(Adding GCompris proposal)
|Line 57:||Line 57:|
'''Mentors:''' Bruno Coudoin, Johnny Jazeix
'''Mentors:''' Bruno Coudoin, Johnny Jazeix
Revision as of 13:36, 10 October 2015
Information for students
These ideas were contributed by our developers and users. They are sometimes vague or incomplete. If you wish to submit a proposal based on these ideas, you may wish to contact the developers and find out more about the particular suggestion you're looking at.
When writing your proposal or asking for help from the general KDE community don't assume people are familiar with the ideas here. KDE is really big!
If there is no specific contact given you can ask questions on the general KDE development list [email protected] See the KDE mailing lists page for information on available mailing lists and how to subscribe.
Project: Sample project
When adding an idea to this section, please try to include the following data:
- if the application is not widely known, a description of what it does and where its code lives
- a brief explanation
- the expected results
- pre-requisites for working on your project
- if applicable, links to more information or discussions
- mailing list or IRC channel for your application/library/module
- your name and email address for contact (if you're willing to be a mentor)
If you are not a developer but have a good idea for a proposal, get in contact with relevant developers first.
Project: Live demo for KWin Effects
Brief explanation: The idea is to offer a live demo for the available KWin effects. This would consists of starting a nested KWin instance as a sub-session and completely control it from the outside. E.g. for the Present Windows Effect it would be needed to have several windows open, control the mouse cursor to demonstrate the screen edge activation, support faking keyboard input for the filtering, etc.
The demo mode would have to use the Wayland backend in KWin as that's the only way to get OpenGL in a nested session (Xephyr doesn't reliable support it). This means part of the project would involve implementing missing features in the Wayland backend like for example a windowed mode and the interfaces to fake keyboard input. It also requires to complement the work on running nested KWin instances and better separate it. At the moment it's possible to control the DBus service name, similarly it would be needed to change the config file and kglobalaccel module name, etc.
Expected results: Infrastructure in place and at least one Effect which can be run in a live demo.
Knowledge Prerequisite: C++/Qt, Wayland would be preferable
Mentor: Martin Gräßlin
Project: Adding/porting/improving GCompris activities
Brief explanation: GCompris is a software suite comprising educational software for children aged 2 to 10. It includes many activities and there is room to add many more to the collection.
- You have to think of some innovative activities that makes children learn a concept as well as having fun. Some initial thoughts of new activities could be Series of numbers, Encoding-Decoding, Puzzles, Arrangements, Blood Relations, Directions, Map of India, Hindi Alphabets/Vowels (specifically for Indian Users), Multiplication tables, Squares, Cubes, Prime / Composite, Percentage and Fractions, Simple Interest, Compound Interest, Profit and Loss, Decision Making etc.
- If you prefer to port existing activities of the Gtk version, you can find a list at: http://gcompris.net/wiki/Qt_Quick_Migration_status telling which activities are still to port.
- Another way to improve GCompris is to add levels to existing activities in order to complete them and offer more to validate the learning of the child.
Expected results: At the end of the project, the student is expected to create/port, test and merge a couple of new activities to GCompris.
Mentors: Bruno Coudoin, Johnny Jazeix
Project: Robust plugin infrastructure for KFileMetaData
Brief explanation: KFileMetadata is a framework used to extract text and metadata from files. It currently only supports plugins in C++.
- Extend KFileMetaData to allow plugins in python and other languages
- Extend KFileMetaData's APIs so that we can query which plugins are installed and additional information about them
Additionally, KFileMetadata only supports extraction of metadata. We should be able to easily extend it in order to provide both extraction or writeback of metadata.
Expected results: KFileMetaData gets support for plugins in other languages.
Knowledge Prerequisite: A basic knowledge of C++ with Qt.
Mentors: Vishesh Handa <[email protected]>