Nepomuk currently acts as the file indexer for the KDE platform and KDE applications. Even though we frequently tout that we are not just a file indexer, we need to index the files properly.
File indexing solutions
The KDE platform and applications in version 4.9, currently uses libstreamanalyzer to index the files. Current problems with strigi -
- Difficult to contribute to
- No documentation
- Does not reuse libraries
Lists the current status of indexing different files.
Roll our own?
We list down all the different file formats, and which all are supported by the different file indexing solutions.
- JPEG - Use exiv - strigi also uses exiv - currently broken
- PNG - Strigi rolls its own - detects the application name, color depth and interlace mode as well
- GIF - there isn't much metadata
- SVG - Strigi stores them as plain text
We just use exiv2 and cover almost everything. Plus the code would be super simple.
- spreadsheet formats
- presentation Formats
- cbz - Comic books
- whatever ..
- There was a bug report
- Text Files
- Text files
- Source Code
- ISO images
- Executable files