako and dot (?)
[18.10.2005 22:28] <hydrogen> is mail the packagers for various distros a day or so before release
[18.10.2005 22:28] <hydrogen> and let them know its ocming
[18.10.2005 22:28] <hydrogen> so they can build
[18.10.2005 22:29] <apachelogger> hm
[18.10.2005 22:29] <apachelogger> getting the build earlier
[18.10.2005 22:29] <apachelogger> good idea
[18.10.2005 22:29] <apachelogger> yeah
[18.10.2005 22:29] <Firetech> hydrogen: wouldn't help for kubuntu and debian, they freeze their stuff...
[18.10.2005 22:29] <sven423> is someone collectint the good ideas?
[18.10.2005 22:29] <hydrogen> Firetech: maybe we can produce our own dpkg?
[18.10.2005 22:29] <hydrogen> I'm on kubuntu.. It can't be that hard to do..
[18.10.2005 22:30] <Firetech> making the debian dir is tricky, but there are finished ones in debian's SVN
[18.10.2005 22:30] <Firetech> I'm on kubuntu too.
[18.10.2005 22:31] <Firetech> we could use 3rd party packages (3rd party in the sense that they are not distro official)
[18.10.2005 22:31] <hydrogen> well
[18.10.2005 22:31] <hydrogen> autopackage working is still desired
[18.10.2005 22:31] <hydrogen> btw
[18.10.2005 22:31] <hydrogen> best shirt ever or what?
[18.10.2005 22:31] <hydrogen> http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=367
[18.10.2005 22:32] <apachelogger> actually install autopackage isn't really easy for n00bs
[18.10.2005 22:32] <apachelogger> today a suse user asked me how to install a rpm :/
[18.10.2005 22:32] <hydrogen> :/
[18.10.2005 22:32] *sven423 trys to copy the "good ideas" to kate so they are not lsot in the log...
[18.10.2005 22:33] <apachelogger> + cms for promo interaction with users
[18.10.2005 22:33] <apachelogger> + space on ako or somewhere else
[18.10.2005 22:33] <apachelogger> + find out where swedish users get their information
[18.10.2005 22:33] <apachelogger> + ask translators if they would translate news and annoucements
[18.10.2005 22:33] <apachelogger> + inform packagers of various distros about release one day before
[18.10.2005 22:34] <sven423> ack for all of them
[18.10.2005 22:34] <apachelogger> + make 1st steps in usability testing (get ideas from betterdesktop.org)
[18.10.2005 22:35] <Firetech> apachelogger: where would we get our test subjects?
[18.10.2005 22:35] <hydrogen> I think rokymotion should become more of a promotion/usability group
[18.10.2005 22:35] <hydrogen> as they are kind of entwined
[18.10.2005 22:35] <Firetech> hydrogen: ya
[18.10.2005 22:35] <apachelogger> yup
[18.10.2005 22:35] <sven423> there are enough people out there...
[18.10.2005 22:35] <Firetech> let's vote :P
[18.10.2005 22:35] <hydrogen> AYE
[18.10.2005 22:35] <apachelogger> Firetech: for the usabilty test?
[18.10.2005 22:35] <Firetech> no
[18.10.2005 22:36] <Firetech> the usability group thingie
[18.10.2005 22:36] <insanity> ::Wiki:: Download has been edited by Firetech. Kubuntu Breezy has 1.3.1, packages.ubuntu.com said 1.2.4 last time I checked, though. http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index.php/Download ::
[18.10.2005 22:36] <sven423> usability tests in more something for the devs...
[18.10.2005 22:36] <Firetech> 3 to 1
[18.10.2005 22:36] <apachelogger> Firetech: ah, now I got it .... needs to get discussed imo
[18.10.2005 22:36] <Firetech> ok
[18.10.2005 22:37] *sven423 coud find some usability testers, that would be possible
[18.10.2005 22:37] <Firetech> we might split it into two groups
[18.10.2005 22:37] <hydrogen> err
[18.10.2005 22:37] <sven423> well, I read on the wiki something about amaroK promo movies, that show it in action... what about that?
