IRC at the University venue
SSID: Akademy | Password: university | If you are using KDE bnc (bouncer) service, change port 7778 for the new one 4242
Telegram Group for Akademy
- Complementary to the #akademy channel on IRC but easier to use when you're not in front of a computer since Telegram is more phone-oriented so you can ask if there's still anyone up for a beer, suggestions to go for dinner, etc.
- Phone app and website.
- The link to join the group is 
- If you are staying in Rialta, Rialta will provide buses.
- If not, we suggest to use "Linea Especial Universidad E" / "UDC" (The line is the same, older buses have the "E" sign, newer have "UDC" sign) except on Sunday (Line is not available on Sunday)
- On Sunday, you'll have to use either line 5, 22 or 24.
- Remember that urban buses only allow to pay using coins and 5€ notes (bigger notes are not accepted)
- Please check the Transport in A Coruña section of the Akademy webpage.
Bars and restaurants
- Times for meals are late in comparison to other countries:
- Lunch usually from 13:30 to 15:30
- Dinner at 21:00 or 22:00. It is difficult to find dinner before 20:30.
- A typical lunch is called "Menú del día" (menu of the day) and consists of a starter, a main course a drink (water, beer or soft drink) and a dessert or coffee (Sometimes it includes both dessert and coffee).
- In restaurants, it is not as common to leave a tip as it is in other countries. You can leave an small tip, but it's not usual to leave more than 5% of the price.
- Most of the food is not vegetarian. If you're a vegetarian, you can say: "Soy vegetariano/a" and see what they offer you
- During Akademy, we the suggested place for lunch is "Cafetería FIC" (in the venue) during the weekdays and "Cafetería Económicas" during the weekend. We'll assure they can provide food according to the dietary requirements you have specified in your conf.kde.org profile.
Some reference prices
- Beer: between 1.50 € and 2.5€
- Soft drink: between 1€ and 2€
- Coffee or tea: 1.20€ - 2 €.
- "Menú del día": From 8€ to 15 €
- "Menú del día" in Cafetería FIC: 6,50€
- Average price for a dinner: 14€ - 18 €
There is a left luggage facility at the A Coruña bus station, signposted as consigna, open from 08:00 to 22:00
- Credit cards are usually accepted in restaurants, supermarkets and shops. That's not the case in bars and pubs. It might be a good idea to ask before.
- There are lots of ATMs in the city. In the venue surroundings there are two: One in LERD (exit the faculty and cross the street) and another one in Facultade de Dereito (Laws school), however they are not open on weekends. In an ATM it's a good idea to avoid specifying quantities multiple of 50€, as if you do so you'll only get 50€ notes (if you were planning to get 100€, get either 90€ or 110€)
Emergency phone numbers
In case of an emergency, you can use the following contact details:
- The organization team can be reached
- in person at the info desk
- by phone at (+34) 881 01 1369
- by email at [email protected]
- Additional phone numbers in case of an emergency:
- Law enforcement: 112 or 091
- Medical: 112 or 061
- Emergency: 112
- Taxi company: (+34) 981 28 77 77
- Smoking is restricted in every indoor public place, including restaurants, bars, cafes and the venue
- Outdoor smoking is also prohibited at childcare facilities, in children's playparks and around schools and hospital facilities
- In some hotel rooms it's also forbidden to smoke, if your reservation does not specify whether it's allowed or not to smoke in your room and you want to smoke, please ask in the hotel reception before doing so.
- The legal age for buying tobacco and smoking in Spain is 18