(How to change the away status)
Line 33: Line 33:
<pre>
<pre>
!nick <your_favorite_irc_nickname>
</pre>
== How do I change my away status? ==
The <code>@appservice-irc:matrix.org</code> bot accepts raw IRC commands. To set the away status use:
<pre>
!cmd AWAY <away_message>
</pre>
for example:
<pre>
!cmd AWAY Sleeping
</pre>
To remove the away status just use:
<pre>
!cmd AWAY
</pre>
</pre>

Revision as of 12:51, 5 April 2017

Matrix is an open standard for interoperable, decentralised, real-time communications. One of the most interesting features of Matrix is the native support for bridges to other protocols, such as IRC (the official KDE communication channel). This means that you can use a Matrix client to join and use IRC channels like if they were Matrix rooms.

Why should I use the Matrix IRC bridge?

Your IRC nickname will be available 24h and other people will be able to ping or contact you even if you are away from your computer. This can also be achieved by using an IRC bouncer, but Matrix has several advantages:

• Matrix provides unlimited chat history, an IRC bouncer doesn't.
  • The Matrix IRC bridge is much easier to setup than an IRC bouncer.
  • The Matrix reference client (Riot) can be used from smartphones.

How do I join an IRC channel?

You can search or browse IRC channels from Riot. Just type the name of the channel you want to join and you are done.

If your favorite matrix client doesn't have a similar feature, you can join any freenode channel by joining the following Matrix room:

#freenode_<irc_channel_name>:matrix.org

For example, if you want to join the #kde-devel IRC channel, just type:

/join #freenode_#kde-devel:matrix.org

How do I change my IRC nickname?

By default, the IRC bridge will use your matrix display name to generate an IRC nickname (ending with [m]). If you don't like the default nickname, you can change it by sending the following command to the @appservice-irc:matrix.org bot (you will need first to start a private conversation with the bot):

How do I change my away status?

The @appservice-irc:matrix.org bot accepts raw IRC commands. To set the away status use:

!cmd AWAY <away_message>

for example:

!cmd AWAY Sleeping

To remove the away status just use:

!cmd AWAY