[18.10.2005 22:37] <hydrogen> Firetech: why do you think merging is not a good idea? just to get some idea
[18.10.2005 22:37] <Firetech> rokymotion.pr and rokymotion.use or something
[18.10.2005 22:37] <apachelogger> sven423: actually you just have to ask some peeps on the street ;-)
[18.10.2005 22:37] <Firetech> hydrogen: ther aren't really the same things, the group might get all blurry
[18.10.2005 22:37] <apachelogger> sven423: swf is bullshit for this
[18.10.2005 22:38] <apachelogger> I made a record the other day
[18.10.2005 22:38] <Firetech> we definetly need a usability group though.
[18.10.2005 22:38] <apachelogger> just sux
[18.10.2005 22:38] <hydrogen> Firetech: well, having usability is a good thing to promote about :P
[18.10.2005 22:38] <sven423> what about discussing the usability thing together with some devs?
[18.10.2005 22:38] <apachelogger> letz define us as the amarok marketing group
[18.10.2005 22:39] <apachelogger> then we include usability
[18.10.2005 22:39] <apachelogger> ;-)
[18.10.2005 22:39] <Firetech> hydrogen: yes, but people would need different knowledges for the different stuff
[18.10.2005 22:39] <markey> fd
[18.10.2005 22:39] <apachelogger> re markey
[18.10.2005 22:39] <Firetech> markey: you're disturbing our meeting :P
[18.10.2005 22:39] <sven423> markey: usability tests?
[18.10.2005 22:39] <markey> wooops :p
[18.10.2005 22:39] <Firetech> we moved the coffe machine to #rokymotion.coffe just for you ;)
[18.10.2005 22:39] <Firetech> *coffee
[18.10.2005 22:39] <hydrogen> ewll
[18.10.2005 22:39] <apachelogger> hehe
[18.10.2005 22:40] <hydrogen> well*
[18.10.2005 22:40] <hydrogen> lenier is already usability person
[18.10.2005 22:40] <hydrogen> and they are kind of different
[18.10.2005 22:40] <hydrogen> but most of us could do a good bit for that in PR off season
[18.10.2005 22:40] <Firetech> hydrogen: I guess most users already do usability stuff...
[18.10.2005 22:40] <Firetech> they complain when they don't understand
[18.10.2005 22:41] <apachelogger> we should test this before a minor or major release
[18.10.2005 22:41] <hydrogen> well, complaining and making it clearer are two different things :)
[18.10.2005 22:41] <hydrogen> lets save this discussionf or after the meeting though
[18.10.2005 22:41] <hydrogen> as they are separate functions
[18.10.2005 22:41] <hydrogen> any more promotion like ideas/
[18.10.2005 22:41] <hydrogen> ?
[18.10.2005 22:41] <apachelogger> not yet
[18.10.2005 22:42] <sven423> a talk on linuxtag 2006 maybe?
[18.10.2005 22:42] <sven423> but that is in may
[18.10.2005 22:42] <sven423> in wiesbaden, germany
[18.10.2005 22:42] <apachelogger> still time
[18.10.2005 22:42] <Firetech> I guess Project: spreadamarok is our main idea?
[18.10.2005 22:42] <sven423> yes
[18.10.2005 22:42] <hydrogen> well
[18.10.2005 22:42] <hydrogen> getting to linux shows would be good
[18.10.2005 22:42] <apachelogger> sven423: if I have time I could do one
[18.10.2005 22:42] <Firetech> Project because it's only a project name :P
[18.10.2005 22:42] <markey> you guys got ideas how to get our founddrive going again?
[18.10.2005 22:42] <markey> it stalled a bit
[18.10.2005 22:42] <hydrogen> rob a bank/
[18.10.2005 22:43] <Firetech> :P
[18.10.2005 22:43] <markey> ah yes
[18.10.2005 22:43] <markey> :p
[18.10.2005 22:43] <apachelogger> markey: waiting for my bank transfer ;-)
[18.10.2005 22:43] <apachelogger> already 70 euros :P
[18.10.2005 22:43] <hydrogen> the thing is... spreading news about needing money is kind of not good
[18.10.2005 22:43] <hydrogen> IMO
[18.10.2005 22:43] <hydrogen> HOWEVER
[18.10.2005 22:43] <hydrogen> nah, nvm
[18.10.2005 22:43] <Firetech> markey: turn people upside down in the streets and steal their wallets?
