Artwork and Visuals
- Icons (added tons of icons to the Breeze theme)
- Refined plus Systray icons to match the general theme
- Native Breeze widget themes for Qt4 and Qt5
- New Look & feel / Megathemes system settings module
- Plasmoid alternatives switcher
- New clipboard Plasmoid
- System load viewer Plasmoid
- Icon theme for dark color schemes
- Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) restructuring to improve usability
- Visual glitch fixes
- plasma windowed, a method to run Plasmoids as applications, useful for example for Plasma Media Center
- Notifications and running job display has been polished
- Logout and Lock screens now supports keyboard navigation
- kdeplasma-addons returns with many add-ons coming back
Newly Available Widgets
The following add-ons have been ported from and are in Plasma 5.1 compared to 5.0:
- Sticky notes
- Fuzzy clock,
- System load viewer,
- Icon-only tasks ("Icontasks")
- Two new animated wallpapers: Hunyango, Haenau
- Unit conversion search plugin
- Konsole profiles search plugin
Digital Clock and Calendar
- Time zone support in Digital Clock
- Calendar renders much faster and more memory-efficient
- Date display in the clock
- Significantly improved performance and memory usage in desktop mode.
- Faster, more responsive drag-and-drop operations.
- Greatly expanded context menus.
- Support for the 'associated application' system is back.
- Keyboard navigation improvements (support for Home and End keys, etc.).
- Spatial keyboard navigation (arrow keys, etc.) for unsorted views.
- Tooltips can be disabled.
- Icon size can be changed.
- Better guard against corrupt configuration.
- Many bug fixes (a few bigger ones: graphical glitches with drag and drop on some
drivers addressed, sort by size was broken, anchored range selections on
unsorted views misbehaved, drag-onto-to-launch for view-internal drag and drop
crashed didn't work, ...).
- Bug due to which the view context menu now works when Folder is a panel popup fixed.
- Support for screen readers and other accessibility (a11y) software.
- Layout fixes
- Performance improvements in favorites model
- Application descriptions are shown by default
- Various other visual and smaller interaction bugs fixed
- Basic support for editing menu entries right from the context menu (name, icon, command, etc.).
- Per-instance hiding of menu items.
- Basic integration with Muon Discover / package managers via PackageKit-Qt (you can jump into them via the context menu).
- Support for screen readers and other a11y software.
- Various bug fixes (a few bigger ones: improved positioning, "Add to Panel" with multiple applet instances in different panels could pick the wrong panel, initial keyboard focus when invoked via shortcut wasn't on the search field, ...).
- Icons-only Task Manager ("Icontasks") is back.
- Improved lifecycle behavior for launchers and startup notifications (clean handoffs/replacing, less visually messy co-existence).
- More reliable identity mapping between startup notifications and launchers and windows.
- A user-visible query language which can be accessed via the kioslave. Example - `baloosearch://?query=tag:Fire`. The query language can handle quite complex expressions. This will create a "magic folder" which will be updated in realtime
- Better UTF-8 handling in Searching - We now take diacritic marks into account. See this blog post
- Removable Media Storage - We now never index Network File Systems by default (it can be enabled by the user, though).
- Better detection of frequently modified files. We delay indexing for them.
- Detecting xattr changes - Baloo is now more of a file indexer and will listen to changes on xattr for files. This means any application can set the tags/ratings by just setting the xattr of the file. Applications no longer need to talk to Baloo.
- Overall speed improvements
- Many more tests in the File Indexers
KWin Compositor and Window Manager
- use of libepoxy
- use of atlas texture for window decorations in OpenGL compositor
- support for EGL_EXT_platform_x11 and EGL_EXT_platform_wayland
- support for GLX_INTEL_swap_event in glxbackend
- new binary kwin_wayland
- kwin_wayland supports starting the X-Server it needs to connect to
- Wayland (client) connection is held in a thread
- Support for using fullscreen shell interface
- Wayland related code split out into a new kwayland lib
This page was last modified on 15 October 2014, at 14:55. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.