- A simple experimental implementation of a LINQ-like query language for C++ containers.
- What users hate and what like about MSA 2k7
- An experimental, an object oriented, semistructured Database Management System.
- web-based forms, compare to kexi web forms...
- Quick Reference Guides to Popular Software
- good idea for Calligra apps
- Kexi commit RSS
- Customize here
- Qt Property Browser
- Qt Solution similar to our KoProperty2. But at the time of writing the former we did not have access to LGPLed Qt Property Browser.
- Open Source string template system based on the Django template system from the Django project
- A network wrapper for SQLite
- An Apache 2.0 module which provides access to SQLite databases over HTTP. SQLite required that clients of the database be on the same machine as the SQLite database itself. mod_sqlite allows you to access your SQLite databases over a network.
- A set of Oracle to Kopi (a Java based framework) migration tools providing automatic translation of your Oracle PL/SQL, Forms and Reports applications.
- An open-source multi-platform database management GUI that supports accessing most of the common database platforms in use, including Oracle, MySQL, Postgres, and ODBC.
- A Java-based tool that analyzes the metadata of a schema in a database and generates a visual representation of it in a browser-displayable format.
- MDB Tools
- A library for accessing Microsoft Access .mdb files
- MDB Doc
- An add-in for Microsoft Access 2000, XP, 2003, 2007 and 2010 to automate the creation of database documentation in XHTML format. An older version (1.40) supports Access 97. Definitely a more reliable way of importing MDB/ACCDB to Kexi (planned this approach years ago). Extra idea is to add web service that accepts the Access files online.
- (pronounced ['ku:ksdu:]) is a framework for creating desktop-style web applications (rich internet applications, RIAs) for desktop and mobile clients; idea: use it for the next generation Kexi WebForms.
- A suite of tools to assist in the workflow for doing bibliometric/ scientometric research, that is, research into the workings of the science system itself based on data on publications, patents and so on. Qt Ambassador link, by André Somers, adds DDL and more on top of QtSQL, connects with MySQL and MSA (the latter with MS ADO); jstaniek met André at QtCS 2011; see also QtSQL discussions at Qt5-feedback
- Forms, Reports
- Widget palette for Forms & Reports: Xcode does it similarly to our plans  
- Idea: display more than one form/report on the same sheet ; having zoom enabled would help to navigate
- Idea: display help box for form widgets/report elements  
- Idea: move "Create" tab to toolbox 
- Add means for styling forms using the Qt CSS
- Reuse Spatialite, Sqlite GIS extension
- Consider using Mapnik, a mapping toolkit for desktop- and server-based map rendering, written in C++ (instead of Marble).
- BOND uses database comments to store information about casual relationships
- it's good idea to have some use/reuse of db comments in Kexi but it's not clear if it's safe to use them for metadata since users would already depend on comments for other purposes; so BOND usage of comments is a bit hacky
- it's good idea to have casual (weak) relationships, it's compatible with how KDb is going to deliver relationships (i.e. both strong and casual)
- KoolGrid - web grids
- Explore topic of Faceted search, related to "Query by example".
- Google Cloud SQL is web service that allows you to create, configure, and use relational databases with your App Engine applications.
- Kexi could propose to disable or uninsatll the least used plugins, see how Thunderbird does this .
- Add integration to the http://www.taskjuggler.org and Plan
- Add integration to the Kanboard. It's based on SQLite so would be interesting. And we use it within KDE at https://todo.kde.org.
- Add integration with Percona Toolkit for MySQL
- Use jackcess instead of mdbtools. That would add java dependency but only for the driver. They beat mdbtools . And are 5 times faster than original MSA. They really support many details 
- Later someone would port it back to C++
- Grouping columns of Table View as in http://stratusbase.com/demo 
- SQL Formatter - many options/ideas for SQL formatting/prettify, can be applied to Kexi's SQL editor (and later: documentator)
Kexi-based bugzilla client
Make Kexi useful as GUI for KDE Bugzilla. Reason: to eat our own dog food in Calligra. Use bugzilla's webservices for this. Probably separate plugin could be developed. Online/offline operations with synchronization. (discussed with Inge who likes the idea)
Use Fossil DVCS to handle versioning in Kexi file db
Fossil SQLite-based DVCS, so fits nicely to Kexi needs. It lacks crazy ideas of git, stability is the goal.
Test Data and Test Data Generators
- fake2db generates fake but valid data filled databases for test purposes, supports sqlite, mysql, postgresql, mongodb.
- Many other listed: 
- Options for SQLite speedup, could be offered via Kexi
- Vitesse Data - compiling query into native code using LLVM. The code is optimized to move tremendous amount of data intra-CPU and to run efficiently on modern superscalar CPU.
- public scripting apis should be appealing to users; make them simple, e.g. like this 
- IPython provides a rich toolkit to help you make the most out of using Python, with powerful Python shells (terminal and Qt-based), etc. Idea: support similar interactive shell for Kexi projects.
- sqlite3 Node.js module: Asynchronous, non-blocking SQLite3 bindings
.kexi files encryption
- Add encryption option using the SQLCipher. Kexi should ask for password on opening is needed. Integration with KDE Wallet is suggested. There may be others but this is the only known, reasonable open source option. Extra TODO: evaluate possibility of encrypting only selected tables.
DB Connection proxy/pool/relay/load balance
- With SQL Relay, you can speed up database-driven web-based applications, enhance the scalability of database-driven web-based applications, distribute access to replicated databases, throttle database access, access databases from unsupported platforms and migrate applications from one database to another.
- SchemaSpy is a tool that analyzes the meta-data of a schema in a database and generates a visual representation of it in a browser-displayable format.
- sqlite_anlyzer - Idea: use it with Kexi so users can analyse the project
- From: :
- Can record editing in Kexi be like this? Can the look / feel be pluging-based? 
