The KDE Branding Cheat Sheet (any better names?) is what it sounds like, a cheat sheet for the new KDE branding. It should show an overview of the branding, explain (briefly) some key terms, and show examples comparing the old brand with the new brand, for example:
- Old: "The first thing I do in the morning is logging into KDE"
New: "The first thing I do in the morning is logging into KDE Plasma Desktop"
- Old: "I can't wait until KDE 4.10 is released!"
New: "I can't wait until KDE Software Compilation 4.10 is released!"
KDE Branding Cheat Sheet
Some information about the cheat sheet
KDE is used exclusively in two meanings:
- KDE, the community, which creates free software for end users
- As an umbrella brand for the technology created by the KDE community
The expansion "K Desktop Environment" is now retired.
Workspaces provided by KDE. This includes:
- KDE Plasma Desktop, workspace for desktop computers
- KDE Plasma Netbook, suitable for Netbooks and other devices with a small display
The base of libraries and services which are needed to run KDE applications. It is used by core and third-party developers to create KDE software. Especially when including development frameworks and tools it may be referred to as KDE Development Platform. KDE Platform is built on a number of Pillars, for example:
- Akonadi, storage framework
- Solid, hardware layer
- Nepomuk, information management
- Phonon media framework
Applications based on the KDE Platform. Some examples:
- Okular or KDE Okular
- Dolphin or KDE Dolphin
There are a few brands which are used to identify application suites built up from several applications, for example:
- KOffice (KWord, Krita...)
- KDE Kontact or Kontact (KMail, KOrganizer, KAddressbook...)
KDE Software Compilation
The KDE community does regular releases of a core set of KDE software products (Workspaces, Platform and Applications). These releases are called the KDE Software Compilation and tagged with a version number, for example. "The KDE community is releasing KDE Software Compilation 4.4".
- http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/24/repositioning-kde-brand - Dot story about the rebranding
- http://community.kde.org/Promo/Branding - Promo wiki page
- http://community.kde.org/Promo/Strategy/DosDonts - Dos and Donts
- http://www.asinen.org/2009/12/how-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-rebranding/ - Examples