User:Massimo

From KDE Community Wiki
Revision as of 11:58, 15 January 2016 by Massimo (talk | contribs)

== Kdenlive keyboard shortcuts. ==

During the first Kdenlive café we talked about to open a page about keyboard shortcuts. Someone said that professionals won't use Kdenlive because without the right shortcuts the job isn't fast enough. I'm a professional video editor who wants to sustain Kdenlive development so I studied the problem but, as I wrote in the chat during the Café, we don't miss the shortcuts but the functions (insert and extract with IN OUT point as references, a good trimming window and all the 4 different kind of timming functions.) As first step I checked again how the main professional systems I used in the past (AVID, Premiere and FCP) are mapped. For the moment my first list for basical functions is this one:

IN: I

OUT: O

Go to IN: Q

Go to OUT: W

PREVIOUS EDIT: A

NEXT EDIT: S

Go at the beginning of the timeline or of a clip: HOME

Go at the end of the timeline or of a clip: END

Next Frame: RIGHT ARROW

Previous Frame: LEFT ARROW

Delete IN: D

Delete OUT: F

Delete IN and OUT: G

Play Pause: Space

Stop Pause: K

Play: L (for multispeed press more times L)

Play backward: J (for multispeed press more times J)

INSERT: V

OVERWRITE: B

LIFT from IN to OUT point: Z (this function still miss)

EXTRACT from IN to OUT point: X (this function still miss and in FCP and Premiere X is used for cutting at the editline position)

Standard video or audio TRANSITION: Shift+D (you have to be with the edit line between two clips and we need single track video and audio transition function)

ZOOM IN: T

ZOOM OUT: R

RENDER: ENTER

NEW BIN: N

Menu Acess: Alt+letter for the menu (but you never use menu during editing. You use it for preparing the project and for managing the editor program)

Maybe the first step we can do is to use these references for creating a new default map. I hope we can start a discussion on this.

Massimo Stella

== Advanced trimming tools ==

ROLLING

A rolling edit trims an adjacent Out point and In point simultaneously and by the same number of frames. This action effectively moves the edit point between clips, preserving other clips’ positions in time and maintaining the total duration of the sequence.

es_16.png

RIPPLE

A ripple edit trims a clip and shifts subsequent clips in the track by the amount you trim. Shortening a clip by ripple editing shifts all clips after the cut back in time; conversely, extending a clip shifts the clips that follow the cut forward in time. When you’re making a ripple edit, empty space on one side of the cut is treated as a clip and shifts in time just as a clip would be.

SLIP

A slip edit shifts a clip’s In and Out points forward or backward by the same number of frames in a single action. By dragging with the Slip tool, you can change a clip’s starting and ending frames without changing its duration or affecting adjacent clips. es_21.png

SLIDE

A slide edit shifts a clip in time while trimming adjacent clips to compensate for the move. As you drag a clip left or right with the Slide tool, the Out point of the preceding clip and the In point of the following clip are trimmed by the number of frames you move the clip. The clip’s In and Out points (and hence, its duration) remain unchanged.

es_22.png

All these operation are possible in AVID, FCP and Premiere by using the keyboard. A trimming windows is useful for checking how the new in out point match with the previous and following edit cuts.