- 1 FAQ for Plasma Active / Contour Novice Users
- 1.1 Setting up Activities
- 1.1.1 How do I create a new activity?
- 1.1.2 How do I delete an activity?
- 1.1.3 How do I edit an activity (name and background)?
- 1.1.4 How do I add resources to an activity?
- 1.1.5 I've just copied/downloaded a new file to my home folder, but it doesn't show up in the add resource dialog. Where is it?
- 1.1.6 How do I remove a resource from an activity?
- 1.2 Share/Like/Connect
- 1.3 Starting and using applications
- 1.4 Virtual Keyboard
- 1.5 Using Netbooks or Virtual Machine
- 1.1 Setting up Activities
FAQ for Plasma Active / Contour Novice Users
Setting up Activities
How do I create a new activity?
- Pull the activity wheel out from the right
- Tap on the + Icon above the wheel to open the "Create Activity dialog"
- Enter a name for the activity
- Choose a wallpaper
- Tap "Create activity"
How do I delete an activity?
- Pull out the activity wheel
- Scroll to the activity you want to delete (you cannot delete the currently active activity)
- Tap the trash can icon on the activity's thumbnail
How do I edit an activity (name and background)?
Tap the wrench icon on the top-left corner of the home screen.
How do I add resources to an activity?
There are two different methods for connecting a resource to an activity.
- Via #Share/Like/Connect
- Via the "Add resource" dialog
To add a resource to the current activity via the "Add resource" dialog, do the following:
- Tap the + Icon to the upper-left of the home screen
- Choose a resource category or start typing the name of the resource
- Select the desired resource(s) and tap "Add items"
I've just copied/downloaded a new file to my home folder, but it doesn't show up in the add resource dialog. Where is it?
The Add Resource dialog is based on Nepomuk, so it only shows resources that are already present in Nepomuk's database. If your file does not show up in the dialog, wait a few minutes until it has been indexed. In Plasma Active One, the indexer is suspended while on battery, so in order to get it running, plug your device in.
How do I remove a resource from an activity?
- Tap and hold the resource icon on the home screen until a context menu pops up
- Tap "Activies"
- Tap "Current activity".
Remember: This does not delete the file but only disconnect it from the activity.
These are "Share / Like / Connect" (SLC). They provide a unified interface for any Active application allowing you to do things with the currently selected resource (web page, picture, etc.).
For example, "Share" allows you to send an image to a friend or in the future to upload it to flickr etc., "Like" does things like bookmark a website or rate an image, "Connect" allows you to connect a resource to an activity but could connect it to other things as well. What exactly the three buttons do depends on the application and resource type.
This means that SLC is not available in your current context. This happens either on the home screen if nothing is selected or if you are in an application that does not support SLC (yet). As more and more applications receive an Active version, they will implement SLC as well.
How do I add a currently opened resource (Web page, Picture etc.) to an activity?
Just tap the "connect" button (it's the second one from the right, with the checkmark on it), tap "Activities" and then choose an activity to connect to.
Starting and using applications
How do I start an application?
There are two ways to start an application:
- From an activity
- From the launch area
To start an application from an activity, you have to first Add it to the activity. After that, you can start it by tapping it on the home screen
To start an application from the launch area
- Pull the peak all the way down
- Tap the application (you can also use the filter box to filter the available apps)
How do I use Kontact Touch?
You can find a manual on KDE UserBase
Where are the Browser's settings?
Since Plasma Active 2, there is a Settings application. Start it from the applicaton launcher and tap Web and Browser on the left hand navigaton. On this screen you will find settings for the browser. Do not look for an apply button, changes apply automatically.
The virtual keyboard covers something I want to refer to while typing. How do I get it out of the way?
The virtual keyboad can be placed on top or at the bottom. You can archive this by tapping the triangular button on the right edge of the keyboard to move it up.
If this does not work you can just tap on the cross and make moving the keyboard away. If you tap on a textfield again the virtual keyboard appears again. This can be usefull when using the search for widgets or pictures.
Using Netbooks or Virtual Machine
How do I get a Mouse Cursor?
The mouse cursor is still there but invisible.
For MeeGo images
First you need to start a terminal program.
- Press ctrl+alt+F1 on a netbook or alt+F1 on a virtual machine. Use Meta+F1 in VirtualBox instead, Meta is the right Ctrl button.
If you are able to catch it, you can also launch the Konsole application.
- By entering the following commands the invisible mouse cursor theme will be removed.
You have to become super user, please see the release notes for the default passwords.
Remove the invisible mouse theme
[email protected]# rpm -e plasma-mobile-mouse
The mouse cursor will appear after reboot
[email protected]# reboot
If you are using an Netbook and you like to try out without installation (live mode),
please instead of using the reboot command above use the following commands to restart only the graphics system
[email protected]# init 3 && init 5
For Mer images
Follow the same instructions for MeeGo image replacing the rpm command with this one:
[email protected]# echo "xopts=-nocursor" >> /etc/sysconfig/uxlaunch
Then reboot the system or restart the graphics system as explained in the MeeGo instructions.