SoK/2022/StatusReport/Karanjot Singh: Difference between revisions

From KDE Community Wiki

Line 1: Line 1:
== Preparing Standard Usage Scenarios for Energy Consumption Measurements ==
== Preparing Standard Usage Scenarios for Energy Consumption Measurements ==
As part of a pioneering sustainability project, KDE Eco has the aim of measuring and driving down the energy consumption of KDE/Free Software. This requires emulating user behavior, which can be achieved by planning and scripting Standard Usage Scenarios. For this , I will be writing Standard Usage Scenarios for various FOSS/KDE software like Kate , Kwrite and implementing it using scripts.

'''Project Type:''' Planning and scripting

'''Introduction and Abstract:'''
As part of a pioneering sustainability project, KDE Eco has the aim of measuring and driving down the energy consumption of KDE/Free Software. This requires emulating user behavior, which can be achieved by planning and scripting Standard Usage Scenarios. For this , I will be writing Standard Usage Scenarios for various FOSS/KDE software like Kate, Kwrite, LibreOffice and implementing it using scripts.

'''Mentor:''' Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss

'''Blog Posts: '''

[https://eco.kde.org/blog/2022-03-03-sok22-kde-eco/ SEASON OF KDE 2022 WITH KDE ECO]

'''Merge Requests and Discussion:'''

[https://invent.kde.org/teams/eco/be4foss/-/issues/32 Discussion on Pros and cons of different automation tools]

===== Weekly Progress =====

''' WEEK 1 - 3 : ''' For the first three weeks , I have tested various automation tools, in particular Actiona, xdotool, and GNU Xnee, to decide which of these tools would be best for implementing Standard Usage Scenarios.
I also wrote some documentation for using various tools which may be helpful for the anyone wanting to contribute to KDE ECO .

Revision as of 14:12, 9 April 2022

Preparing Standard Usage Scenarios for Energy Consumption Measurements

Project Type: Planning and scripting

Introduction and Abstract: As part of a pioneering sustainability project, KDE Eco has the aim of measuring and driving down the energy consumption of KDE/Free Software. This requires emulating user behavior, which can be achieved by planning and scripting Standard Usage Scenarios. For this , I will be writing Standard Usage Scenarios for various FOSS/KDE software like Kate, Kwrite, LibreOffice and implementing it using scripts.

Mentor: Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss

Blog Posts:

SEASON OF KDE 2022 WITH KDE ECO

Merge Requests and Discussion:

Discussion on Pros and cons of different automation tools

Weekly Progress

WEEK 1 - 3 : For the first three weeks , I have tested various automation tools, in particular Actiona, xdotool, and GNU Xnee, to decide which of these tools would be best for implementing Standard Usage Scenarios. I also wrote some documentation for using various tools which may be helpful for the anyone wanting to contribute to KDE ECO .