Build Requirements

Jump to: navigation, search
Revision as of 8 November 2019 at 23:03.
The highlighted comment was edited in this revision. [diff]

Perhaps we should mention some build requirements? I think we should add information about where Craft build artifacts reside, how much filesystem utilization to expect, and maybe some build time estimates. Any objections to adding this information? Additionally, why is installation to C:\ recommended (what will happen if I don't), and why is MSVC 2019 build support listed as experimental? It ran fine with no abnormal warnings for me...

It built fine for me using Craft with MSVC 2019 given the current instructions but it ate my HDD, used all of my CPU and RAM, and took _forever_ on a low spec machine. Machine is an AMD E-300 APU @ 1.3GHz with 4GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1903 build 18362.418. Can someone else share some stats? Here is my result:

Filesystem occupation after build: 20.3 GB (21,831,225,344 bytes) 247,267 Files, 26,432 Folders

Time to build: 8h 34m

Installer executable size: 73.2 MB (76,759,040 bytes)

07:24, 20 October 2019

I'm so sorry, I just saw this message today!

Feel free to add any information that people should be aware of before starting like folder size, CPU specs and stuff like that.

Installation in C:\ is recommended because most of the illustrations later on are done with the C:\ address, and we want maximum users to experience a lesser complexity when they follow the already quite-involved build guide. You may still install it anywhere you like, but be sure to connect the dots when referring illustrations in the guide.

We have been noticing weird bugs as we built using MSVC 2019, and have been patching those along the way, so you might not notice any bug right away. As such, we stated it as experimental. My system (as stated in the guide) is Core i5-6200U. It took about 20 minutes to setup CraftRoot with a good enough internet speed.

yes. The folder size and build size is correct. Craft pulls a lot of code and packages. You can use `craft --clean-unused` to shed some weight.

23:00, 8 November 2019

also, it'd be better to mail at these two mailing lists so we can provide faster response. We don't get notifications or any nudge when people post here.

You can mail at these two mailing lists. I'll be sure to carry on the conversation over there!

- [email protected]
      - [email protected]

23:03, 8 November 2019