[18.10.2005 22:43] <markey> I don't think we need to spread this news
[18.10.2005 22:43] <markey> we just need to get folks to visit ako
[18.10.2005 22:44] <hydrogen> Trying to think of ways to get amaroK and amaroK live into mainstreem
[18.10.2005 22:44] <hydrogen> stream*
[18.10.2005 22:44] <hydrogen> markey: announce a friendly project fork for WamaroK and get it /.'d :)
[18.10.2005 22:44] <apachelogger> markey: redesigning the site or something would force this
[18.10.2005 22:44] <sven423> bringing amaroK into mainstream means bringing linux into mainstream. hard...
[18.10.2005 22:44] <Firetech> markey: why not add a Donate button in amarok itself?
[18.10.2005 22:44] <hydrogen> right
[18.10.2005 22:44] <Firetech> button -> menu item
[18.10.2005 22:44] <sven423> good idea
[18.10.2005 22:45] <hydrogen> Firetech: cause 1.3.4 will not be out till end of fundraiser :)
[18.10.2005 22:45] <apachelogger> in the about dialog
[18.10.2005 22:45] <markey> yes, that's all nice and dandy, but first we want to complete this funddrive :)
[18.10.2005 22:45] <Firetech> hydrogen: amaroK always accepts donations anyway
[18.10.2005 22:45] <sven423> "donotate to amarok" "visita marok hompage" and such things...
[18.10.2005 22:45] <hydrogen> aye
[18.10.2005 22:45] <apachelogger> markey: will there be 1.3.5?
[18.10.2005 22:45] <markey> I assume so, but I'm not sure whether we branch before
[18.10.2005 22:46] <markey> we might branch
[18.10.2005 22:46] <hydrogen> seems like its a fairly good idea to
[18.10.2005 22:46] <hydrogen> and really, even splitting after a major release isn't a bad idea if you stick to the mantra of just bug fixes
[18.10.2005 22:46] <hydrogen> splitting right after*
[18.10.2005 22:46] <Firetech> apachelogger, hydrogen, sven423: we are all sure we need some kind of roKymotion CMS kinda ASAP?
[18.10.2005 22:47] <hydrogen> I don't really see why
[18.10.2005 22:47] *sven423 votes for it
[18.10.2005 22:47] <Firetech> We are kind of filling the wiki otherwise
[18.10.2005 22:47] <apachelogger> markey: add a button to donate for 1.3.4 where the users can see it and move it after the funddrive to the about dialog
[18.10.2005 22:47] <apachelogger> or a timing thing
[18.10.2005 22:47] <hydrogen> if its not going to hit the public, I can even host it if we can get a useful redirect on domain name
[18.10.2005 22:47] <apachelogger> if date <1.11. then show button
[18.10.2005 22:48] <Firetech> apachelogger: what about people with strange clocks? :P
[18.10.2005 22:48] <apachelogger> Firetech: we are sure, yes :)
[18.10.2005 22:48] <apachelogger> Firetech: hm
[18.10.2005 22:48] <apachelogger> well unimportant
[18.10.2005 22:48] <apachelogger> most peeps have usual clocks
[18.10.2005 22:48] <Firetech> what CMSs' are there out there?
[18.10.2005 22:48] <apachelogger> drupal :D
[18.10.2005 22:48] <apachelogger> is a quite smart one imo
[18.10.2005 22:49] <sven423> xoops -> awful
[18.10.2005 22:49] <Firetech> we could use a wiki of our own otherwise
[18.10.2005 22:49] <apachelogger> though I havn't used it really
[18.10.2005 22:49] <apachelogger> xoops is a bit overloaded for us
[18.10.2005 22:49] <apachelogger> Firetech: maintaining stuff in a wiki sux imo
[18.10.2005 22:49] <sven423> you can't discuss in a wiki
[18.10.2005 22:49] <Firetech> CMS is better than Wiki though... CMS would be easier to transform into spreadamarok
[18.10.2005 22:49] <sven423> the main thing we need is. a way to discuss, imho
[18.10.2005 22:49] <apachelogger> wiki isn't the worst but also not the best
[18.10.2005 22:49] <markey> there was nice article today about magnatune, on germany's biggest news site
[18.10.2005 22:50] <Firetech> sven423: we have this channel
[18.10.2005 22:50] <Firetech> :P
[18.10.2005 22:50] <apachelogger> with users ;-)
[18.10.2005 22:50] <markey> so this seems to be a rather hot topic, CC music and all
[18.10.2005 22:50] <sven423> definitely
[18.10.2005 22:50] <markey> we could ride the wave, and try to reach some big sites again
[18.10.2005 22:50] <apachelogger> Firetech: I know enough user which wouldn't join irc
[18.10.2005 22:50] <Firetech> some kind of forum/CMS combination?
