The main goal of a Bug Hunting Day is to ensure that all the current bug reports are valid and the developers have enough information for fixing them. By the end of the day we should ensure that:
- all the CONFIRMED bugs are reproducible on the current version of Krita by at least one person except the reporter and has enough information to be reproduced by a developer
- the amount of UNCONFIRMED bugs drops to zero, that is we should triage all (optimistically) such bugs into CONFIRMED or NEEDSINFO
- if noone can reproduce a bug, we keep it UNCONFIRMED or mark as NEEDSINFO.
There are two groups of people involved: Bug Hunters, Developers.
Bug hunters are the main force of a hunting day. They test the bugs on bugzilla and write the their verdict. If you would like to be a hunter, please follow these simple steps:
- Make sure you've got a bugzilla account!
- Join us on #krita on irc.freenode.net
- Update your Krita to the latest testing version using Krita Lime or any other method you prefer. See this manual on getting the latest testing build.
- Backup and reset your Krita configuration files and resources (see manual)
- Read Bug Writing guidelines to see what info is usually needed in the bug report
- Write or update your name and system configuration in this configurations spreadsheet. The info is needed so the developer would know how system/hardware influence the bug.
- Walk through the bugs and try to reproduce them on your system. You can add comments, ask the reporter about more info and do whatever you think is needed with this bug. You can consult guidelines to see what additional info might be needed to reproduce/fix a bug.
- Add a note to the bug to say that you have triaged the bug and whether you've been able to reproduce it or not.
- If you managed to reproduce a bug on your computer: add all the information you have on how you reproduced the issue and add the "triaged" keyword to the bug.
- Continue with the next bug!
The main task for developers is to coordinate the work of hunters and have the final word on changing the status of the bugs. The final status assignment can happen when the day is ended based on the contents of the spreadsheet.
The steps for the developers are quite boresome:
- Mark triaged bugs that have enough information (see guidelines) as CONFIRMED
- If no hunters managed to reproduce a bug, mark it either as NEEDSINFO or WORKSFORME
- Repeat until you have no UNCONFIRMED bugs left.