Restaurants & Pubs
Close to the venue
This is only a small selection. There are many more options close to the venue.
- Mensa (student cafeteria), TU Wien Freihaus, Wiedner Haupstraße 8 - 10, 1040 Vienna (inside the building, yellow area, 1st floor)
- Salon Wichtig (soups, curries, mostly for take-away), Karlsgasse 22, 1040 Vienna (opposite of the venue)
- Santos (mexican food), Favoritenstraße 4-6, 1040 Vienna
- Riva (pizzeria), Favoritenstraße 4-6, 1040 Vienna
- Gorilla Kitchen (burritos), Gußhausstraße 19, 1040 Vienna
- Swing Kitchen (vegan burgers), Operngasse 24, 1040 Vienna
In typical restaurants and pubs you can expect the following medium price range:
- Lunch menu: 7 € to 9 € (often including either a soup or desert)
- Dinner: 8 € to 14 €
- non-alcoholic drinks: 2.5 € to 3.5 € for 0.25 l (look for the drinks tagged with "Jugendgetränk", these are the cheapest non-alcoholic drinks)
- Beer: 3.5 € to 4.5 € for 0.5 l beer
- Wine: ?? (TODO: please someone fill this out, I'm not a wine drinker ;) )
- During summer some restaurants are closed. Check the website or other sources if you want to visit a specific restaurant.
- In most restaurants you pay before you leave. Call the waiter/waitress and say "Zahlen bitte". They will bring you the bill and take your cash. It is uncommon to leave the money on the table.
- Not every restaurant accepts cards, have some cash ready.
- Tipping is common in Vienna and often expected. Common tips range from rounding up to the next note to 10 %, depending on how satisfied you are.
- Either on the menu or on a seperate information, the restaurant has information what common food allergens are contained in each meal.
List of some common supermarket chains:
- Spar, Spar Gourmet & Interspar
- Monday till Friday until 07:30 pm (some until 08:00 pm)
- Saturday until 06:00 pm
- Sunday closed
Outside of this opening hours, only supermarkets at train stations are open, e.g. the Interspar-pronto at Wien Hauptbahnhof (open every day 6 am till 11 pm)
Closest supermarkets to the venue
- Spar Gourmet, Gußhausstraße 21, 1040 Vienna (leave the venue, turn right, follow the street for 2 minutes)
- Billa, Rilkeplatz 1, 1040 Vienna (leave the venue, go left to the bigger street, turn left into Wiedner Hauptstraße, follow that street for 4 minutes)
- Most supermarkets also sell ready-made snacks or you can order a snack of your choosing at the deli counter
Whether you want some breakfast, lunch or a afternoon snack, the bakeries in Vienna have something for you. Most bakeries open a bit earlier than the supermarkets but also close earlier.
List of some common bakery chains:
- Der Mann
In the outer districts (10th - 23rd district) you also find many turkish bakeries, that often are also open on sunday.