We want to simplify packaging and maintenance of Marble. And we want to make it easier for KDE application authors to link against the marble library by getting rid of a kde-edu dependency.
So starting with KDE 4.5 the Marble source code is supposed to be reorganized:
Marble Qt Library
- It's Qt Only. No KDE dependencies.
- Contains the actual Marble library in the package "libmarble". "libmarble" should contain the essentail graphics which are necessary to display stuff graciously. Therefore Graphics inside "libmarble" should include such as the current directories data/svg, data/mwdbii, data/icons, data/ico, data/bitmaps and dgml file and the level zero tiles of the maps: Atlas, Satellite, OSM and Plain Map. libmarble should contain all base plugins. The package libmarble should recommend installation of the package libmarble-data.
- Contains the recommended base data in the package libmarble-data. This includes the data of the most basic maps: Atlas, Satellite, OSM and Plain Map. Specifically "libmarble-data" should contain the current directories data/flags, data/weather and data/stars. libmarble-data should depend on libmarble.
- Provides the Marble Qt application (Executable: "marbleqt") as an example application in the package marbleqt (Compilation of this part can be switched off at wish). The package marbleqt is optional. The package marbleqt should depend on libmarble and libmarble-data.
- Located in SVN at .
- Provides Qt development documentation, bindings and tools for Marble in the package libmarble-dev. This package is optional.
Marble KDE application
- Depends on Marble Qt library (in kdesupport/libmarble).
- Provides the Marble Application (Executable"marble"). Suggested package name: kdeedu-marble. kde-edu-marble depends on libmarble and libmarble-data.
- Provides the KPart. Actual location of this part in SVN needs to be evaluated for best reuse.
- Provides optional data ( Moon, Historical Map, Precipitation, Temperature, etc.) in the package kdeedu-marble-data. This package is optional.
- Located in SVN at
- What should happen to the worldclock plasmoid? Move it to the other KDE plasmoids (which would depend on libmarble inside kdesupport).
1. Jens-Michael ("jmho") starts to get rid of QTONLY in MarbleDirs.
2. Get rid of all the kde specific cmake code below marble/src/lib (no "if (QTONLY)" anymore)