Kexi/Getting Started: Difference between revisions

From KDE Community Wiki
No edit summary
Line 37: Line 37:
**Testing for accessibility, e.g. identify areas of the application that are not clearly visible on non-default color settings or cannot be used without mouse
**Testing for accessibility, e.g. identify areas of the application that are not clearly visible on non-default color settings or cannot be used without mouse
**Testing for localisations issues, including support for right-to-left languages, etc. (note: errors in translations to other languages should be reported to a particular [http://i18n.kde.org/teams/ translation team])
**Testing for localisations issues, including support for right-to-left languages, etc. (note: errors in translations to other languages should be reported to a particular [http://i18n.kde.org/teams/ translation team])
**Locating errors in the <a href="index.php@Handbook.html">Kexi Handbook</a>, report unclear or incomplete paragraphs, outdated or missing screenshots (the above note about translation teams also apply to translated documentation)
**Locating errors in [http://userbase.kde.org/Kexi#Documentation.2C_Tutorials_and_Samples Documentation, Tutorials and Samples], report unclear or incomplete paragraphs, outdated or missing screen shots (the above note about translation teams also apply to translated documentation)

</ul>
</ul>

Revision as of 15:28, 9 August 2011

Ways for contribution

• Tester
  • Developer
  • Promoter

Communication channels

See Contact.

Common tools

Specific for Developers

Specific for non-Developers

• Starting: "I am not developer, I cannot or do not like to program. How can I help?"
  • For testing, possibly the newest Kexi version should be used
  • After starting Kexi for the first time, a new empty database can be created. Handbook (old) can be used to get information how to do this.
  • To test support for server databases, access to a server is needed. It can be the same computer as the used desktop or laptop machine, but database server software have to be installed on it. Users that lack knowledge on how to do this should ask someone (e.g. a network administrator) to do so.
  • Example databases on a database server (MySQL, PostgreSQL) useful to test server connections will be provided later after contributor provides a server space.
  • Beginner users may also want to use example database as a reference.

Other information

• What do testing means?
    • Identifying crashes or misbehaviour
    • Locating places where Kexi is inefficient (e.g. for large data sets) or hangs
    • Checking particular functionality and proposing extensions, e.g. data importing functions
    • Comparing the application to the competition and identify the most desired features that Kexi currently lacks
    • Testing for usability, e.g. identifying functions that are hard to use or locate
    • Testing for accessibility, e.g. identify areas of the application that are not clearly visible on non-default color settings or cannot be used without mouse
    • Testing for localisations issues, including support for right-to-left languages, etc. (note: errors in translations to other languages should be reported to a particular translation team)
    • Locating errors in Documentation, Tutorials and Samples, report unclear or incomplete paragraphs, outdated or missing screen shots (the above note about translation teams also apply to translated documentation)

<a class="totoc" href="[email protected]#__TOC">^ toc</a><a name="How_to_Report_Bugs"></a>

How to Report Bugs