[18.10.2005 22:50] <Firetech> then we have spreadamarok beta
[18.10.2005 22:51] <sven423> lol
[18.10.2005 22:51] <Firetech> :)
[18.10.2005 22:51] <sven423> right
[18.10.2005 22:51] <apachelogger> he got hit by the spreadx hype :/
[18.10.2005 22:51] <Firetech> well
[18.10.2005 22:51] <sven423> spreadx! spreadx! spreadx!
[18.10.2005 22:51] <apachelogger> lol
[18.10.2005 22:51] <Firetech> we could use it anyway
[18.10.2005 22:52] <Firetech> some lightweight forum (phpBB is a bit too advanced for this maybe?) and drupal?
[18.10.2005 22:52] <hydrogen> meh
[18.10.2005 22:52] <hydrogen> imnsho
[18.10.2005 22:52] <hydrogen> a amarok-promote mailing list
[18.10.2005 22:52] <hydrogen> and a wiki-like site
[18.10.2005 22:52] <hydrogen> are all we need
[18.10.2005 22:52] <Firetech> that's a start
[18.10.2005 22:53] <sven423> mailing lsit... yeah, why not?
[18.10.2005 22:53] <apachelogger> markey: can you make us one?
[18.10.2005 22:53] <hydrogen> okay, that was riddiculous
[18.10.2005 22:53] <markey> ML?
[18.10.2005 22:53] <Firetech> but I know from experience that mailing lists can feel quite developerish to join...
[18.10.2005 22:53] <hydrogen> a telemarketer definatly just called me and put me on hold
[18.10.2005 22:53] <apachelogger> markey: yup
[18.10.2005 22:53] <markey> sure
[18.10.2005 22:53] <markey> what name?
[18.10.2005 22:53] <apachelogger> markey: [email protected]
[18.10.2005 22:53] <markey> alright
[18.10.2005 22:54] <apachelogger> Firetech: we can use it at least for team internal communication
[18.10.2005 22:54] <Firetech> hydrogen: they start calling before they are finished with their former client, and sometimes, they talk too much with them...
[18.10.2005 22:54] <hydrogen> ya
[18.10.2005 22:54] <Firetech> apachelogger: yes
[18.10.2005 22:54] <hydrogen> Its annoying
[18.10.2005 22:54] <Firetech> good because we keep the conversations stored
[18.10.2005 22:55] <Firetech> and kmail has treeview: :D
[18.10.2005 22:55] <sven423> Firetech: ask the telemarketing guy what he earns, what skills he needs for the job.. and so on. till he hangs up
[18.10.2005 22:55] <hydrogen> actually
[18.10.2005 22:55] <apachelogger> lol
[18.10.2005 22:55] <tackat666> btw: what advantages does banshee have over amaroK ?
[18.10.2005 22:55] <hydrogen> I've heard they are not allowed to hang up
[18.10.2005 22:55] <tackat666> are there any?
[18.10.2005 22:55] <apachelogger> havn't tried it
[18.10.2005 22:55] <apachelogger> but looks like juk
[18.10.2005 22:55] <apachelogger> imo
[18.10.2005 22:55] <apachelogger> just a mix of juk and amarok
[18.10.2005 22:55] <Firetech> a friend of mine works with telemarketing, and it's always my father who gets the telemarketing calls...
[18.10.2005 22:56] <Firetech> he just says "I'm not interested and hangs up"
[18.10.2005 22:56] <tackat666> you better try it ... ximian will promote it heavily really soon
[18.10.2005 22:56] <Firetech> wrong quoting
[18.10.2005 22:56] <hydrogen> I'm not gonna try it :P
[18.10.2005 22:56] <apachelogger> tackat666: thx for the hint
[18.10.2005 22:56] * apachelogger fires up yast
[18.10.2005 22:57] <sven423> sp, what else? we are getting off topic...
