Rekonq/awesomeBar

From KDE Community Wiki
Revision as of 22:45, 19 March 2010 by Adjam (talk | contribs) (Created page with '= Developing an awesome bar for rekonq<br> = As we are having some problems to organize our work on this stuff, I thought to write here the things I was thinking abou...')
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Developing an awesome bar for rekonq

As we are having some problems to organize our work on this stuff, I thought to write here the things I was thinking about for the rocking new rekonq bar.

I'd like to rewrite all code from scratch here, adding features in an incremental way. These are my points, comments and suggestions are welcome:

1. New urlbar class, based on KLineEdit. Simpler is better and I think no one (will) use more the combobox with the features will provide there. In this level we have just an lineedit, probably storing just a string (remember all problems about UTF8 chars and unencoded urls). It will provide also a "smoother" loading animation.
  2. Add a notification area. On the right of the urlbar. With a simple API and able to show clickable icons about feeds, ssl infos, kget urls and "whatever you want". We have some examples of this in the plasma desktop. And a "libnotification". We need to study and document a bit about
  3. implement show results animation. The best thing here is probably jonas implementation. It was here.
  4. Implement detect results engine. We can use some runners here or reuse the UrlResolver class in the LastBar branch. (Remember: republish it).

About #3 and #4 points, I think it will be better to maintain the "showing animation" & the "results engine" code separated. Again, comments and suggestions are welcome :)