Difference between revisions of "PIM/MS Windows"
(Add a searchmask for windows bugs)
(Update bugs searchmask without kdelibs)
|Line 10:||Line 10:|
== Bugs ==
== Bugs ==
For a list of open, Windows specific, bugs please see: [
For a list of open, Windows specific, bugs please see: [://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=akregator&product=kaddressbook&product=&product=&product=&product=&product=korganizer&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDSINFO&op_sys=MS+Windows&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0= bugs.kde.org]
== Problem points ==
== Problem points ==
Revision as of 07:41, 31 March 2011
This page covers topics related to the KDE PIM Suite on MS Windows NT kernel (which means running on Windows Desktop versions NT or newer like XP, Vista or 7).
To build KDE PIM for Windows use emerge. For documentation about emerge please see 
You should be able to get executables just by calling emerge kdepim.
For a list of open, Windows specific, bugs please see: bugs.kde.org
|DONE||Documentation of KDE||Due to meinproc4 crashes documentation build is turned off from all kde products.
|TO DO||LDAP Support||Enabling KLdap||Andre Heinecke <[email protected]>
|DONE||Akonadi Notifications||Akonadi Notifications are not communicated correctly to the GUI
|IN PROGRESS||Search||Provide a search backend
|IN PROGRESS||Nepomuk||Provide a working Nepomuk
|TO DO||Akonadi startup/shutdown||Decide how akonadi should be started/stopped on Windows||
|TO DO||Image view in Mailviewer||Images in the Mailviewer are not shown correctly||
|TO DO||Configuration dialog asks for save every time||The configuration dialog asks the user to confirm his changes even if no changes were made||
|TO DO||Design||Make KDEPIM feel native on Windows||
|TO DO||Integrate with GPG4Win||Use GPG4Win to provide Crypto support on Windows||Andre Heinecke <[email protected]>|
Documentation of KDE
For more details about the problem check the bug report: BUG263828
There is a workaround and documentation can be built.
OpenLDAP does not build well for Windows on Windows, for this reason there is no working OpenLDAP-src target in emerge, if you want LDAP Support you have to manually install OpenLDAP into your KDE Enviornment before building kdepimlibs.
Since Windows has native LDAP support with winldap it is easily possible to use that, an Obstacle for this is that also kdepimlibs is built with -DUNICODE it expects all system LDAP calls to return ASCII so you would have to do some conversions mappings there. A bit code for that is already in kdepimlibs/kldap/w32ldaphelp.h but it is only finished for WinCE not for WinNT.
Strigideamon does not compile for Windows NT at the moment, so apart from Virtuoso/Nepomuk there is no Search for KDE PIM Software available. Currently Virtuoso gets started in the Enterprise 5 Package on some systems and on others not. There might be a packaging problem or timeouts that are reached. Strigi indexing complains that it is disabled, so even with a running Nepomuk there is no search available at the moment.
Nepomuk only supports Virtuoso as Database backend. For a virtuoso installation to work regsvr32 has to be called on the virtuoso odbc driver at the moment. Soprano has to be fixed so that it checks if that driver is availble and if not registers it.
DBus problem that has been fixed in newer versions of DBus > 1.4.1
Oxygen Theme looks strange and alien on Windows 7 default style but ok on Windows XP style Currently the Packaged Style in the Enterprise 5 package is optimzed for windows 7
Best solution would be to check what the System Style is or package the KDE-Systemsettings to customize that style
Akonadi Start Stop
Akonadi startup can take a while on slow systems which delays the first Kontact startup.
Once akonadi is running it can not be stopped from the UI
To integrate with gpg4win one has to copy the gpg2.exe in the gpg4win/bin directory to gpg.exe in the same directory. Otherwise no backends will be found. This can be fixed by packaging a better gpg4win-dev package.
= Shutdown everything from KDE
Either run killkde.bat in your installation\bin directory or run kdeinit4 --terminate to shut down everything.
Delete all configuration
To delete all configuration files remove the folders .local .config .kde in your userdata directory. (e.g. c:\documents and settings\testuser\ on xp c:\users\testuser on win7) Also delete .kde in your application data directory (e.g. c:\documents and settings\testuser\Applicationdata on xp c:\users\testuser\Applicationdata\roaming on win7)
Switch to English
To change the application language of Kontact from German to English please use a text editor and change the locale settings in the file 'kdeglobals' to:
and restart all KDE processes (esp. logout, login). You'll find this file usually under the installed directory in 'Kontact\share\config' (e.g. c:\Program Files\Kontact\share\config\kdeglobals).