[18.10.2005 22:57] <hydrogen> banshee is for gnome for one
[18.10.2005 22:57] <hydrogen> :)
[18.10.2005 22:57] <apachelogger> it's mono
[18.10.2005 22:58] <apachelogger> so novell doesn't see it as a gnome app
[18.10.2005 22:58] <apachelogger> and novell will promot it with SL
[18.10.2005 22:58] <apachelogger> they already started with 10.0
[18.10.2005 22:59] <apachelogger> it supports gst and helix
[18.10.2005 22:59] <hydrogen> it seems like amaroG
[18.10.2005 22:59] <sven423> lol
[18.10.2005 23:00] <markey> amarok-promo created. gonna take a bit until it becomes active
[18.10.2005 23:00] <hydrogen> okay
[18.10.2005 23:00] <apachelogger> thx
[18.10.2005 23:01] <tackat666> so that's why you guys have to make sure that amarok will always be better wrt any detail over banshee :)
[18.10.2005 23:01] <hydrogen> well
[18.10.2005 23:01] <hydrogen> just looking at it
[18.10.2005 23:01] <hydrogen> I don't think there is much to worry about yet :)
[18.10.2005 23:01] <apachelogger> lots of peeps are using amaroK on gnome
[18.10.2005 23:01] <apachelogger> if they can get the same stuff with a gnome app they'll use it
[18.10.2005 23:02] <tackat666> hydrogen: don't underestimate them :)
[18.10.2005 23:02] <Firetech> apachelogger: let's invent a new revolutionary feature with cryptic Qt dode so banshee can't copy it ;)
[18.10.2005 23:02] <Firetech> *code
[18.10.2005 23:03] <apachelogger> hehe :D
[18.10.2005 23:03] <apachelogger> yeah!
[18.10.2005 23:03] <apachelogger> ARR!!!
[18.10.2005 23:03] <apachelogger> http://banshee-project.org/index.php/Getting_Started
[18.10.2005 23:03] <apachelogger> haha lol
[18.10.2005 23:03] <apachelogger> opensuse 10
[18.10.2005 23:04] <apachelogger> that's like saying novell 3 :P
[18.10.2005 23:05] <hydrogen> haha
[18.10.2005 23:05] <hydrogen> the feature request page is basically everything amaroK has
[18.10.2005 23:05] <hydrogen> http://banshee-project.org/index.php/FeatureRequest
[18.10.2005 23:05] <sven423> so, who will ask the translators for translating announcements? /me can do the german ones, Firetech the swedish?
[18.10.2005 23:06] <sven423> and how can we inform packagers before the release?
[18.10.2005 23:07] <apachelogger> I'll ask on the translator's list when I notify them about the stats for 1.3.4
[18.10.2005 23:07] <sven423> and when will the next meeting be?
[18.10.2005 23:07] <Firetech> hydrogen: not really: iTunes-style (iPod-compatible) Sound Check support, also on a per-album basis would be nice ;)
[18.10.2005 23:07] <hydrogen> informing packagers will take some reasearch
[18.10.2005 23:07] <apachelogger> we should start a list with packagers
[18.10.2005 23:08] <sven423> in the wiki?
[18.10.2005 23:08] <hydrogen> sure
[18.10.2005 23:08] <hydrogen> wiki editing time
[18.10.2005 23:08] <hydrogen> we should probably work on a road map
[18.10.2005 23:08] <hydrogen> I'll start it
[18.10.2005 23:08] <apachelogger> hydrogen: no dates
[18.10.2005 23:09] <hydrogen> right
[18.10.2005 23:09] <apachelogger> just like 1.3.4 probably 1.3.5 then development start 1.4
[18.10.2005 23:09] <hydrogen> I was thinking "In 1.3.4" "For 1.4" "For 2.0"
[18.10.2005 23:09] <sven423> sounds good
[18.10.2005 23:09] <hydrogen> WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THIS MOUSE
[18.10.2005 23:09] <hydrogen> its charged for 18 hours
[18.10.2005 23:09] <hydrogen> i use it for two
[18.10.2005 23:09] <hydrogen> and it is dieing
[18.10.2005 23:09] <apachelogger> :|
[18.10.2005 23:10] <sven423> but... one date will be needed: our next meeting? every third tuesday of the month, the same time?
