This page will be moved to Predicate when Kexi moves to Predicate.
Minutes from IRC meeting
- requested by jstaniek
- attended by boemann, jstaniek, smitpatel
- idea: storage for bibliography could re-use libKexiDB instead of libQtSQL
- simplify the code
- increase code re-use - KexiDB is developed 8+ years already with reuse in mind
- make the database ($HOME/.calligra/biblio.sqlite) accesible to Kexi, so biblio db can be added to the Kexi Scientific templates for data re-use and manipulation
- KexiDB has database and table creation API, QtSQL does not (code complexity)
- cons and questions:
- size of libKexiDB as dependency (Biblio already uses SQLite3, which is the biggest dependency compared to either QtSQL or KexiDB)
- we're moving to predicate (but that would happen no earlier than in 3.0, realistically in 3.1 or 3.2), so KexiDB is here for the transition
- are the APIs stable? (yes, most changes happen in Predicate, moreover KexiDB is calligra's internal API, so will be updated with the apps and the Biblio code)
- Words cannot depend on Kexi (it wouldn't, relevant parts of KexiDB should be moved to calligra/libs/)
- extra points, from Kexi's perspective
- Kexi will have biblio-feature db in 3.x anyway as a template, which ideally would depend on Words too. With kexidb reuse we would avoid incompatible two databases, extra work, and two Biblio products.
- For now Kexi lacks templates that are real world and integrated with other Calligra apps.
- current state: smitpatel delivered QtSQL-based code for Biblio (within GSoC 2012)
- final agreement has been reached
- KexiDB adoption
- Biblio can be still kept small enough
- jstaniek offers to move relevant part of KexiDB to calligra/libs/
- the library renames to calligradb and the dir is calligra/libs/db/ (to avoid references to Kexi)
- jstaniek offers support for smitpatel in development
- jstaniek offers support for porting when Predicate arrives
- jstaniek offers maintaining the libcalligradb for Qt 5.0
- jstaniek proposes to keep KexiDB namespace in libcalligradb however since it defines API which is heavily used in Kexi (3200+ times); after moving to Predicate it won't be a problem
This page was last edited on 19 September 2016, at 19:44. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.