This page describes the plans to develop Plasma Mobile from a high-level. Day-to-day development and planning is done in KDE's Phabricator system.
Plasma Mobile 0.1 "Prototype" (finished)
The Plasma Mobile prototype shows the viability of Plasma on a handheld device. The prototype boots a reference device, is able to make phone calls, select contacts from an address book and contains partly functional outlook on how handset running Plasma could look like.
Plasma Mobile 0.1 provides:
- Phone stack definition
- Basic proof-of-concept Plasma Shell providing the handset UI, including:
- App launcher
- Draggable top panel
- Task switcher
- Settings application
- Proof-of-concept set of apps
Plasma Mobile 1.0 "Feature Phone" (WIP)
Plasma Mobile 1.0 provides an end-user ready experience with a minimal, useful feature set. This includes the underlying OS and plumbing layers, a workspace to launch and manage apps, some basic system functions to set up the network, show connection status, etc.
Functions that a 1.0 should provide:
- Answering and initiating phone calls
- Contacts / Address book
- Sending and receiving SMS, possibly other IM service as SMS is pretty old fashioned
- Hardware functions:
- Volume control
- Network control (wifi and Mobile), incl. airplane mode
- Basic settings
- Language / Locale
- Clock / Timezone
- Ringtone / Notification sounds / Do-not-disturb
- Mobile network functions and settings
- Data Limits
See Plasma Mobile 1.0 workboard.
Plasma Mobile 2.0 "Basic Smartphone"
Plasma Mobile 2.0 builds upon the basic functionality provided in 1.0, and provides more functions:
- Email reading and sending
- Application management (installation, updating
Plasma Mobile 3.0 "Featured Smartphone"
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.