Projects/KDE on Windows/Tools
Download a binary with debug symbols
You must download a binary for the corresponding KDE applications with debug icon support from https://binary-factory.kde.org, e.g. https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/Umbrello_Nightly_win64/win64/.
- download umbrello-master-xxx-windows-msvc2017_64-cl.7z
- download umbrello-master-xxx-windows-msvc2017_64-cl-dbg.7z
- Unpack both archives to the same location.
Download a debugger
- Download SDK installer from https://developer.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk
- Start winsdksetzup, select "Download the Windows Software Development Kit ...." and press "Next".
- Uncheck all except "Debugging Tools for Windows x64".
- After the download is complete, enter the download directory and run "X64 Debuggers And Tools-x64_en-us.msi" from the Installers subdirectory.
Get the back trace
- Search for "WinDbg (X64)" on the start menu and run it.
- Select "File"->"Open Executable" from the application menu and select the main executable file you unpacked before, e.g. <unpack-root>\bin\umbrello5.exe.
- Select ""Debug"->"Go" to start the application. In case of a crash it will stop automatically.
- Select "View"->"Processes and Threads" from the application menu and select the main thread (id 000) if not already selected.
- Select "View"->"Callstack" to see the backtrace.
- Press "Source" in the call stack windows to see the source information.
- To save the call stack to the clipboard, press the icon on the left side of the Close button in the window title.
- Open a new bugs at https://bugs.kde.org and paste the clipboard content into that bug.
Note: Normally KF5 applications use DrKonqi to automatically generate a backtrace after a crash
cdb is the command line version of Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Tools#WinDbg WinDbg and could also be used to generate back traces. To use cdb follow these steps:
- Download a binary with debug symbols
- Download a debugger
- start cdb (normally installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64) with:
cdb -g -lines <executable>
- After the application crashes, enter the following command to select the main thread, if not already selected
- Then show the backtrace with
You can save this backtrace to the clipboard and paste it into the related bug report.
You can download DebugView from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/debugview.
To display debug messages, you must start this tool before the associated KDE application.