Or goto: help -> change application language
Backtrace for Crash reporting
If you encounter crashes, a backtrace might help the developers to find the defect faster. There are some hints doing a backtrace with gdb on windows in http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/Debugging_on_MS_Windows#MinGW_debugging_hints
General debugging techniques of KDEPIM Software are also available on Windows. There is akonadiconsole installed as a tool to debug akonadi, as well as qdbusviewer.
DebugView and some other tools from the following URL can be useful to diagnose problems: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Tools
DebugView will let you see the message of the KDE runtime system, which on GNU/Linux you can see on stdout or stderr.
Kontact and gpg4win
Kontact enterprise5 integrates with gnupg provided by the gpg4win initiative get it under http://gpg4win.de to enable SMIME and OpenPGP encryption.
Some notes from the original porting project
Integration into the Windows Explorer & Desktop
Registry settings for default apps and services
Introduction: We can detect whether KMail is the default e-mail client. If set as default, KMail should act as a default mailer, and thus be invoked automatically for actions like RMB "Send To -> E-mail Recipient". This shall be also reused by others for KOrganizer and Konqueror. The solution is relatively simple modifications to the Windows Registry. See Mozilla's solution.
First, we can use HKLM node for system-global settings or HKCU node for current-user-only settings. If the attempt to set the value in HKLM fails, usually because of unsufficient permissions, HKCU should be used. As expected, HKCU overrides HKLM settings. See KB297878. Below we'll use HKCU.
- HKCU\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet key is used to specify default web browser; could be set to Konqueror
- HKCU\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\app.exe\shell\open\command key is used for "Internet" start menu shortcut, can be set to Konqueror. Note from the KB - "The command might open the browser on the users home page, for example. However, it might launch some other introductory user interface that the ISV feels is appropriate." So this is not the same as 'default browser' setting.
- HKCU\Software\Clients\Mail\Appname - registered email client, there can be more entries within the 'Mail' node. Adding KMail here makes it available for users to select as a default browser using 'Set Default Programs' system window.
- HKCU\Software\Clients\Mail - default email client, 'Windows Mail' by default; could be set to KMail.
- HKCU\Software\Clients\Calendar\Appname - registered calendar application, there can be more entries within the 'Calendar' node. See the note for HKCU\Software\Clients\Mail\Appname.
- HKCU\Software\Clients\Calendar - default calendar application, 'Windows Calendar' on Vista; could be set to KOrganizer.
- HKCU\Software\Clients\Contacts\Appname - registered contacts client, there can be more entries within the 'Contacts' node. See the note for HKCU\Software\Clients\Mail\Appname.
- HKCU\Software\Clients\Contacts - default contacts application, 'Address Book' by default; could be set to KAddressBook.
- HKCU\Software\Clients\News\Appname - registered newsgroup client, there can be more entries within the 'News' node. See the note for HKCU\Software\Clients\Mail\Appname.
- HKCU\Software\Clients\News - default newsgroup application, 'Windows Mail' by default; could be set to KNode.
From the KB: After updating the registry keys, the application broadcasts the WM_SETTINGCHANGE message with wParam = 0 and lParam pointing to the null-terminated string "Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet" to notify the operating system that the default client has changed.
HKLM\Software\Clients\AppName\DllPath points to a dll implementing MAPI interface. Internet Explorer uses Windows Messaging by default to invoke a mailer on a mailto: link. Only if the MAPI install is misconfigured will it resort to directly accessing the mailto association key. Example implementation of MAPI services is Thundebird's mozMapi32.dll (the key is usualle equal to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozMapi32.dll).
- KDElibs execute default web browser or email client for protocols like http(s): and mailto: via QDesktopServices::openUrl(), which in turn uses ShellExecute(). openUrl() is widely used in Qt e.g. for hyperlinks in text boxes and label widgets.
- A general rule of KDE/win: not to duplicate registry settings in any rc file and use default applications if possible, to avoid changing behaviour expected by users.
- jstaniek 12:06, 18 June 2008 (CEST): Before LinuxTag I've performed some tests of setting default clients, and looks like it's is not possible to set onlt writing registry entries. Some API calls may be needed, especially because locked at least one registry key is locked for writing during the session.