SoK/2021/StatusReport/Pablo Marcos

From KDE Community Wiki

New Website for Okular

Okular is a multifaceted program that I use almost every day for my PDF reading and annotating needs, although it can do much more. Sadly, its website is a bit outdated and not mobile friendly. I thus proposed to rewrite the Okular website using the HUGO framework, in a similar way as was done with the kde.org main website, keeping consistency with other KDE applications such as Konsole. Fortunately, some work was already initiated by Carl Schwan, so I only needed to continue and finish his work.

Mentors

Links

Repositories

Work Done

January 2021

I didnt do much in January, as it was the "partiels" (final exams) month at INSA and I was really caught up studying. But, back in Spain, there was a lot of snow! Which is super nice :p

February 2021

I started by porting the Anouncements section from Raw HTML to Markdown, for which I wrote a small script. Then, I configured the project to use the aether-sass (kde's HUGO standard theme) as a Go module, as Git submodules were less desirable. Finally, I added a FAQ section, which was easy since most questions had been removed from the FAQ in a recent cleanup. For this, I used the </details> and </summary> HTML labels, which I didnt know about and which seem super cool to me. Finally, I added the new /download and /build-it pages, using a mixture of HUGO markdown and raw html templates.

March 2021

Having added the index page as a raw html template, now I needed to add i18n support; this was achieved by using the {{i18n}} HUGO template, which I also used in the /applications table of supported formats. Next, I added the /contact page, which I redesigned and updated to include matrix. I modified the index to include a refference to Okular's upcoming PDF signing support (¡so neat! I might finally stop using Autofirma), cleaned up unnecesary files that were left from the transition, and added a Site Search functionality that works client-side and does not depend on google, insipired by (some might say copied from / en los mentideros dirán que copiado de) eddieweb's popular gist.

April 2021

I have finished the work on the project. All that is left is some minor modifications and writing this project report.

What I've learnt so far
  • The HTML labels </details> and </summary> exist! This has been super useful, as I have already used that knowledge in some personal projects :p
  • How to use HUGO in general, and HUGO i18n in particular
  • That Okular is adding PDF Signatures support!
  • How to wirte HTML, CSS and JavaScript, important knowledge that I have already applied in my next project, the website for the Mathematics Journal "Pensamiento Matemático"
  • KDE is as cool as I thought! 😏

Contact

If you want to make suggestions for this project, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Pablo Marcos

Matrix :- @pablitouh:matrix.org