This article describes how you can contribute to Plasma Mobile, take part in its design and development. This page addresses a wider range of skills, each paragraph explains how to get you going from a different starting point. Where else do you have the opportunity to shape a complete Mobile software environment?
I am a designer
For designers, the Plasma Mobile Forums provide a good start to get in touch with others in the team. You can pick up ideas from there, and post feedback or even your own designs to get input from others.
I want to write an app
There are multiple ways to bring your application to Plasma Mobile
- Write a native app: You can bring a new app that is already using KDE Frameworks to Plasma Mobile. Make the UI touch-friendly, and talk to us how it can best be integrated.
- Port an existing app: Plasma Mobile is an inclusive system, allowing to run different apps. If your application is written using is ready for the use on touchscreens and high-dpi displays, it's usually possible to install it using the package manager. A first step is to try it and fix possible issues.
- Android apps: Support for Android apps is currently work-in-progress. Talk to us about its status
I want to work on the Plasma Mobile system
If you want to the Plasma Mobile "core" system or functionality, a good starting point is to subscribe to the Plasma mailing list and let us know what you're interested in for improvements. If you're up for picking up any other task, let us know and we'll get you going.
I want to make Plasma Mobile available on my Linux distribution
We love your effort to bring Plasma Mobile to a wider audience, and we're ready to help you with that. If you would like to offer Plasma Mobile on a not-yet supported Linux distribution, the following information is useful:
- The source code is hosted in git repositories at git.kde.org, an overview of relevant repositories can be found [/../Code | here]
- KDE provides a reference image based on Kubuntu, you can use this to test against, look at integration-level solutions and borrow its tricks to get Plasma Mobile running
- If you want to improve things in an existing system, get in touch with us via the Plasma mailing list, or talk directly to the people working on the distro and packaging.
Do let us know of your efforts on the Plasma mailing list, so we can help you to get going and provide advice that may save yourself time and headaches.
I have this great idea for a new feature...
...but I can't do it all by myself. A great way to find like-minded people that may be able to help you make your idea a reality is to post it to the Plasma Mobile Forums to gather feedback on it. Maybe someone else has a similar goal, or you find people who want to help you.
I just want to help, throw a task at me!
Great! We always need help. In order to find something that you find fun and rewarding to work on, a good first step is to find out which itch you have with Plasma Mobile, and how it can be scratched. What's nagging you? Now give us a shout-out, best via the Plasma mailing list. You can also make yourself know in the Plasma Mobile Forums. There's plenty to do, tasks for every skill and level, and you'll find it's fun to work on and learn from each other.