- Can the browsing in Kexi be like this? 
- Microsoft Jet Database Engine Programmer's Guide
- useful when working with the MDB driver
- Ribbon Designer
- what's new in 'the other' GUI impl.
- Theme Builder
- It would be far easier to implement ODF replacement, since unlike MSOOXML, ODF shares more styles with the same XML markup across apps. For Kexi Forms and Reports themes is a TODO as well.
- Developing Access 2007 Solutions with Native C or C++
- MSA 2k10 gets a kind of triggers
- Netbeans GUI looks similar to Kexi 2 GUI in some aspects
- Total Access Statistics 2010 for MSA 2010
- Beyond generic databases...
- Qtitan DataGrid
- Ideas for grouping, totals and filtering
- Genero Report Writer
- Reporting tool, TODO: perform research :)
- A report solution based on Qt (dual-licensed).
- A free report engine similar with Jasper or Crystal Reports, embeddable in Qt applications. (inactive since 2010)
- Integrated reporting tools for SugarCRM. Filling the gap in SugarCRM. GPL core + commercial plugins.
- Zoho Creator
- Like MSA Online: https://www.zoho.com/creator, https://www.zoho.com/creator/migrate-msaccess-database.html
- Office 2010 menu to ribbon reference workbooks
- (xlsx files)
- Ways to use Access data in Excel
- Similar to plans of Kexi/Tables integration
- FileMaker's docs
- FileMaker Go - tablet app
- Lotus Approach
- Alpha Five
- Simple Visual Database Creator
- Let's look at its simplicity
- MSO 2k10 branding - the modern menu is close already
- firefox sqlite manager
- A database management system for creating web-based applications
- A 3-tier, cross-platform application development framework, written in Python atop the wxPython GUI toolkit. MIT-licensed.
- HTML Smile widgets
- Ideas for implementation of data widgets
- Pentaho Business Analytics
- Includes business intelligence, data integration and data mining capabilities
- ADO.NET Entity Framework (EF)
- An object-relational mapping (ORM) framework for the .NET Framework
- Caspio Online Database
- Allows to create online databases and complete business applications without writing code, using an app-builder.
- A program for creating labels and business cards for GNOME. Idea: make Kexi reports 100% competitive to this use case. To do so, include plugin with predefined templates and an Assistant.
- An OpenOffice/LibreOffice Basic library of macros for (business or personal) application developers and advanced users. The provided macros implement a number of functionalities - directly inspired by MS Access.
- dbForge Studio for MySQL
- Rich GUI-based db management app. Free Express version available.
- Solutions for taking MSA to the cloud
- Microsoft Access Databases Online
- A DataMapper for GObject. See also SQLHeavy below.
- A wrapper on top of SQLite with a GObject-based interface, providing APIs for C and Vala, GObject Introspection support, and additional functionality not present in SQLite.
- Provides components for building business applications on top of Python, SQLAlchemy and Qt. Inspired by the Django admin interface. Dually licensed (GPL/Commercial).
- "was written to help web developers build applications that work offline as well as they do online. Applications save data locally, so the user can use all the features of an app even when they're offline. Plus, the data is synchronized between clients, so the user has up-to-date data wherever they go."
- Create native cross-platform desktop, web and web-mobile apps -- ultimately similar to Kexi
- Lianja App Builder
- Submitting Access Database Templates to Office Online
- The ACCDT template files that are utilized by Microsoft Access allow a user to create database files with the same formatting without the need to re-create each individual file from scratch. The ACCDT files are saved in a compressed archive of XML and text files.
- The Rational Guide to Microsoft Office Access 2007 Templates
- A complete book.
- Access Template File Format
- Official specs
- A .NET database system is comparable to other personal/office database tools like Filemaker and Microsoft Access, and it is also a database server like MySQL or Microsoft SQL Server. Many nice ideas, built as alternative.
- A report writer, code that was forked as a base of KoReports used in Kexi Reports (now the KReport framework).
- The XtraReports Suite
- A multi-platform banded reporting library for WinForms, ASP.NET, MVC, WPF and Silverlight.
- Part of OpenRPT , a scripting language developed by xTuple for use by the report writer. The language is designed to handle dynamic database queries. Don't confuse with Oracle/PeopleSoft's solution (see below).
- PeopleSoft Meta-SQL
- "One of the most useful development shortcuts in PeopleSoft".
- An Object Oriented Database Management System (OODBMS) based on the ODMG 3 specification. Schema-Oriented Generated C++ API is interesting.
- An object-relational mapping (ORM) system for the C++ language. It allows an application developer to persist C++ objects to a relational database without having to deal with tables, columns, or SQL and without manually writing any mapping code. There's also Qt support.
- A simple desktop database and apps creator, Java-based. Contains wizards.
- MS Access VCS Integration
- Synchronize your Microsoft Access Database definition with a version control system; BSD, reuse for Kexi MS Access integration.... See also Decompose MSAccess (abandoned).
- A web service that looks like a spreadsheet, but it's a relational database
- Hiberlite ORM
- A C++ object-relational mapping for SQLite with API inspired by Boost.Serialization
- An open source admin tool for MySQL server, MS SQL, PostgreSQL, to browse, edit data, create and edit tables, views, procedures, triggers and scheduled events. Lost of nice GUIs.
- A Qt based library to interact with SQL databases that uses. It uses advanced C++ templates that helps to write SQL queries in a type safe way, checked at compile time. LGPL. Good to look at these templates for KDb ideas ;) Ping KDAB!
- TODO: KDb conveniently escapes string for you thanks to prepared statements or C++ overloaded operators. See how hard is this in libgda:  .
This page was last modified on 17 January 2019, at 21:49. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.