< SoK
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 40: Line 40:
'''Blog: ''' http://garvitdelhi.blog.com/
'''Blog: ''' http://garvitdelhi.blog.com/

'''Mentors: ''' Anuj Pahuja <apnoob.13@gmail.com>
'''Mentors: ''' Anuj Pahuja <kamikazeanuj@gmail.com>

''' This is awesome about SoK: ''' This not only gives us a platform to develop for KDE organization, gain experience but we get goodies as well at the end :D
''' This is awesome about SoK: ''' This not only gives us a platform to develop for KDE organization, gain experience but we get goodies as well at the end :D

Revision as of 11:19, 9 November 2014

Student Name (Please leave this as a template and make a copy for yourself!)

Project Name:

A Brief Description:

Screenshot:

IRC Nick:

IRC Channels:

Blog:

Mentors:

This is awesome about SoK:

This is what I learned during SoK:

Garvit Khatri

Project Name: Porting Kturtle to KDE Frameworks 5

A Brief Description: In this project I will port application Kturtle to the latest KDE Framework 5. First I will start with Build System then moving on to UI, then to KDE Core.

Status: Getting more familiar with code and communicating with mentor.

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: garvitdelhi

IRC Channels: #kde-devel #kde-soc

Blog: http://garvitdelhi.blog.com/

Mentors: Anuj Pahuja <[email protected]>

This is awesome about SoK: This not only gives us a platform to develop for KDE organization, gain experience but we get goodies as well at the end :D

This is what I learned during SoK: The journey has just started ...

Pinak Ahuja

Project Name: Finding a better alternative to Xapian for Baloo

A Brief Description: In this project I will look at the underlying implementation of Xapian to understand why it doesn't function well for baloo's use case and find an alternative which works better and start implementing it.

Status: Understanding implementation of Xapian's features, that Baloo uses, from Xapian source code.

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: pinak

IRC Channels: #plasma #kde-baloo #kde-devel #kde-devel

Blog: http://pinak222.github.io

Mentors: Vishesh Handa

This is awesome about SoK:

This is what I learned during SoK:

Rahul Chowdhury

Project Name: Improve/refresh KHangMan UI

A Brief Description: The aim of the project will be to combine the desktop, plasma active and harmattan UI into one QML based UI instead of using QWidget and SVG. As a result KHangMan will be having a nice clean UI and it will be compatible on the above-mentioned platforms.

Status: Initially there were some segfault problems with KHangMan related to loading kvtml files and theme files that had to be taken care of, followed by some cleaning up tasks related to a few TODO and FIXME in the code. Then the QML files under harmattan were moved to a new 'qml' folder, and now KHangMan loads main.qml from there as the main widget in its mainwindow. Much of the code has been ported from QtQuick 1 to QtQuick 2.3 , and at present when the app is launched the QML view is loaded with some of the tools and buttons displaying and some features working properly. There are still a lot of things to be done, like fixing the issues related to loading of some image files, and adding some extra functionalities, and ultimately get the whole app to work properly and so on.

Screenshot: snapshot18.png

IRC Nick: rahulch

IRC Channels: #kde-devel #kde-edu #kde-soc #kde #fedora-kde

Blog: http://rahulc93.wordpress.com/

Mentors: Jeremy Whiting , Heena Mahour

This is awesome about SoK: SoK is a great way for coders to get involved with KDE and start making their contributions to it. Usually if a student has an impressive idea for a project and if it gets accepted, he/she gets to work on it. The experience gained in the whole process is invaluable, where people get to interact with the developers from all over the world, share their knowledge and learn a lot of new things all along. Everyone from the KDE community is extremely friendly, and they are always ready to help out anyone in need. At the end of the project the student gets to learn a lot, it helps to brush up coding and algorithm skills, and it also gives a sense of satisfaction by making your own contributions to a software that is globally used by all.

This is what I learned during SoK: Got to know more about QtQuick, learnt a few tricks on git, developed my OOPS concepts.

Koushik S

Project Name: digiKam : Improve automatic noise reduction using Wavelets

A Brief Description: The project aims to improve the noise reduction algorithm to better estimate noise present in the image, and correct them.

Status: Getting familiar with the present algorithm implemented, and in the process of implementing the updated one as a seperate OpenCV application for better understanding.

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: skoushik

IRC Channels: #digikam #kde-in #kde-soc

Blog: http://skoushik.wordpress.com

Mentors: Gilles Caulier

This is awesome about SoK: Great way to get started with open source development, and getting to know amazing people in the process.

This is what I learned during SoK: So far, I've learnt about practices in writing code, and utilizing Object-oriented Programming concepts for solving some of the problems.

Ranveer Aggarwal

Project Name: Revamp planetkde.org

A Brief Description: For the uninitiated, Planet KDE is KDE's Blog aggregator, i.e. it displays feeds from the blogs of KDE contributors on one common web platform.

It's been in existence since 2008, and uses Rawdog (A Python-based RSS Aggregator). It renders all the content on to a single HTML file, which can be customized.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is to revamp the existing website, in the following ways:

• Upgrade Rawdog to its newest version
  • Give the website a new look and feel, with mobile compatibility
  • Add social network feeds to it, if the APIs permit

Timeline: So here is what I have roughly planned:

• Firstly, I'll read through the rawdog docs, and try a small implementation locally.
  • Next, I'll go through the existing source code, and see how it is written, especially the rawdog-HTML/CSS integration.
  • After the basic requirement of aggregating blogs is done, I'll go through the API documentations of social networking websites and work on the integration with the website, again locally.
  • After understanding how things work in the above two steps, I'll make a rough mockup of the new design and that can be discussed and improved upon.
  • Then I'll develop the front-end part of the website
  • After that is done, add rawdog and the social network APIs to it.
  • Finalizing the code, adding finishing touches, adding new features if possible

Screenshot: This is how the current blog looks like:

IRC Nick: ranveeraggarwal

IRC Channels: #kde-www #kde-soc

Blog: Will be putting up soon

Mentors: Jonathan Riddell

This is awesome about SoK: It's my first step to Open Source, and I found the community very enthusiastic and helpful.

This is what I learned during SoK: //TODO

Dinu Kumarasiri

Project Name: Theme Designing for Pairs

A Brief Description: Pairs is an educational project focussed on pre-school children. It stimulates memory and logic skills in children. There are three aspects which should be covered in this project; Create and add new themes, Improve documentation, Refactor and format code base.

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: dinu

IRC Channels: #kde-devel #kde-edu #kde-soc #kde

Blog: http://sinceeverybodyhasablog.wordpress.com/

Mentors: Heena Mahour

This is awesome about SoK: This program gives a guided entrance to KDE and open source community.

This is what I learned during SoK: Still at the getting started phase. I'm sure this will have a long list at the end of the program.

Sayan Biswas

Project Name: Kanagram: Make clickable letters using QML objects rather than one text object.

A Brief Description: The aim of the project will be to make the letters clickable QML objects rather than one Text object, to animate them moving to the answer area, if a letter is typed on the keyboard then animate moving one of the letters to the answer area, and a few other improvements if time permits.

IRC Nick: techsayan

IRC Channels: #kde-devel #kde-edu #kde-soc #nitdgplug #konversation #gsoc

Blog: #TODO

Mentors: Debjit Mondal

This is awesome about SoK: The direct interaction and knowing about the available projects and get the opportunity to actually work on it under the guidance of the maintainers is really what excites me the most. In SoK the maintainers are also encouraging for new ideas and help us work on it from the basics.

This is what I learned during SoK: Got to learn Qt, revise my OOPS concept and the most importantly the journey has just began.