Sprints/Promo/2011/Planning: Difference between revisions

From KDE Community Wiki
(toscalix)
Line 78: Line 78:

Madison, WI (USA): The University of Wisconsin-Madison, where I (Oriol) study/work could offer a room for us to work and grant attendees Guest NetIDs so that they can access the university's wireless internet during the sprint. As for accommodation, there is a hostel in downtown Madison with dorm beds starting at $22 per night per person, and there are B&Bs and other more expensive options. Once the dates and number of people are confirmed, I could look into other accommodation options for at least some of the attendees(staying with me, friends, etc.) if necessary. Regarding transportation, Madison is in the Midwest. There is a three-hour bus drive north from Chicago (buses leave every 1:30 hours from Chicago's O'Hare airport) or another 55-minute flight to get here.
Madison, WI (USA): The University of Wisconsin-Madison, where I (Oriol) study/work could offer a room for us to work and grant attendees Guest NetIDs so that they can access the university's wireless internet during the sprint. As for accommodation, there is a hostel in downtown Madison with dorm beds starting at $22 per night per person, and there are B&Bs and other more expensive options. Once the dates and number of people are confirmed, I could look into other accommodation options for at least some of the attendees(staying with me, friends, etc.) if necessary. Regarding transportation, Madison is in the Midwest. There is a three-hour bus drive north from Chicago (buses leave every 1:30 hours from Chicago's O'Hare airport) or another 55-minute flight to get here.
Berlin - Perhaps it could be hosted at [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-base c-base]. It's located in downtown Berlin next to a youth hostel/two star hotel ([http://www.aohostels.com/en/berlin/ A&O Berlin Mitte] which is less than 1 km away from c-base, and costs about 25 € per night).
Another possibility could be having this event hosted at the KDE e.V. offices in Berlin (4 km away from A&O Berlin Mitte).

==Topics==
==Topics==

Revision as of 01:22, 2 February 2011

Please add your name and details below if interested in attending the 2011 promo sprint

Name When NOT available Current Location Travel restrictions
Stuart Jarvis Feb: 11-14, 19-27; March: 5-13, 19-21; April: 1-5, 15-17, 25-30; May: 5 UK None
Oriol Mirosa March 12-20 US (Wisconsin) None
Justin Kirby Feb 15-22 is no good, mostly free otherwise US (Maryland) none
Pau Garcia i Quiles I'll see what I can do Spain none
Aaron Seigo Jan/Feb, probably much of March; middle of May to first week of June Vancouver until March, then Zurich None
Carl Symons March okay if not many days; middle to end of April; linuxfestnorthwest.org US (Washington) None
Damnshock Not available first weekend of March Barcelona (Spain) money?
Damien Tardy-Panis not available until mid March and 22-25 April (and I will probably be free only the weekend) Amsterdam (from February to August) then ? depends mainly on the distance
Thomas Thym May till June would be perfect St. Gallen, Switzerland none
Javier Llorente available from March/April EU (Madrid) none
Agustín Benito Bethencourt Available from March 10 to May Madrid (Spain) none
Name When NOT available Location Travel restrictions

Venue ideas

If you know somewhere that might be willing to host, please note it here

UK - there are some companies and universities I (Stu) could talk to, but only tentative ideas

Berlin - Perhaps it could be hosted at c-base. It's located in downtown Berlin next to a youth hostel/two star hotel (A&O Berlin Mitte which is less than 1 km away from c-base, and costs about 25 € per night). Another possibility could be having this event hosted at the KDE e.V. offices in Berlin (4 km away from A&O Berlin Mitte).

Topics

• prepare for desktop summit (this would be insanely valuable on its own as

very little has happened on the KDE side so far)

• finish promo booklet (assuming we can get some of the folks who've been

leading the charge here to come)

• create some wiki pages for important repeatable promo tasks
    • ensure we have an up to date page with boilerplate slides for use at conferences, LUG meetings, etc to introduce people to KDE so people don't have to reinvent the wheel every time
    • a page for all things related to conferences that people might need, like having all source files for flyers, stickers, install media, etc in one spot
    • organize pages for major initiatives like ISMP ("Join the game") and the upcoming corporate sponsorship campaign
  • other misc tasks (mailing list cleanup, other wiki organization)
  • (pgquiles) get better exposure and more involvement for Windows/Mac efforts. For both users and developers. Non-Linux platforms badly need more developers, and Windows and Mac could bring many new developers in.
  • (pgquiles) "Sell" (advertise, not $$$) kdesupport, kdelibs, kdepimlibs and calligralibs (former kofficelibs) to third-parties as just one more module to Qt. Important: commercial support. See my mail to the kde-promo list for more info.
  • team building....in other words: meet each other in person, drink beers

(or whatever you prefer), hang out

• pushing KDE EDU (esp. at schools)
  • discuss the functioning of the promo/marketing teams and how we can improve in the future (tasks, responsibilities, communication, decisionmaking)