[18.10.2005 23:10] <apachelogger> I'll write about banshee
[18.10.2005 23:10] <hydrogen> hrm
[18.10.2005 23:10] <hydrogen> alright
[18.10.2005 23:10] <apachelogger> k
[18.10.2005 23:11] <hydrogen> getting people at more Linux shows would probably be a useful thing
[18.10.2005 23:11] <hydrogen> I'm close enough to boston to make it to that one
[18.10.2005 23:11] *sven423 plans to take his tent and camp near LinuxTag 2006
[18.10.2005 23:11] <hydrogen> I think untouchable is also
[18.10.2005 23:12] <sven423> make a presentation about amaroK there would be an interesting task for me ^^
[18.10.2005 23:12] <hydrogen> :)
[18.10.2005 23:13] <hydrogen> markey: permission to declare formal war on banshee? :P
[18.10.2005 23:14] <hydrogen> better yet
[18.10.2005 23:14] <apachelogger> sven423: letz make one together :D
[18.10.2005 23:14] <hydrogen> just add it to noatun's hatelist
[18.10.2005 23:14] <sven423> apachelogger: ok
[18.10.2005 23:14] <apachelogger> if I have time :/
[18.10.2005 23:15] * Firetech lives too far away from all Linux shows :/
[18.10.2005 23:16] <markey> ok, anyone here got banshee installed?
[18.10.2005 23:16] <markey> let's see what it can do
[18.10.2005 23:17] <markey> learn about your enemies
[18.10.2005 23:17] <hydrogen> I'll investigate
[18.10.2005 23:17] <Firetech> then kill them :P
[18.10.2005 23:17] <sven423> so, do we have any promotion topics left?
[18.10.2005 23:17] <apachelogger> markey: as suse user I have it installed :D
[18.10.2005 23:18] <apachelogger> first started thing is just selecting the collection folder
[18.10.2005 23:18] <hydrogen> I'm installing.. gonna take like half of ubuntu to do though :/
[18.10.2005 23:18] * markey looks for screenshots
[18.10.2005 23:18] <apachelogger> building the collection needs some hours
[18.10.2005 23:18] <apachelogger> markey: http://banshee-project.org/index.php/Screenshots
[18.10.2005 23:18] <hydrogen> The dynamicly generated menu isn't bad
[18.10.2005 23:19] <hydrogen> and actually
[18.10.2005 23:19] <hydrogen> would be something to do for 1.4
[18.10.2005 23:19] <markey> looks fairly basic
[18.10.2005 23:19] <markey> like rhythmbox
[18.10.2005 23:19] <hydrogen> multiple ipod support
[18.10.2005 23:19] <hydrogen> well
[18.10.2005 23:19] <hydrogen> multiple media device support
[18.10.2005 23:19] <apachelogger> ...and it builds and builds and builds
[18.10.2005 23:20] <hydrogen> nice
[18.10.2005 23:20] <hydrogen> it doesn't even load for me
[18.10.2005 23:20] <apachelogger> needs quite long to start
[18.10.2005 23:20] <apachelogger> at least the first time
[18.10.2005 23:20] <apachelogger> I gave banshee just a 4000 tracks folder and it builds the collection now for about 20 minutes
[18.10.2005 23:20] <markey> well, it uses a VM
[18.10.2005 23:20] <markey> which needs to be loaded
[18.10.2005 23:21] <markey> mono
[18.10.2005 23:21] <hydrogen> well
[18.10.2005 23:21] <hydrogen> no, it doesn't work w/ my ipod
[18.10.2005 23:21] <hydrogen> in fact, it segfaults w/ it
[18.10.2005 23:21] <sven423> any more promo topics? so I would archive the log and relax, will have a busy day tomorrow
[18.10.2005 23:22] <apachelogger> markey: quite interessting thing: it shows the installed libs etc.
[18.10.2005 23:22] <apachelogger> markey: .. in the about dialog ... such a feature would make it easier to give support
[18.10.2005 23:22] <hydrogen> sven423: not atm, we will put info about ML in topic
[18.10.2005 23:22] <sven423> ok
[18.10.2005 23:22] <sven423> *archiving a log*
[18.10.2005 23:23] <apachelogger> sven423: post it somewhere in the wiki
[18.10.2005 23:23] <apachelogger> maybe Promotion/Meetings/2005-10-18
[18.10.2005 23:23] <apachelogger> and make a index at Promotion/Mettings

This page was last edited on 23 December 2012, at 19:08. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.