Revision as of 12:54, 11 September 2015 by Vpinon (Created page with "During UI review with newcoming video editor and UI designers, we highligted several UI issues. We gathered these issues by topic __TOC__ = Finding functions without even lo...")
During UI review with newcoming video editor and UI designers, we highligted several UI issues. We gathered these issues by topic
- 1 Finding functions without even looking for it
- 2 Making the workflow smooth and efficient
- 3 Removing visual glitches
- 4 Adapting UI for touch
Finding functions without even looking for it
- Toolbar standard actions are not so pertinent : New/Open & Copy/Paste not often used (see kate: no toolbar)
- Designer note: (toolbars) add space in the layout even if not so useful...
- rather offer to navigate between project steps: import clips, add transitions & effects, export (Première: changes layout, eg popping the color grade panel or the export panel)
For newbies: common habits of any software
- Beginner layout : make timeline larger ; don't use tabs? ("Combine Classes of functions in combined views")
- Import ? (not in toolbar, nor file menu, but Project / Add clip)
- Drop transition from a list?!
- Effects => preview. beginners need some help (experts will like filter); Pan & Zoom should stand out
- Publish : Render => "File / Export" (render is sometimes "calculate effects") + should stand out in toolbar (cleaning the latter)
- Render widget should only show codec & presets + start(queue), all other options hidden. Preview quality à la HandBrake?
- Direct send to youtube etc?
For users of competings apps: habits in the video field
- Usual layout : effects list behind project bin ; effects stack behind Clip monitor or on Timeline side
- Start playing project clip in monitor: Double click? Space bar OK
- In/out zone OK, but then a shortcut to queue on timeline + pbm to put at 0 time !!
- Resize : roll edit tool (move touching clips ends simultaneously) or resize one end + delete gap
- Transition on track (ctrl-T) ?
- Adding titles: hard to find, should appear in project toolbar
Making the workflow smooth and efficient
- factor too sensitive? Linear not most effective (frame / clip / project)
- should keep center on playhead (except fit all)
- Thumbnails allover timeline clips?
- Video scrubbing on bin thumbs hover !?
Removing visual glitches
Proper sizes on any screen dimension
- Monitor & Timeline toolbar tiny on highDPI (tools should be on top rather than bottom, which is for status?)
- Balancing panels sizes (=> sidebars?)
- Splitter to adapt timeline height hard to see & catch
Having everything properly aligned
- Always display tabs as titles => better alignment between panels, drag tabs
- Align texts in project bin table (should filename be a different field from description? could be the default description)
- Indent effects stack top line to lower sections
Informative feedback for tools state and possibilities
- Timeline: use more informative cursors
- resize: green blinking arrow uggly + shows only 1 direction => use splitter cursor (2 directions)
- over clip : 4 direction or hand cursor (ready to move)
- Point for fade too small => rather use hover icons in corners (à la Dolphin)
- Ctrl+Wheel (zoom) & other mouse shortcuts: should be noticed in status bar when pressing special keys?
- Track labels ("Video" and "Audio") give wrong info (both are generic... except for split audio !)
- Bin properties surprizing, how to close?
- add a info icon in prj toolbar (hover icons on thumbnails? no if we add scrubbing)
- Project search/filter => Label (HIG) ?
- Effects stack: header could be more informative
- "effects for [source]" is the same for all cuts => add track & timecode
- Effects list
- Click on group name should expand
- Right click should popup context menu with "add to current clip", "bookmark"
- Wizard => more frigtening than helping
- check install? => popup in case of important miss
- default profile? => rather always adapting to clips! (keep raw material quality) + add project bin action "Adapt profile to this source"
- in case of profile overriding (project close yo your target) & export settings, give more explanations (eg FrameRate by country?)
- Get Hot New Stuff: not in download menu but in Settings
Adapting UI for touch
- Getting leaptap controller from Shotcut
- Achieving precise actions with taps ? 1st tap to focus area, then...
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.