- Why is it important? What does it do?
- More people
- Better retention of users and contributors
- More diverse community
- Faster integration of PR volunteers
- Positioning, project perception, branding
- Cross polination
News release requirements:
- A brief description of what the project does
- Link to the website
- Announcements get forwarded, lots of journalists are signed up on announce lists and often forget they're on such lists.
- 30 seconds
- Does the project solve a problem?
- Is it easy to use?
- "<ABC> is the <special or best> <thing> for <certain kinds of people> who want <something awesome>, <in the way they want to do it>."
- Example: "Moodle is the free web application that educators can use to create online learning sites, that are effective."
- Example: "<Drupal> is the <easy> <web development platform> that allows <anyone> <to organize, manage and publish their content>, <with an endless variety of customization>
- Phonon is the Qt library for developers who want to play multimedia effortlessly.
- <KDE Multimedia> is the <amazing> <collection of applications> that lets <anyone> <organize, manage, and enjoy multimedia> <exactly how they want to>.
- No need to mention the license. If they want to know that, they'll ask. It isn't a selling point.
- Boast! Brag! You're working for the project because you think it is the best one out there. Since its the best, tell them that it is!
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.