Real time Communication has traditionally been a detatched feature of Desktop Computing, provided via stand-alone Instant Messaging clients with poor integration into the desktop experience. One of the primary goals of the KDE 4 series is to tighten integration between different components of the environment. The Realtime Communication and Collaboration (RTCC) project aims to tackle just this.
Our aims are:
- To integrate Real Time Communication deeply into the KDE Workspaces and Applications
- To provide a infrastructure to aid development of Collaborative features for KDE applications.
If you find these goals appealing, why not consider getting involved. C++ programming is *not* a necessity.
- The RTCC project uses the cross-desktop Telepathy Framework as the basis for our work.
- We should try and reuse code from Kopete/other already existing code wherever possibly. However, this should be balanced with the need to refactor/rewrite where appropriate to keep the new code true to Telepathy idioms.
At this stage, the best way to get involved is to contact the existing team, either on IRC (#kde-telepathy channel on irc.freenode.net) or on our mailing list.
Before you start playing with/hacking on the Telepathy integration stuff, you need to get it all compiled: Instructions
1) Build components equivalent to a traditional IM application, using Kopete code as much as possible, and integrating with other Pillars of KDE where appropriate.
2) Add advanced Telepathy features such as voice/video.
3) Build components and Convenience classes to enable real-time communication and collaboration features in any KDE SC app that wants them.
What we need to get done. This is divided into two sections:
- Phase 1 contains the tasks which *must* be completed in order for us to make a first release.
- Phase 2 contains other speculative major features that we will probably implement once Phase 1 is complete.
These are the essential tasks which must be completed before we can make a first release. Adding or removing tasks from this list requires a consensus on the kde-telepathy mailing list first. Click on a task title for further information about that task.
|IN PROGRESS||Account Management GUI||George Goldberg <grundleborg googlemail com>||Web SVN Link|
|IN PROGRESS||Chat Window App/Lib||Matt Rogers <> David Edmundson <kde davidedmundson co uk>|
|NOT STARTED||Logger Application|
|IN PROGRESS||Buddy List App||George Goldberg <grundleborg googlemail com> Dario Freddi <drf kde org> Help much appreciated||Web SVN Link|
|NOT STARTED||Desktop Wide Tp::Approver|
|IN PROGRESS||Telepathy Integration Daemon||George Goldberg <grundleborg googlemail com> Dario Freddi <drf kde org> Help much appreciated||Web SVN Link|
|DONE||Presence Plasmoid||Abner <>||Web svn|
This section contains features that will *probably* be implemented once the first release has been made.
|NOT STARTED||Port Kopete plugins to Telepathy infrastructure|
|NOT STARTED||Add voice/video call support to Chat UI|
|SPECULATIVE||Add a internal Tp::Approver to Kopete|