Plasma/Multiscreen

From KDE Community Wiki
Revision as of 05:29, 18 August 2010 by Chani (talk | contribs) (WIP: multiscreen page. saving often for fear of intel crashes.)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.

With the death of the ZUI, managing multiple screens (or per-desktop views) becomes... a little trickier. A UI for managing the containments ("widget groups" in user-speak?) is needed.

Manager UI

TODO

Other Tasks

When a screen is disconnected (or in PDV, a desktop removed) the associated containment and view (for each running activity) should be automatically stopped - and resumed again when the screen/desktop returns. We can migrate panels, but not desktops, and it doesn't make sense to leave something running and inaccessible (having to manually stop it would also be Wrong).

- When implementing this, be careful to check how it interacts with stopping and starting activities. it'd suck to lose containments. - I don't like how I ended up with two authorities on where a containment belongs: there's both the lastScreen/lastDesktop settings in the containment, and the place that running containment has in the Applet class. that ought to be rethought. - Might it be easier to leave the config in plasma-desktop-appletsrc, and have the startup loading skip containments assigned to nonexistant screens/desktops? -Once this is implemented, I believe panels should behave the same way, instead of migrating. It's more consistent that way. thoughts?