Matrix

From KDE Community Wiki

Matrix is an open standard for interoperable, decentralised, real-time communications. KDE is officially using Matrix for collaboration for KDE, superseding more antiquated and closed source services. Matrix is an open protocol and network for decentralized communication, backed by an open standard and open source reference implementations for servers, clients, client SDKs, bridges, bots and more. It provides all the features you’d expect from a modern chat system: infinite scrollback, file transfer, typing notifications, read receipts, presence, search, push notifications, stickers, VoIP calling and conferencing, etc. It even provides end-to-end encryption (based on Signal’s double ratchet algorithm) for when you want some privacy.

Furthermore, Matrix natively supports bridges to other protocols, such as IRC (the official KDE messaging channel). This means that you can use a Matrix client to join and use IRC channels like if they were Matrix rooms.

Clients

Find clients for your desktop or mobile devices here.

Registering and Logging in

On the web =

Visit KDE's online webchat...

Using a desktop client

After you have chosen you client, register with your username

Groups

Check back often as we will be adding new groups as we go.

Welcome

New to KDE? Start here and find out what this is all about here.

General KDE channel

Share your experience with the KDE community.

Development

KDE developers discuss technical stuff here.

VDG

Visual designers and Graphic artists discuss the look and feel of KDE software here.

Promo

The people from the work group that does promotion and communication with the outside world hang out here.

Plasma

Find out more about KDE's desktop environment here.

Plasma Mobile

Creators of Plasma for mobile devices hang out here.

Support

If you have a question, come and ask here.

Applications

Here is a list of individual applications that have their own Matrix rooms:

Kdenlive

The official matrix room is at: #kdenlive:matrix.org

Why should I use the Matrix IRC bridge?

Your IRC nickname will be available 24h and other people will be able to ping or contact you even if you are away from your computer. This can also be achieved by using an IRC bouncer, but Matrix has several advantages:

• Matrix provides unlimited chat history, an IRC bouncer doesn't.
  • The Matrix IRC bridge is much easier to setup than an IRC bouncer.
  • The Matrix reference client (Riot) can be used from smartphones.

How does it compare with IrcsomeBot?

IrcsomeBot is a Telegram bot that can bridge a Telegram group with an IRC channel. However there are the following shortcomings:

• A KDE sysadmin needs to setup the bridge between each group/channel. Matrix instead supports out of the box any freenode channel (and also other IRC networks).
  • IrcsomeBot is the only nickname that joins the IRC channel and forwards the messages sent from Telegram on behalf of their senders. Matrix instead performs a native bridging between the two protocols and creates a real IRC user that joins the IRC channel. Other people will be able to keep the usual IRC workflow with your bridged nickname (/whois, /query, etc.). In fact, they won't even know that you are using the Matrix bridge instead of a classic IRC client.

How do I join an IRC channel?

You can search or browse IRC channels from Riot. Just type the name of the channel you want to join and you are done.

If your favorite matrix client doesn't have a similar feature, you can join any freenode channel by joining the following Matrix room:

#freenode_<irc_channel_name>:matrix.org

For example, if you want to join the #kde-devel IRC channel, just type:

/join #freenode_#kde-devel:matrix.org

How do I change my IRC nickname?

By default, the IRC bridge will use your matrix display name to generate an IRC nickname (ending with [m]). If you don't like the default nickname, you can change it by sending the following command to the @appservice-irc:matrix.org bot (you will need first to start a private conversation with the bot):

!nick <your_favorite_irc_nickname>

How do I change my away status?

The @appservice-irc:matrix.org bot accepts raw IRC commands. To set the away status use:

!cmd AWAY <away_message>

for example:

!cmd AWAY Sleeping

To remove the away status just use:

!cmd AWAY

Other questions?

Check out the FAQ maintained upstream: https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-appservice-irc/wiki/End-user-FAQ