Artwork and Visuals
- Icons (added tons of icons to the Breeze theme, plus reworked the Systray
icons to match the general theme)
- Breeze widget theme
- Look & feel / Megathemes KCM
- Plasmoid alternatives switcher
- Klipper Plasmoid
- System load viewer Plasmoid
- HIG restructuring to improve usability (not exactly a Plasma feature, but
since Gnome promoted their new HIG with the 3.14 release...)
- Visual glitch fixes
- return of kwidgetaddons (notes, fuzzy clock, timer, system load viewer, icon tasks)
- return of the timezones
- a tonne of runners
- plasma windowed (if it can be presented as not just an implementation detail)
- Notifications have improved look, some new features too (like not showing Open button for finished jobs when there's nothing to open)
- Calendar has way improved grid rendering
- Date in the clock (initially done by Dan Vrátil)
- Logout screen now handles "Return" key properly
- Significantly improved performance and memory usage in desktop mode.
- Faster, more responsive DND operations.
- Greatly expanded context menus.
- Support for the 'associated application' system is back.
- Keyboard nav improvements (support for Home and End keys, etc.).
- Spatial keyboard navigation (arrow keys, etc.) for unsorted views.
- Tooltips can be disabled.
- Icon size can be changed (disabled it shortly before 5.0 due to a bug).
- Better guard against corrupt config.
- Many bug fixes (a few bigger ones: graphical glitches with DND on some
drivers addressed, sort by size was broken, anchored range selections on unsorted views misbehaved, drag-onto-to-launch for view-internal DND crashed didn't work, ...).
- Some platform fixes that show up here the first time, e.g. the view
context menu now works when Folder is a panel popup.
Kicker Application Menu
- Basic support for editing menu entries right from the context menu
(name, icon, command, etc.).
- Per-instance hiding of menu items.
- Basic integration with Muon Discover / package managers via
PackageKit-Qt (you can jump into them via the context menu).
- Support for screen readers and other a11y software.
- Various bug fixes (a few bigger ones: improved positioning, "Add to
Panel" with multiple applet instances in different panels could pick the wrong panel, initial keyboard focus when invoked via shortcut wasn't on the search field, ...).
- Icons-only Task Manager is back. ("Icontasks")
- Improved lifecycle behavior for launchers and startup notifications (clean handoffs/replacing, less visually messy co-existence). - More reliable identity mapping between startup notifications and launchers and windows.
- A user visible query language which can be accessed via the kioslave. Example - `baloosearch://?query=tag:Fire`. The query language can handle quite complex expressions. This will create a "magic folder" which will be updated in realtime
- Better UTF8 handling in Searching - We now take diacritic marks into account. See relevant blog post
- Removable Media Storage - We now never index Network File Systems.
- Better detection of frequently modified files. We delay indexing for them.
- Detecting xattr changes - Baloo is now more of a file indexer and will listen to changes on xattr for files. This means any application can set the tags/ratings by just setting the xattr of the file. Applications no longer need to talk to Baloo.
- Overall speed improvements
- Many more tests in the File Indexers
Compositor and Window Manager
- new binary kwin_wayland
- kwin_wayland supports starting the X-Server it needs to connect to
- Wayland (client) connection is hold in a thread
- Support for using fullscreen shell interface
- Wayland related code split out into a new kwayland lib
- use of libepoxy
- use of atlas texture for window decorations in OpenGL compositor
- support for EGL_EXT_platform_x11 and EGL_EXT_platform_wayland
- support for GLX_INTEL_swap_event in glxbackend