- 1 How to get to Randa
- 2 Information about the building
- 3 Information about the village and area
- 4 Information about future events
- 5 Information about past events
How to get to Randa
By public traffic
Randa and Switzerland is in the middle of Europe and as this reachable from several directions. There are three possible airports:
- Zurich, Switzerland
- By train via Zurich and Visp (change the train there). Duration: slightly more than 3 hours
- Geneva, Switzerland
- By train via Visp (change the train there). Duration: 3 and a half hours.
- Milano Malpensa, Italy
- By train via Visp (change the train there). Duration: atm unknown. Still investigating.
The track from Visp to Randa is frequented by a very famous train: the Glacier Express which is known as slowest fast train of the world ;-).
From these airports you'll take the trains to reach Randa (which takes approx. 3 hours). Information about the train schedules can be found on the webpage of the Swiss federal railways SFR.
Once you get to Randa, the House is easy to find. From North to South, arriving at the Randa Train Station you will go up the street then turn right then go 500m straight ahead and the House is there.
The house itself is pictured here.
If you take the train from either the Swiss border or one of the Airports to Randa, you can get a reduced price ticket, called the "Swiss Transfer Ticket 2nd Class". The validity is one month. It has to be ordered on this website: http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/produkttexte.php?passid=3 . You might also be able to purchase at a local partner (see below).
The return ticket fare is Fr. 127.- for both ways (a normal price return ticket 2nd class form Geneva Airport would be Fr. 170.-, one form ZH Airport Fr. 218.-).
CAREFUL: if you order the ticket online it will cost you an additional fee to get it delivered, depending on the country you live in. Please double check that this is not higher than a regular ticket price before ordering.
HINT: If you haven't bought your "Swiss Transfer Ticket" yet, you can still do so at your home destination via the reselling partners:
- Partners: http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/content/offer/ticket-shop/verkaufsstellen/
- In Germany: http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/paesse/schweiz.shtml
By personal car
Information about the building
Information about the village and area
Local hotels and restaurants
Information about future events
In 2011 four groups will be in Randa. You find more detailed information about them at the corresponding pages:
- Multimedia (Phonon, Amarok)
Dates: 1st/2nd to 6th/7th of June 2011
Information about past events
- KDE Multimedia Meeting, May 2010
- Plasma Meeting, Tokamak 3, September 2009
There is a general overview of KDE sprints available.