KTp/Troubleshooting

From KDE Community Wiki
< KTp
Revision as of 22:57, 10 December 2014 by Keithzg (talk | contribs) (→‎I can't connect jabber accounts: Fix has been released long ago now.)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

TroubleShooting

When compiling I get an error that it can't find TpQt4

Upgrade to latest TpQt4.

Empty Contact List 0.7

Upgrade to 0.8

I can't connect jabber accounts

Do you use *buntu? If so look in ~/.cache for a folder called dconf. If it doesn't exist create it; you've run into https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/telepathy-mission-control-5/+bug/939126 although this was fixed in telepathy-mission-control-5 - 1:5.12.0-0ubuntu5.

I see the error message "--> tp-qt4 0.5.14 WARN: GetAll(AccountManager) failed with "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown"

You have not installed all the dependencies correctly. KDE Telepathy relies on a daemon to be running called telepathy-mission-control-5. This should be available in your package manager already. You will also probably want telepathy-gabble and telepathy-haze which provide access to jabber and libpurple(MSN, ICQ etc) respectively.

I keep being told "Authentication Failed"

Make sure you have telepathy-auth-handler installed.

Do you have Empathy installed? If so remove it.

Also check all the steps in the following section.

Nothing happens when I try and start a chat with someone from the contact list.

It could be one of three causes.

Have you installed the telepathy-text-ui? If not install it.

Do you compile and install your programs to a non standard directory (anywhere but /usr)? The text-ui (like other parts of Telepathy) is Dbus activated, when the dbus method is called dbus itself finds the correct application to handle it and launches it. However it cannot do this if dbus does not know about the application. You need to make sure the files in yourinstalldir/share/dbus-1/services/* is copied to /usr/share/dbus-1/services.

If you have installed it since starting a telepathy component there is a good chance that the daemon (mission-control) will have started, any channel handlers installed since then are not recognised.

Therefore, After you perform any of the above troubleshooting steps, it is necessary to restart mission-control-5( you can do this by killing the already running mission-control-5 process and then starting it from /usr/lib/telepathy/mission-control-5 or /usr/lib/mission-control-5).

When I click on available accounts, I get an empty list

You need to install a 'connection manager'. These are upstream telepathy components that talk to the various IM networks. They should be available from your distribution.

You need.

Jabber/Gmail/Facebook : Telepathy-gabble
MSN: Telepathy-haze
+ Plenty more.

Google Talk disconnects with Network Error shortly after connecting

You need to check if your avatar (user picture) is small enough. Maximum file size allowed is 8192 bytes, maximum allowed dimensions for avatars are 96x96.

I cannot edit my MSN Account - or it consistently fails to connect with "Network Error"

We switched the library we use for MSN, make sure you have telepathy-haze installed, delete your MSN account and add it again. If you are up to date it will now use Haze as a backend.

Microsoft is pushing all users over to Skype for instant messaging, so access via the XMPP protocol is not possible after October 2013, and access via the MSP protocol is not possible after March 2014.
Source: Microsoft statement via Telepathy mailing list (archive)

Text-ui window uses the wrong style

This is a known bug in kde and the way in which dbus-activated applications start.

Workaround:

Run qtconfig (or qtconfig-qt4 in some distros) and in the first tab select the oxygen style (or whatever style you are using in kde) then save the changes and exit.

Alternatively, if you don't have qtconfig, edit ~/.config/Trolltech.conf, look for the [qt] section (and if there is none, create one) and add or change the "Style" variable like this:

[qt]
Style=Oxygen

You can replace oxygen with your favourite style.

Generate debug info for different components

mission control
gabble

pkill telepathy-gabble

GABBLE_LOGFILE=/tmp/gabble.log GABBLE_PERSIST=1 GABBLE_DEBUG=all G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=all /usr/lib/telepathy-gabble

the executable may be in a different path

kded4

start kdebugdialog and be sure that kded4 is activated, then kquitapp kded ; sleep 2; kded4 check for errors in ~/.xsession-errors

MSN-XMPP doesn't connect

You need telepathy-gabble >= 0.16.1